Our Challenge – Below The Line

Big warm HELLO to everyone :)

I’m so sorry for being quiet once again. It’s really frustrating me! Working full-time has sure made things harder…but the WORSE thing is the internet at home…it’s just hopeless, we’ve been using one of those ‘Pocket-wifi’ things but the reception in our new apartment is just horrible! So I’ll be uploading a photo for my post, then because the connections so slow that it wouldn’t go through and I’ll have to do it all over again and uploading one photo will take more than 15 minutes…and even if I have been able to upload the photos…it wouldn’t let me post….SIGHHH so I’m EXTREMELY sorry! We were supposed to get the internet installed yesterday, but the STUPID company TPG said there’s something wrong with the cables in the apartment and we may need to pay for it! Argh…should have never signed up with them :(

Anyhow, enough of the complaints, I have something exciting to tell you today! Mr Bao and I are participating in the Live Below The Line Challenge tomorrow for a day! For those who aren’t familiar with the Oaktree Foundation and this challenge, we are challenged to spend no more than $2AUD for a whole days worth of food. We’re actually part of the Food Lovers Collective team which consists of Bryan (Fatboo), Winston (Hungry Excavator), FakeGF and Jade :) We’ve done really well so far and have raised over $1300! WOO HOO!

I’d really appreciate if you could please support me by donating any amount within your means :D

It’s definitely going to be a challenge for us because we constantly over-indulge in food and especially for me lol as you all know. But for a good cause I’m willing to do it :) and I feel horrible that I’m only doing it for one day, because the others have been doing it for the whole week! This isn’t really a good excuse but because I just started at the new job Mr Bao didn’t want me doing it the whole week. Sorry team but I’ll still try my best to get the donations :D

The rules to this challenge is pretty strict, we need to factor in all costs of food and beverages and even condiments such as sugar, salt and any herbs you may use to season the food. Because we’re only doing it for a day, Mr Bao and I only have $4 between us to spend, so it’s going to be pretty tight… we have a fair idea of what we’re going to eat lol and so far we have 3 staple foods – eggs, bread and apples :)

My new best friend tomorrow :)

We’ve worked out, the cheapest eggs that we found at a market were $5 for 3 dozens = 36 eggs.

So it’s roughly 13c per egg. It’s $1 for a loaf of bread so that works out to be 6c per slice and apples depending on the type and price it’ll be around 30c each.

We spent so much time at ALDI today to see if we’re going to be able to get anything else with our ‘$2′ but I think we’re going to be pushing it hehe :P Especially since Mr Bao who loves his meat and I love my sweets.

Once we’re done with the challenge I’ll write another post detailing the food that we ate, how we made it and the amount we raised.

Thank you once again for your support everyone! :)

50 thoughts on “Our Challenge – Below The Line

1. liannelow May 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm Reply

(: Good on you for taking on the challenge babe! Very proud of you! hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 9, 2012 at 10:02 pm Reply

Thanks Lianne :) we just worked out our meals tmr lol it looks scary hehe

2. leaf (the indolent cook) May 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm Reply

Good luck with the challenge! Looking forward to seeing how you do.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2012 at 9:56 am Reply

thank you Leaf :) i’m only doing it for one day ~ it’s amazing how you did 5!

3. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals May 10, 2012 at 12:20 am Reply

I am on team Dairy! Woo Hoo you can do it!

4. tastehongkong May 10, 2012 at 1:25 am Reply

Good luck to you on both the internet and the challenge : )!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2012 at 10:12 am Reply

Thank you Taste :) really hope we get the internet at home soon and I’ve only just survived the morning hehe can’t wait till the day ends

5. bakingaddict May 10, 2012 at 4:24 am Reply

Hope you’re settling in ok in the new flat and new job. Well done for taking on this challenge! Good luck and I look forward to reading all about it. I’ve read about lots of other bloggers participating and I really applaud all of you. Well done!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2012 at 10:16 am Reply

Thanks Ros :) the new job is great people here are so relaxed and they’re really understanding hehe that I’m new and all woo hoo! I finally got my own extension today, locker and mailbox all set! Now i’m just doing bits and pieces and waiting for another colleague to come back from his sick leave. I just jumped at this challenge but now lol just surviving the first few hours in the morning…it’s already pretty hard! SIGHHH but for charity I’m happy to do it hehe :D

6. Choc Chip Uru May 10, 2012 at 4:25 am Reply

Good luck in the challenge my friend! So happy you are competing :D
    Hope the Internet is fixed too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2012 at 10:17 am Reply

Thank you Uru :) definitely a challenge for me especially cuz i’m always indulging but I think it’s for a great cause ;)

7. Vien @ We Dare Food May 10, 2012 at 8:25 am Reply

GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK!!! :D

8. hotlyspiced May 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm Reply

I had my share of internet strife when I moved house and I was two weeks without a connection. It was so maddening and frustrating. I couldn’t believe how my life unraveled. Good luck with the challenge Daisy. That is not much money at all. I hope you both don’t starve. Imagine doing it for a week! But like you say, a great cause xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2012 at 8:15 am Reply

Oh i thought I replied to your comment Charlie but somehow it’s disappeared but that’s okay ;) I know getting the internet is just so HARD it’s crazy! We’re still waiting sigh….Mr Bao threatened to take TPG to the TIO ombudsman and now I think they’re gonna speed things up but it’s still soooo damn annoying ~

The challenges over WOO HOO! I did go to bed with a relatively empty stomach but as a team we managed to raise over $2000 so we’re really happy hehe YAY!

