We Survived – Live Below The Line :)

I am truly SORRY everyone! For being MIA and also for the missing post! I don’t know what happened, but I had blogged about the Live Below The Line challenge, last week, but somehow it disappeared, and went back into my ‘Drafts’ folder, and the photos and some of my text had been deleted :( It’s never happened before and I definitely hope it wont happen again. I’m so sorry for everyone who have been looking for this post. But I’ve just republished it and really hope it works ~

WE SURVIVED! We survived a whole day – 3 meals and all that for under $2!

Well Done Mr Bao :)

I am so proud of our whole group! As of now Mr Bao and I raised a mere $340 but our team Food Lovers Collective as of now has raised over $3000!!! That is truly amazing!!! I would like to say a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who donated to me or the team! We never would have been able to do it without the support! I was absolutely blown away when so many people offered to donate, especially bloggers who I have never met before in person also donated and support us! THANK YOU!

Would also like to commend Mr Bao because he actually participated this challenge with me and did the whole challenge without cheating! I’m totally impressed, because when I told him about the challenge, he was very apprehensive and wasn’t keen in joining. And I don’t blame him…there’s not much food you can buy with $2 and he has quite a big appetite and he likes his meat. But he went through with it! Well done dear you did a wonderful job for a great cause :)

Now I wanted to give you an update and overview of what we ate yesterday and how we fit it into $2AUD ~

My Meal Plan

Breakfast - Eggs and Bread

Breakfast eggs and bread ~

I usually have muesli and yoghurt for breakfast, but yoghurt is quite expensive so is muesli, I had to find a cheaper option. So I worked out that eggs where actually quite affordable if you buy the smallest and cheapest in bulk, they work out to be around 13c each :) And if you buy the cheapest ALDI white loaf of bread ($1) it works out to be 6c per slice ~ cheapest carbohydrates I could find lol

Lunch - Banana and Bread

A slice of white bread again

Banana ~

I have breakfast pretty early at 6:30am so by the time it was 11am I was STARVING lol but still had to wait till 12:30pm for lunch ~ and instead of the normal salads, soup and sweets I’m use to ~ I had a banana and a slice of bread instead. I never knew bananas were so expensive…even if they’re only $1.99 per kilo, it works out to be 56c each! Pretty expensive when you only have $2 hehe then I had another piece of bread because that was the cheapest and easiest way to fill up. I was so hungry that I didn’t even take a photo of it hehe I loved how FakeGF (Joanna) described it as a ‘deconstructed’ banana sandwich hehe made me feel instantly better!

Dinner – Apple, Egg and Bread

I had tutoring after work, so I left work at around 4:30pm, got there at 5:30pm did my tutoring and at 6:30pm I was famished! But I had no food with me…until I looked into my bag and I found a Pink Lady Apple!

Saved my life!

I was SO happy I WAS about to scream and yell and do a happy dance! I have never been so happy to see an apple in my whole life and hahaha I have never felt so much love before! Mr Bao had intentionally placed it in there because he knew I’d be hungry after work~ YAY! I quickly finished off the apple, went home and Mr Bao had already prepared dinner for me…it wasn’t hard considering he had already boiled an egg for me and I just needed another piece of bread lol

My dinner ~ same as breakfast

And funny enough I had 31c left….and I was still hungry so Mr Bao worked out with 30c, I could have 65g of apple or something like that lol so he cut the apple in half weighed it out and gave it to me lol once again I was so grateful to have an apple because it’s actually quite filling hehe :P

31c worth of apple lol

Total Cost:
Eggs 13c each = I had 4 = 52c
Bread 6c each = I had 3 = 18c
Banana 56c each = I had 1 = 56c
Apples 43c each = I had 1 and 30c worth = 73c
Grand Total = $1.99

I just made it under the $2 mark :) WOO HOO! I was so worried that I was going to go over or that I was going to cave in because so many of my friends, family and colleagues were offering to donate food to me but I had to decline every single one of them :(

Mr Bao’s Meal Plan

Brunch – Eggs, Plain Mash and Bread

Mr Bao’s breakfast ~

Mr Bao doesn’t need to wake up early, so one of his strategy was to sleep in so he can have a ‘bigger’ brunch to make it more sustainable lol so he had a far bigger ‘brunch’.
He started off with eggs and bread, like me (we don’t have a toaster lol), then while he was munching on that he started boiling the potatoes to make his ‘plain mash’, with no butter and no salt lol we worked out that a kilo of potatoes were 87c, so he had already planned out to fill up he was going to eat 1kg :D I was worried that he wasn’t going to like the mash and was going to give up. But nope he ate the plain mash with the eggs, and surprisingly said it wasn’t too bad ~

Dinner – Bread, Plain Mash and Chicken and Ham Sausage

I was sure that with only $2 I wasn’t going to be able to eat any meat, so I had given up on even looking at buying any of it lol but Mr Bao was convinced that he was going to be able to find some type of ‘cheap’ meat and he wasn’t going to do the challenge if he wasn’t going to get some meat hahaha and alas he found a chicken and ham sausage roll thingy from ALDI for only $2.47 a kg!

