Alphabakes – Honey Joys

I never use to think there was much difference between writing a recipe post and a restaurant review post… but now that I’m working full-time and trying to blog part-time :P I have much less time and I find recipe posts to be much easier and less-time consuming. That’s because there are usually less photos for a recipe and because my ‘plating’ and decorating skills are so amateur lol I usually just take the photos on the kitchen bench or on a nice plate.

Another reason is with restaurant/café reviews, I like giving you an overview of the restaurant, the history and if I had the chance to speak to the owners share their story and experiences with you that’s why my reviews are usually so slower than my recipes.

Anyhows, I’ve gotta stop blabbering on about nothing hehe just a quick overview, I have survived two full weeks of full time work, slowly getting use to the new life style of getting up early in the morning and sleeping at a decent time. So far so good with the new job I really hope it just gets better woo hoo :) I’ve met some really nice people and made some great friends ~ would like to say a special thank you to Ri Ri for being so supportive from day one!

You may know through Twitter/Instagram that my sister (Win Win) is visiting from HK, so things have been a bit crazy lol working during the day, going out and night and a 6 hour trip to Sydney lol we’re two crazy sisters :D I’m gonna miss her SO SO SO much when she goes back tomorrow :( I managed to do quite a bit of baking the weekend before and one of them was for this month’s Alphabakes challenge, which is hosted by Caroline Makes this month.

The letter for the month is ‘H’ ~ I was so worried when I first saw the letter…uh oh…what cakes and desserts do I like that start with the letter ‘H’…and then Mr Bao said to me the other day when we were at a café…’Can we order a HONEY JOY?’ and that’s it! I was totally inspired to make Honey Joys for this challenge hehe of course I refrained him from getting the Honey Joy, it was $3.80 (AUD) for a single Honey Joy when it’ll cost me around the same price to make him 12 :P

Curtesy of Mr Bao he took the photo :)

Question for all my lovely Readers, are Honey Joys an Australian ‘dessert’? Because I was really surprised when I told Brian (blew1)  that I was going to make Honey Joys, he had no idea what they were ~ I grew up with Honey Joys, not something that you would buy but you would always see them at kids parties :D

They’re SO simple, quick and EASY to make it’s silly LOL it took me all up I swear 3 minutes to prepare, 3 minutes to put them in the little muffin trays then 10 minutes to bake, in which I had time to wash all the dishes while they were baking ~

For Readers who may not know what Honey Joys are they’re cornflakes covered with a mixture/syrup made of butter, sugar and honey, then you bake them for 10 minutes to ensure that they’re crispy! YUMMY!
Recipe – Honey Joys adapted from Kellogg’s Australia

Yield – 12 large or 24 small ones

Ingredients
90grams butter

1/3 cups (75 grams) sugar

1 tablespoon honey

4 cups Corn Flakes (plain not sugar coated ones)

Method
1) Preheat oven to 150 ° and line with patty cases

2) Melt butter, sugar and honey together in a saucepan until frothy

3) Add corn flakes and mix well (be careful because it’s really easy for the corn flakes to ‘jump’ out of the saucepan’

4) Quickly spoon the mixture into the patty cases

5) Bake in over for 10 minutes. Take them out and let it cool before serving.

See I told you they’re really easy to make and I’m sure the kiddies will love you if you made them some Honey Joys :D and oversized kiddies like Mr Bao will also like them ~

Tagged: , , , ,

37 thoughts on “Alphabakes – Honey Joys

1. Vien @ We Dare Food May 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm Reply

I’ve never heard of honey joys before! so maybe it’s Australian? :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm Reply

Really? I never thought that they were Australians hahaha and just thought they were really common ~

• Vien @ We Dare Food May 28, 2012 at 11:11 pm Reply

I’ve had cornflake cookies before but nothing like this! The usual one would be with rice bubbles and mashmallow! :D

2. kellysiew May 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm Reply

I’m sure I’ve seen this outside of oz but might not be called the same. It’s simple and most enjoyable! Shall make this too for Frank since he loves cornflakes!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm Reply

Sounds like a great idea :) I have yet to find someone who doesn’t like Honey Joys hehe yeah i think i’ve seen them in HK or somewhere else in Asia but they’re called something else hehe ~

3. Choc Chip Uru May 23, 2012 at 5:59 pm Reply

We used to make honeyjoys in kindy – best time of the year :D
    You bring so many memories and cravings with this scrumptious dessert!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm Reply

I know :) I remember having these all the time back in Kindergarden, Primary school and even High School :) I think there are some desserts that bring you more memories hehe ~

4. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals May 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm Reply

Daisy, thank you for sharing this recipe! I am going to “Pin” it on my Food Board, looks like such an easy and delicious snack for kids parties! So happy you are adapting to the new working life style, it’s always good to enjoy what you do!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm Reply

YAY! :) so glad that you like it Jeno ~ I’m still haven’t started Pininterest lol how silly of me :P but then i’m so jealous when I see you guys use it! I’m definitely adapting lol it’s not easy at times but I really like the people that I work with :D

5. Hahaha these honey joys always make me laugh. I made them with a little girl in Germany and she was so amazed by them! She thought they were the best thing ever!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm Reply

Hahhaa i know so many people like these but then they don’t know how easy and simple it is to make! Was it the first time the litter girl had heard of honey joys too? I still haven’t worked out if they’re Aussie or not hehe :P

6. bakingaddict May 24, 2012 at 7:12 am Reply

My mum used to make these with chocolate chips! I absolutely love them and have not made them in ages. Thanks for entering these to AlphaBakes!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm Reply

Ooo chocolate chips?! that sounds great I think i’m gonna add them in next time! When does your mum add them in? ~

• bakingaddict May 25, 2012 at 8:21 am Reply

Just before you spoon them out into cases to bake but after you’ve allowed it to cool sufficiently that it won’t melt the chocolate chips when you pour them in.