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm Reply

Good luck Daisy on the challenge Daisy! Can’t wait to read all about it :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2012 at 8:31 am Reply

Thank you Lorraine :) it’s over now woo hoo can’t wait to upload the next part of the post hehe ~ It really puts things into perspectives hehe

10. libishski May 10, 2012 at 11:28 pm Reply

Internet problems are a pain in the arse! Trust me, we’ve had our fair share of them! Our connection is pretty volatile so we get outages quite a bit – we’re with TPG too! :( I hope it gets fixed very soon, though.

A few girls from my work are doing this $2 Challenge as well. I had never actually heard of it until now but this is something that I’d love to sometime. In the meantime, I’d be happy to donate to your team. GOOD LUCK! :) x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply

OMG you’re with TPG too? We’ve been with them before and I swear they weren’t as annoying sigh…but this time it’s just really annoying! grrrr Mr Bao sent them a pretty ‘hefty’ email and now I hope it works hehe

I’m so glad I did the challenge and even though it was just for one day, it’s really made me think about the way we eat but hahaha still happy it’s over now :)

11. Ames May 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm Reply

lol, now I’m thinking I should have tried it for a day even if I couldn’t do it for the full 5 days this year…. opps! Hope yesterday went well :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2012 at 2:29 pm Reply

Doesn’t matter there’s always next year :) and I only did it for one day and that was already enough to put things into perspective for me lol

12. ironchefshellie May 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm Reply

Well done Daisy! There is no way I could do it, so I definitely admire anyone who can!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reply

Thanks Shellie I only did it for one day and that’s nothing compared to what the other bloggers have done for 5 days WOW

13. myfoodtrail May 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm Reply

Good on you for doing this challenge! Even though it’s only for a day, it’s still an achievement!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reply

Thank you April :) I wished I could have done it for a couple more days…but then it was really quite hard and lol Mr Bao would never had let me hahaha i nearly fainted after doing the 40 hour famine one year LOL

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm Reply

Ugh I hate internet trouble! I’m having some issue with router or whatever it is. So frustrating. Hope you get internet installed soon. And good luck with the challenge!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm Reply

Thank you Nami! I’m still haven’t internet troubles and to make things even worse…Mr Bao’s computers died… so now i’ve gotta share computers to with him sighhh :(

15. Michelle May 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm Reply

Do write about your challenge!

16. Rice Bowl Tales May 11, 2012 at 8:23 pm Reply

It’s very good that you and Mr Bao are doing it and supporting each other, otherwise it would have been a lot harder! And how sweet was him to have smuggled an apple in your bag for you!! You two are so adorable together :)
    Please trust me to send the £20 donation, haven’t had time to pop round to post office yet, but definitely will go tomorrow, sorry my old man doesn’t trust money sent through internet to unknown accounts, he’s so old fashioned!!
    Look forward to reading all about your below the line experience ~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm Reply

THANK YOU Jane :) I am honestly so touched and flattered that you would actually send me 20 pounds…you honestly didn’t have to do that! I will put the donation through once I recieve it and don’t stress you can send it to me whenever no rush!
      I’m a bit old fashioned too hahaha i don’t really like using my credit card online either so it’s all good ~ i have never been SO happy to see an apple lol

17. delicieux May 11, 2012 at 8:33 pm Reply

Good luck with the challenge Daisy. I really applaud you for doing it and I can’t wait to read all about it.

18. I-Hua Lim (@msihua) May 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm Reply

Well done guys! I can’t believe you’re all doing it and doing it well :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm Reply

Thank you I-hua it was amazing to do it with a group and it’s kinda ironic lol that we’re all foodies hehe and we gave up food :P

19. I wonder how it went:) Back in the day when I ate oats, I was sure I could do this challenge by just eating oats. But now I know they make me sick, so I am not sure what I could eat. Eggs are a good idea. They fill you up and are cheap per unit.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm Reply

It went quite well Kim :) i was hungry that day but it was totally worth it :) but yeah i’m soooo glad that i chose eggs so filling! too bad oats make you feel sick glad you know now what to avoid!

20. Nic@diningwithastud May 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm Reply

What a great challenge! Cant wait to hear about the recipes

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm Reply

LOL there weren’t many recipes cuz it was like eating a raw diet that day hehe but will share with everyone hopefully tonight or by tomorrow the latest :D

21. Jill | Dulce Dough May 13, 2012 at 11:39 am Reply

Good luck with your challenge! I’m sure it really makes you think about the value of the food you eat.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm Reply

Thank you Jill :) i survived hehe woo hoo! It definitely makes me think and that you are able to find good and healthy food that’s cheap too :D

22. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake May 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply

Has your challenge ended? How did it go? Hope you still factored in some nutrition! But this is a great idea, really makes people aware and conscious of how much food money can really buy and how unfortunate some people are…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm Reply

Hello Jenny :) it ended woo hoo and we’ve been celebrating :) I did have some nutritionish meals hehe especially the eggs and apples did the trick ;) it definitely made me think and now I don’t always need to get ‘branded’ food ~

23. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals May 16, 2012 at 1:26 am Reply

Good for you Daisy! You and Mr. Bao did it! I laughed out loud when you wrote about how happy seeing that apple made you, hahahahah! With my blood sugar not very stabilized now a days, eating a slice of bread and 1 egg would have put me out of commission, there’s just not enough protein!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 16, 2012 at 8:36 am Reply

Thanks Jeno :) it’s true I was so so so happy when I saw that apple and now i am forever grateful for a pink lady apple hehe I have a pretty weak stomach too so I wasn’t sure if I would make it but i did WOO HOO :D YAY!

24. kellysiew May 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reply

$2 a day wow! I think I’ll be eating porridge for the whole week haha. Well done!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 18, 2012 at 9:36 am Reply

Hahaha thanks that’s what i thought but Mr Bao managed to eat quite well :)

25. penny aka jeroxie May 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm Reply