Plain Mash and Sausage

Total Cost
Eggs 13c each = He had 4 = 52c
Bread 6c each = He had 4 = 24c
Plain Mash Potato = He had 1kg = 87c
Sausage = He had 100g = 26c
Grand Total = $1.89

I can’t believe it! He spent less than I did and managed to eat MEAT lol I’m so glad we did the challenge, as it was definitely an eye opening experience for us, I know now food can be cheap and affordable if you’re willing to do some research and buy at ALDI or markets :) I have also learnt to appreciate the abundance of food that I have around me and not take it for granted. Hopefully we’ll be able to do the full challenge next year and raise even more money!

Celebratory Dinner :)

Would like to say a special Thank You to all team members especially FatBoo (Bryan) for inviting me to join the team and for the celebratory dinner we had the following Saturday after the challenge ~ It was the first time I’ve met other Melbourne bloggers it was an amazing night, of course most talk was about food but it’s so nice to be able to ramble on about food without feeling bad that I’m boring them :D Bryan was just as intelligent and witty as I imagined him to be, Winston was the most friendly and caring guy I’ve met and Leaf and Simon were the loveliest couple! I can’t wait for our next get-together :D A shame Jade and FakeGF (Joanna) wasn’t able to come but I’m sure we’ll find to meet later on ~

Thank you to all my friends, family and readers who have donated money to this challenge, just wanted to let you know that they charity is accepting donations until August :)

Tagged: , ,

32 thoughts on “We Survived – Live Below The Line :)

1. fatboo (@fatbooo) May 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reply

It was wonderful to meet you too! I am so glad we teamed up for this, made it a lot more fun to do. And yes, doing it for one day is much harder than if you went 5 days and/or pooled with friends. It is so humbling to see that the apple was a lifesaver for you.

And also take note, they will take donations till August, so we have lots of time! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 15, 2012 at 11:38 am Reply

It was definitely nice to finally meet you Byran :) Sorry that I didn’t have any change I still owe you a shaved ice next time we meet ~ I totally agree that being in a team and having that support was wonderful! I think I’m gonna challenge myself next year and do the 5 day challenge instead hehe I will never take an apple for granted ever again hehe
      OHHH till August? I’m gonna change that bit I didn’t know that’s great cuz then i’ll be able to donate some more money would have gotten my pay then YAY!

2. Vien @ We Dare Food May 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm Reply

Well Done! :) What an amazing job! hehe and yay to that life-saving apple too!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 15, 2012 at 11:39 am Reply

Thank you VIen :) It was definitely a worthwhile challenge ~ I never knew an apple was so important hehe

3. Norma Chang May 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reply

Congratulations to you and Mr. Bao, he is a very caring and thoughtful person. All the very best to you both.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 15, 2012 at 11:55 am Reply

Thank you Norma :) Mr Bao is alright sometimes hahaha he was actually quite cranky that day hehe

4. Choc Chip Uru May 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm Reply

You guys are so courageous and wonderful – I am very very very proud of you all :D
    Words cannot express how happy I was when I saw you had an apple my friend :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 15, 2012 at 11:56 am Reply

Thank you very much my dear friend Uru :) that’s very sweet of you to say so ~ We only did the small part that we could, we really should have done the 5 days maybe next year ~ YAY! The apple was my lifesaver that day never in my life will i take an apple for granted!

5. Ames May 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm Reply

Congrats once again to you and the team, Daisy! One of things I’m a bit concerned about for next year is that I’ll be working full time during that period but if you can do it, I’m sure I’ll survive too :). Yay for apples!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm Reply

Thank you Ames :) It was a wonderful experience ~ I was a bit worried too because I just started full time work that week :) that’s why I only did it for one day, but it’s actually not that bad and when you do it with others it’s great support :D LOVE apples now more than before hahhaa

6. Faith May 15, 2012 at 1:10 am Reply

This is amazing, Daisy!! You and Mr Bao definitely rose to the challenge beautifully. Such a good cause too — you are inspiring! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm Reply

Thank you Faith :) I’m so glad I did it! Mr Bao did very well and I can’t believe he ate more than me but spent less lol ~ I hope I can do other things to help others!

