Unlimited Ice-cream – Tiffin

Thanks everyone :) it’s so wonderful to be back ~ I just hope I keep up with the posts, because I start work on Thursday…I’m actually quite nervous…it’ll be my very first 9am to 5pm full-time job… so to relax I’ve just been eating and baking as MUCH as I can :D and since coming back from HK, I’ve really missed the high teas there that’s why I wanted to take you back to HK and let’s go to Tiffin at the Grand Hyatt hotel YAY!

Just wanted to let you know it’s not just any high tea this one has an ‘unlimited ice-cream dessert station’. That means unlimited ice-cream, unlimited ice-cream cakes, waffles and waffle baskets!

Ice-cream Station ~

Tiffin is pretty well-known for their dessert buffet and I celebrated my birthday here the year before with Mr Bao. It was funny because initially Mr Bao was going to have the ‘dessert buffet’ with me meaning only sweet goodies and nothing ‘savoury’. However, once we got there…Mr Bao felt so sick just looking at the desserts hahaha and immediately asked for an ‘upgrade’ to allow for full access to the buffet and not only limited to desserts. We really enjoyed the food, so when Joyce invited me to go check out the new high tea with the ice cream station I was really excited.

You have a few options, tea set for one or two, and with or without unlimited access to the ice cream station. Without even thinking about it we got the tea set for 2 :) Prices change depending on whether its a week day or if you go on the weekends, an afternoon tea set for one Monday-Friday is $218HKD ($27 AUD) and for two is $436HKD ($54 AUD), while Saturday-Sunday an a tea set for one is $238HKD ($29.50 AUD) and for two is $476HKD ($58.90 AUD) plus 10% service charge.

Very pretty stand ~

I was impressed by the multi layer stand that they used to serve our high tea ~ it wasn’t the typical 3 tier stand that you see at most hotels. Instead this was a very ‘high’ and ‘long’ with 5 layers, spread out like leaves on a tree :) so pretty hehe

Scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream

We always start with the scones hehe they were slightly warm, and even though they were pretty good, but I found them to be a little dry and crumbly… Sigh a common issue I had with scones in HK :(

Scones that was good but a little dry :(

Moving on to the sandwiches, I really liked the filling especially the one with the caviar and the salmon one with cream cheese, but nothing too excited and once again the sandwiches were quite ‘dry’, I think it’s because most tea sets are pre made and left out uncovered, until customer’s order it.

Sandwiches salmon and chicken ~

On another leaf, there were two little savoury pastries, one on the left is a mini Quiche Lorraine and even though it was quite tasty, I didn’t like the pastry, it was a little too thick and dense. They were was two little pieces of bread and served with a little bowl of pate, Joyce didn’t really like it, while I thought it was quite flavoursome :D

Savoury Pastries - mini Quiche and bread with pate

Now to the sweets :) I was a little disappointed with the desserts that came with the tea set. It had a little piece of ‘Opera’ cake, I ve found that I don’t really like this type of cake, or maybe it’s just that I have been unlucky and have never had a good one. There was also another mango cake, once again another disappointment…no offence to Asian bakeries but it tasted like the sponge and mousse cakes from those bakeries. Which I don’t think is really acceptable in a five star hotel.

Opera and Mango Sponge Cake

Then on another leaf they had a Raspberry Lamington with a macaron on top – not too bad, but the sponge cake felt a little too ‘moist’, the Eclair was quite nice and I liked how it was so tiny and last but not least a very mini Lemon Tart, which was alright but it wasn’t ‘tangy’ enough for our liking and once again the ‘pastry case’ wasn’t done very well.

They also had two little cannolis, a white chocolate one and dark chocolate one ~ they weren’t too bad, Joyce and I particularly liked the dark chocolate.nshe thought the white chocolate was too sweet, while I thought it was fine ~ actually a little impressed that you still taste the white chocolate in it.

Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate Cannolis

Overall, not too impressed with the desserts that came with the tea set, so we couldn’t wait to raid the ice cream station. We started off with their homemade gelato first, they had someone stand behind the counter and all you had to do was tell them what you wanted ~ they had a couple of flavours to choose from – lemon, hazelnut, pistachio, mango, chocolate, green tea, blood orange, blueberry and vanilla.

Homemade gelato

They also had a range of condiments and goodies you could put on top yourself, like honeycomb, chocolate fudge, chocolate balls, and chocolate chips. It was heaven to me :D

Condiments~

Even more!

You can put any condiments you’d like, but the lovely chef standing behind the counter will help you scoop it out and I loved how they also did a little plating too hehe made it so pretty before giving it to us :)

Joyce waiting patiently ~

My friend Joyce waiting patiently, while the nice chef kindly scoops and plates our ice-cream :)

Green Tea and Blueberry Flavour

We liked the green tea because it had a strong ‘matcha’ flavour, however, in terms of the texture of the gelato, it wasn’t very smooth and I don’t know if this makes sense but a little too ‘airy’. Not the best gelato I ve had but taking it into consideration that they re not an expert at making gelato it’s already pretty good.

Chocolate and Hazelnut Flavour

I really liked the hazelnut flavoured ice-cream because it reminded me of a Ferrero Rocher hehe ~ the honey comb is to DIE FOR though :) it was so crunchy, sweet and lovely! I wish I could buy a bag and eat on the way home ~

Baked Alaska and Tiramisu Ice Cream cake

We were pretty full by now, but we still tried the other ‘ice-cream’ cakes they had in the other cabinet, we started off with a Baked Alaska and then a Tiramisu Ice-cream cake ~ I don’t remember the last time I had a Baked Alaska, but a few days before going to Tiffin, I watched a show where Jamie Oliver was making one so it made me want to try :) I didn’t really like the ice-cream in this one, I don’t know why the flavours just didn’t go… but I really liked the egg white coating and how it was blown-torched to create that effect ~ The tiramisu ice-cream cake wasn’t too bad either, however, we would have liked the coffee flavour to be stronger ~

In conclusion, I enjoyed the high tea here, there were areas for improvements such as the dryness of the scones, sandwiches and pastries, however, I did enjoy the unlimited ice-cream and the ice-cream cakes hehe so if you’re looking for another place for High Tea in HK, definitely give Tiffin a go, even if you just go for the ice-cream station :P

Tiffin Grand Hyatt Hotel
Mezzanine Floor, Grand Hyatt Hong Kong,
1 Harbour Road, Wan Chai
灣仔港灣道1號君悅酒店閣樓
PH: +852 2584 7722

Tagged: , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “Unlimited Ice-cream – Tiffin

1. andy1076 May 1, 2012 at 3:41 am Reply

Wow I never seen wraps for high tea, let alone unlimited ice cream! Love the decor and set up :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:19 pm Reply

Hello Andy :D I know I haven’t seen sandwich wraps before but they were quite nice and unlimited ice-cream was just simply to die for hehe ~

2. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals May 1, 2012 at 5:01 am Reply

Hi Daisy! Good luck this Thursday, you will do great!

The high tea looks real good, I’ve yet to have proper afternoon tea, but the experience is definitely on my bucket list. My sister is taking her family to Hong Kong this Summer, the ice cream bar will be a hit with the kids, I will definitely forward your blog to her for ideas!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:24 pm Reply

Thank you Jeno :) I’m surprisingly nervous ~ but with all the support from you and everyone else I should be fine! Gotta be confident hehe
      The high tea was quite good ~ Its a shame that you don’t live closer if not I would ask you to have afternoon tea with me hehe Ohh nice I hope your sister will like the places I have recommended :D

3. Choc Chip Uru May 1, 2012 at 5:48 am Reply

You have got me all excited! I am going to a high tea soon and judging by pictures of this delicious place, it will be awesome! Thank you thank you thank you :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:25 pm Reply

Ohhh which high tea are you going to? It’s so addictive :) once you’ve gone once you’d wanna go again hehe ~ So glad you’ve enjoyed this post!