7. Nic@diningwithastud May 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm Reply

Oh I remember my mum used to make these for me for school fetes. I love them :D havent had them in years!! Need to make them this weekend

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm Reply

Definitely make them! :) They’re so yummy and nostalgic hehe I never knew they were so easy to make!

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm Reply

This is my favourite school fete item! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm Reply

Me too :) my mum never made them at school so i would also look forward to going to school fetes and end of term days and pray that other mum’s would make them :D

9. Ames May 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reply

We would have Honey Joys sold at our school fairs and I loved them! Still do :D I love how easy they are to make too and your presentation looks great as well! Thanks for subscribing to my blog too btw, Daisy ^^

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 10:13 pm Reply

You’re very welcome Ames :) love reading your posts ~ Thanks for supporting my blog! I know me too i love Honey Joys hehe and it was a good excuse to make them for Alphabakes hehe :D YAY!

10. libishski May 24, 2012 at 10:24 pm Reply

Ahh, this takes me back to my childhood!

I always assumed that they were Aussie because we grew up eating them and none of my cousins in Indonesia knew what they were! (but of course, they liked them when they had them for the first time).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm Reply

I actually didn’t think so much lol until a friend from the US said he’s never heard or had any before :P i was shocked hahaha because I thought they were ‘international’ and everyone knew what they were hehe :D

11. Kirk May 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm Reply

Where’s my piece? It seems that I never try ur baking?

• Kirk May 24, 2012 at 10:45 pm Reply

Lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 10:46 pm Reply

Hahaha it’s because you’re too talented and I’m too embarassed to give you my ‘baked goods’ la :P and these are too simple and easy la!

12. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 24, 2012 at 11:16 pm Reply

That does look easy to make, and delicious too! Now I know what to do with all the cornflakes I never manage to finish..

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm Reply

hahaha i know what you mean :) I always finish my muesli but never seem to be able to finish cornflakes…:P

13. winstonthehungryexcavator May 25, 2012 at 6:37 pm Reply

Hello! Good on ya for posting recipes too. And I agree, they do tend to be much easier to post! I’ve actually never had Honey Joys because but I grew up with cornflake cookies, which are very similar! Basically the HJ on a basic butter cookie, it’s delicious! Thanks for bringing me back to my childhood hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm Reply

Thanks Winston :) I’m trying to post more recipes too but it’s hard to find time to make them, take photos and write about it hehe :D Maybe they are Australian because it seems like not everyone has had honey joys before hehe ~ I’ve heard of cornflake cookies before but not sure if i’ve had them but they sure sound tasty! If you the recipe blog about it soon!

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 26, 2012 at 3:27 am Reply

Nope, I’ve never heard of Honey Joys so it can be Australian thing? If it’s well-known sweets, then I think I (even though I don’t make desserts and all) should know… =P Looks so easy to prepare. Great kiddie snack too!

And agree with you – recipes are much easier than travel/restaurant reviews. Oh boy, my Japan post took forever than a recipe (even though I have a lot of pictures to process). I highly admire of you for doing that work. It’s not easy!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm Reply

I think they’re Australian too Nami hehe not many people out of Australia seem to have heard of them before :) but they’re really easy and yummy so maybe you can give it a go this weekend and give your kids a little treat :D

Yes recipe posts are easier but then still taking photos is hard, especially the ones in my kitchen hahaha it’s always so messy!

15. Rice Bowl Tales May 26, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

I normally get a notification by email to tell me that you’ve got a post up, or fb news feed, I’ve seen neither this time, wonder why!!
    At least I ‘found’ it now, so here you are, juggling working, baking and blogging, not to mention the shopping and eating out, what a busy bee!!
    This Honey Joys reminded me of my early baking days with our kids haha … those were the days!
    p.s. have you received my letter through the post yet?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm Reply

Hello Jane :) I’m sorry I’ve been meaning to Facebook you, so sorry but like you said lol i’ve been running around doing a million things and i simply forgot >_< sorry! I got it yesterday morning just before I went to work ~ It definitely made me smile all day! Thank you once again! I'm gonna put the donation through tonight and will you the link through facebook!
      You've heard of Honey Joys Jane? So maybe they're an English baked good and was then introduced to Australia? :)
      If you still have issues with the notifications or emails, please let me know ~ WordPress has been acting a little funny lately.

16. Hannah May 31, 2012 at 9:03 pm Reply

Teehee, I remember these would always be at school fetes but I always bought the mars bar slice and toffee cups instead :P

17. Saskia (1=2) February 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm Reply

I came here via a google search as I was wondering whether honey joys are Australian too! Seems they must be. Great blog – looking forward to a good read of it with my afternoon coffee (wish I had a honey joy to go with it)…

18. Cris April 2, 2014 at 4:16 am Reply

I`ve never heard about these sweet treats :( But now that I found then, I will surely try them out! They do look delicious! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Cris

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2014 at 1:04 am Reply

You definitely have to :) They’re so so so Australian ahahah hope you like them too xx