7. leaf (the indolent cook) May 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm Reply

Good work both of you! I share your sentiments on apple joy – every time I ate an apple during my challenge it felt like a wonderful refreshment.
    It was also really fun to meet you (plus Bryan and Winston) for the first time! It was a great night. Looking forward to future gatherings, too. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 21, 2012 at 10:28 pm Reply

Thank you Leaf :) it was tough but so glad we did the challenge hehe ~ the apples honestly saved my life and made it much more bearable hehe so nice to meet you we have to do it again soon :D take care!

8. Christina @ The Hungry Australian May 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm Reply

Well done, Daisy! You should be very proud of yourself. I wasn’t able to participate this year but I so admire those of you who did. Awesome effort!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm Reply

Thank you Christina :) we’re very proud and especially amazed by the support we got ~ we hope to do the full week next year. Hope you’ll participate with us!

9. bakingaddict May 22, 2012 at 9:00 am Reply

Well done Daisy and Mr Bao!! I’m very impressed!! Quite a few UK bloggers joined in too so I’ve been reading all about this. It’s a great challenge and a great eye-opener. Really makes you think about what you spend on food. I’m not sure I could last a whole week!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reply

Thank you Ros~ We’re so proud that we actually did it lol and honestly especially Mr Bao! LOL I didn’t know that this challenge was international ;) that’s great! I wish i had known so then I would have been able to read about how they did it hehe and it definitely makes you think! We’re trying to reconsider how we spend money too hehe

10. Rice Bowl Tales May 22, 2012 at 11:19 am Reply

Love is … give someone an apple when they’re hungry … ;p
    Very well done you two!! For surviving a whole day on under £2. The most difficult part must be having to go to work, try to concentrate, and not think about food … haha!
    And you did it! So proud of you :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm Reply

Thank you Jane so much for the support! I am still so touched that you actually sent us money to donate :) LOL Love is forcing the other to do something you don’t want to hahaha ask Mr Bao and he’ll definitely tell you that ~ I agree the worse was actually working…and having to concentrate and decline my lovely new colleagues the food and coffee they wanted to ‘donate’ to me :P

11. machisan May 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm Reply

What gorgeous pics you took of the food. Looks insanely delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm Reply

Thank you :) I just took them with my phone and used Instagram haha it wasn’t that delicious but thanks anyway~ so kind of you to say so!

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm Reply

hehe I had no doubt you were going to survive Daisy! ;) And well done to you! :D

13. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 23, 2012 at 2:43 am Reply

Awww it’s good to read how you 2 managed to pull through. :P I would totally not have lasted! I had a pretty big dinner and I’m now starving, for some reason I digest really quickly.
    And I love the ‘deconstructed banana bread’ concept. :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reply

It’s really good that you digest things really quickly because it means you can eat more without gaining weight hehe :) i wish I had that type of body type!!!

14. Cupcake Crazy Gem May 23, 2012 at 4:22 am Reply

Wow that does not look fun at all Daisy – a day without chocolate or cake for me is a very sad day so I can only imagine how you felt! but well done, that’s awesome that you were able to do it – I’m very impressed! and glad now you can enjoy all sorts of tasty treats again!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 10:18 pm Reply

Thank you Gem :) I’m so so so glad I was able to make it through the day and hahaha now indulging in cakes again woo hoo ~ But still would like to participate again to help those in need!

15. You’re so funny:)
    Congratulations on both living below the line:)
    That meat Mr Bao bought from Aldi….so cheap! Is it even meat?! I’m thinking it could be pink bread…in a sausage/meat shape haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm Reply

Hhahaa glad you find me entertaining Kim :P i’m so glad we survived and it’s all over hehe I totally thought he was lying until he actually showed me that sausage…it really was pretty bad didn’t taste very nice but hahaha Mr Bao needed his meat so he found away to get some LOL even if it was just 100grams hehe

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 26, 2012 at 3:32 am Reply

Amazing. You two did it!!! If I tell my husband he might ignore me…. Mr. Bao is a wonderful guy who is so supportive for you! It’s amazing how much you can do with team. $3000 is not easy to collect!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm Reply

Hahaha Poor Mr Bao will do ‘most’ things i ask him to and because it was for a good cause he couldn’t really come up with a good excuse to ‘not’ do it hehe :) I’m still amazed that we were able to raise over $3000 ~ I’ve received more donations since then too!