• Choc Chip Uru May 2, 2012 at 4:32 am Reply

You know The Rocks? Swissotel there is the best! [Apparently] ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm Reply

Ohhh really? I m hoping to go to Sydney soom hopefully I ll have the chance to go hehe :)

4. bakingaddict May 1, 2012 at 6:14 am Reply

Good luck with your new job Daisy! The afternoon tea looks amazing… unlimited ice cream? Yes please! Shame the scones and sandwiches were dry but at least you got ice cream. I wish i could just bake and eat all day. Then again it may not be the best thing for my health or my bank balance! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:27 pm Reply

Hello Ros :) Thank you I’m gonna need all the luck that I will get ~ woo hoo! I know unlimited ice-cream at an afternoon tea it was AMAZING hehe! I’ve come across the same issue with dry scones and sandwiches in HK sigh…but doesn’t matter the ice-cream and other desserts made up for it I guess ~ you know that would be my dream to ‘bake and eat’ ALL DAY LONG ahhahaa *high five girl*

5. Vien @ We Dare Food May 1, 2012 at 8:38 am Reply

That is one funky multi-tier stand! Looks like it belongs in an art gallery :P hmm.. never seen an ice-cream cone used as canolli shells before!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:32 pm Reply

Hello Vien :) i really like this multi-tier stand hehe very different from all the other ones i’ve seen ~ neither have i with the ice-cream cone canollis but at least they were nice hehe

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm Reply

Daisy, I miss Hong Kong too and I only just got back :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:33 pm Reply

I know what you mean Lorraine :( i miss my sister, nephew, friends and of course food and shopping :D

7. libishski May 1, 2012 at 4:19 pm Reply

Compared to Australia, high tea in HK seems pretty cheap… then again, you DID have to deal with sub-standard desserts for the most part. The unlimited ice cream seemed to have made up for it somewhat though which is good!

Good luck with your new job!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm Reply

I know Libby :) i didn’t think it was so much cheaper than high teas in Melbourne…especially since the HORRIBLE high tea I had over the weekend for $45 per person! And even though desserts weren’t suburb, the service and ‘unlimited ice-cream’ made up for it hehe YAY!!

Thanks I’ll need luck with the job hehe ~

8. Wow.
    If only this place existed in Australia:)

9. Norma Chang May 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm Reply

All the very best with your new job, Daisy!
    Wishing you success!

10. hotlyspiced May 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm Reply

What a great title for a blog post – that certainly got my attention. Good luck with the new job. It’s always a wee bit scary starting a new job but I’m sure by the end of the first week you’ll be absolutely fine. What a great place to go for a high tea – that assortment of food is incredible! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm Reply

Hahaha i knew that’ll catch your attention Charlie :) thank you trust me I’m SUPER nervous right now…but I’m definitely going to try my best and I think like what you said, as long as I survive the first week it’ll be okay. And I just spoke to some people from the office today and they seem really nice hehe :D

11. Cupcake Crazy Gem May 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm Reply

Daisy – you had me at unlimited ice cream! how awesome is that! and the macaron on top of the lamington made me laugh – how random! Good luck in your new job, I gave you some awards on my blog today if you want to pop on over to see how to pass them on :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm Reply

YAY! Gem that’s so sweet of you to give me an award on your blog :) i’m definitely going to pass it onto other bloggers ~ I was really confused with the macaron on the lamington too… it was so weird hahaha but oh wells pastry chefs like doing weird things in HK LOL ~ Thanks again!

12. machisan May 2, 2012 at 1:05 am Reply

what an enjoyable place to have a sumptuous Afternoon Tea

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm Reply

Thanks for dropping by my blog :) it was sure a good afternoon tea hehe yay! Sooooo happy especially with unlimited ice cream ~

13. Rice Bowl Tales May 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm Reply

Shame that we only got one stomach ~ too many yummy things and not enough room!! Unlimited ice-cream with all those delicious tasty amazing looking treats!! I may skip the tea set and just have the ice-cream with as many trimmings as possible haha ~ I am imagining it now ……

Good luck and all the best for tomorrow, hope you’ll enjoy your first proper job, and put in as much enthusiasm as you do with your blog if not more :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 2, 2012 at 6:06 pm Reply

Thank you Jane :) I really am SO nervous… Really hope it ll all be oki… I think I just need to survive tomorrow then it ll all be oki after that hehe YAY Mr Bao is giving me a lift to work yay!

I totally know what you mean able skipping the tea set hehe when i have the chance to go back I m definitely going just got for the ice-cream as the tea set itself wasn’t very good hehe

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm Reply

I’m so jealous of very nice high tea in HK. Are you charged up for this coming Thurs? You will be fine! Good luck with the longer schedule. :-) By the way, my friend’s close friend (I know her too) is working at Spoon as a pastry chef at Intercontinental. Have you been there?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm Reply

There s no need to be jealous Nami! I m sure there s plenty of good places in the States for good afternoon tea :) at least the ones I had in NYC was AMAZING hahaha ~ I know that restaurant Spoon but didn’t get the chance to go :( Ohhh wow a pastry chef! That’s amazing is she from HK too?

• Nami | Just One Cookbook May 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm Reply

Yeah she is originally from HK but I think she went to school (most of schools) here in SF. I thoug
        ht it would be cool if you review the restaurant one day. ;-)

15. MoMo & Coco May 2, 2012 at 10:37 pm Reply

Are you a HK-based blogger? Why can’t we Melbourne-peeps have high tea like this? *sob*

16. MoMo & Coco May 2, 2012 at 10:39 pm Reply

Are you a HK-based blogger? We didn’t realise! :o

Why can’t we have high tea like that here in Melb???! *sob*

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm Reply

Hello Momo and Coco :) Thanks for dropping by ~ I’m actually a Melbourne-based blogger, but I go back to HK regularly and was there for the past 4 months. So that’s why there’s quite a few posts about HK ~

Sighhh we really are short on good places for High tea in Melb…but i still want to try the one at the Intercontinental :)

17. winstonthehungryexcavator May 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm Reply

Beautiful array of food! I do love hotel buffets in Asia, always great to splurge on once in a while. And the Hyatt is a good place to do that. Fun times eh? ;D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 3, 2012 at 8:10 pm Reply

Definitely fun times :) I’m really missing the High Teas and food in HK but it’s also good to be back hehe I like the cafe and coffee culture here ~ YAY!

18. Ames May 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm Reply

Oh wow! This looks like a little bit of heaven on earth! I confess I scrolled to see the photos first and then got so excited with each one… only to realise it’s in HK >.< *sigh* I will definitely put this on my itinerary if and when I head back to HK :). Thanks for sharing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 3, 2012 at 9:23 pm Reply

Hello Ames :) Thanks for dropping by my blog! I know what you mean lol I’m always reading blogs from overseas like the States and the UK and i get really sad when I realise I wont be able to go :( but definitely put it done on your itinerary and next time you go to HK make sure u go hehe hope they still have the unlimited ice-cream station :P

19. Lauralovescakes May 6, 2012 at 12:29 am Reply

Wow this place looks amazing! I may have to visit HK again just so I can go here! :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm Reply

It’s definitely an amazing place :D hope you get to go to HK soon ~

20. Miss Madeline May 6, 2012 at 11:56 am Reply

Oh my gosh…that ice cream bar looks heavenly!!

21. beti May 7, 2012 at 5:28 am Reply

I really really really want to go! I don’t know if the gelato is better than those lovely looking macarrons

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm Reply

LOL i definitely think the gelato is better than the macarons :) hpoe u go to Hk soon ~

22. cattynet May 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm Reply

Hahah I think I would have gone straight for the ice cream! YUM!

23. Nic@diningwithastud May 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm Reply

OMG unlimited ice cream?!?