Rich & Thick – Chobani Yoghurt

Do you say ‘YO-ghurt’ or ‘YOG-hurt’? :) I remember there was a lecturer back at Uni who was English, he would also use ‘Ski Yoghurt’ as an example to explain a marketing theory, and the whole class would laugh because we all say ‘Yo-ghurt’ but he’ll argue and correct us saying it’s ‘YOG-hurt’ hahaha no matter how you say it, I’m CRAZY about yoghurt! The one thing that we always run out in the house is ‘yoghurt’! I down at least a tub or two a day ~ Mr Bao sometimes gets annoyed that he always needs to buy ‘more’ yoghurt :P really should make my own…especially since Lorraine (Not Quite Nigella) and Kim (Fruit Salad Mixed Veg) have both written great posts about making your own yoghurt ~

Anyway, that’s why I was SUPER excited when Chobani asked me if I’d like to sample their yoghurt ~ I have read and heard of some amazing things about their yoghurt and really wanted to try so it was perfect timing :D

For those who don’t know, Chobani is one of America’s most famous yoghurt and have recently entered the Australian market :) It was founded by Hamdi Ulukaya in 2005, who was born and raised in Turkey, he decided to make his own yoghurt because he didn’t like the yoghurt sold in the supermarkets. I was really surprised when I read that, because I always thought American’s made pretty good yoghurt hehe ~ but then after trying Chobani…I now understand why Hamdi decided to make his own! It’s so much better ~ Thicker, Creamier and Richer hehe

I was sent all 7 Flavours – Mango, Peach, Strawberry, Blueberry, Pineapple, Passionfruit and the Plain :) Unfortunately, by the time I took photos for this post…Mr Bao had already eaten the  ‘Mango and Passionfruit’ flavour -____-

Extremely thick and yummy :)

Before I go through the flavours with you, just wanted to show you exactly how ‘THICK’ Chobani’s yoghurt is ~ it was so thick that it wouldn’t even move when I shook it furiously, I dunno why I did that though lol

I stuck a spoon in and it didn’t ‘move’ at all! I don’t think I’ve ever had a thicker yoghurt ~ I usually just eat ‘Jalna‘ yoghurt and thought that was already pretty thick :)

Remember to mix it ~

I’m sure you guys are smarter than me hahaha I remember the first time I opened the tub of yoghurt, I was a little lost, why was it so ‘white’ and ‘where’s my fruit?’. Mr Bao rolled his eyes and said ‘It’s probably at the bottom,just mix the damn thing’ so I did and there it was ~ The lovely fruit puree YAY! The one in the picture is the pineapple flavour ~ I don’t see many yoghurts that have a pineapple flavour so I was pretty surprised hehe I liked the pineapple flavour and get to have both tubs because Mr Bao can’t eat pineapples :P

My favourite Blueberry ~

My favourite would have to be the BLUEBERRY flavour :D It had the thick consistency, but I just think it was the best combination with the blueberries, wasn’t too tart or too sweet, just right ~

Strawberry flavour ~

Mr Bao loves strawberry flavoured yoghurts and desserts ~ he liked this strawberry yoghurt, but thought the strawberry puree tasted it a little artificial and didn’t really provide him with the fresh strawberry flavour he was looking for. I had the same feeling, and thought the strawberry puree was a little bland ~

Plain Yoghurt

I made the mistake of having this ‘plain yoghurt’ with some cereal :( because it was quite tart and a little to pungent to have on its own, but I could definitely see myself cooking and making desserts with me :) However, it might be a little thick if you’re trying to make a sauce so you may need to stir it or thin it down with some oil ~

Peach Flavour ~

Quite nice :) but I’m not really a peachy person so this wasn’t my favourite ~

I didn’t take a photo of the mango but that would be my second favourite, because I love mango flavoured yoghurt and it didn’t taste like ‘artificial flavouring’. I also tried the passionfruit, but didn’t like that because it was too sour, trying to be healthy, I don’t like adding extra ‘sugar’ to my yoghurt, but I had to add a little bit of honey to finish this tub of yoghurt.

Overall, I really liked Chobani’s yoghurt and will continue buying it :) I really love their rich and thick texture, the only problem is they’re only selling their yoghurt at Woolworths right now and I usually shop at Coles…damn lol but doesn’t matter, for good yoghurt I’m happy to go to Woolworths :D

Thank you once again Chobani for giving me the chance to sample your wonderful yoghurt ~

Daisy@Nevertoosweet was not paid to write this review and was based on my own personal taste, preference and experience.

Tagged: ,

52 thoughts on “Rich & Thick – Chobani Yoghurt

1. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals April 20, 2012 at 3:09 am Reply

Hey Daisy! I envy folks who can eat yogurt without feeling stomach discomfort! The Chobani brand looks yummy, I love how thick the consistency is, maybe I will get a few and devour them after taking my Lactaid supplements!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 12:57 am Reply

Hello Jeno :( Oh no i’m sorry to hear that you can’t eat yoghurt, but heard that there are lactose free yoghurt now? Have you tried that? ~ Are you able to eat Ice-cream even though you’re lactose intolerant? ~

2. lovefoodcookfood April 20, 2012 at 3:25 am Reply

I love a thick yoghurt and that looks delicious. :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 12:59 am Reply

Me too :) I only really like yoghurts that are ‘thick’ and ‘creamy’ ~

3. andy1076 April 20, 2012 at 3:47 am Reply

Now that’s what I call yogurt lol :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:02 am Reply

Totally :) Can you get it in Canada? ~

• andy1076 April 22, 2012 at 1:03 am Reply

Fraid not :( :( :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:04 am Reply

Oh damn :( that’s a shame but i’m sure u guys have other yoghurt brands ~

• andy1076 April 22, 2012 at 1:05 am Reply

Yups! we do have the greek kind too but even that gets old real fast :( I like that the one you posted has fruits ‘n all

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:12 am Reply

Oh :( the Greeks one you can get don’t have fruit? That’s a little strange because most yoghurt in Australia and America are fruit based ~ Maybe yoghurts not as popular in Canada? Doesn’t matter when you go to the US next you’ve gotta try Chobani and eat more yoghurt hehe!

• andy1076 April 22, 2012 at 1:15 am Reply

I always try to! best source of all sorts of vitamins and in some cases even protein :) love it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:30 am Reply

Same here I try to eat yoghurt for the protein too hehe ~ yumyum! Maybe you can make it youelf at home ;)

• andy1076 April 22, 2012 at 1:12 am Reply

Oh and we do have the yoplait and danone yogurts but boy they are so bland :(

4. Choc Chip Uru April 20, 2012 at 4:56 am Reply

That is so cool! I did not realise Chobani yoghurt had come to Australia! I figured it was only American – yay!!! I have heard fabulous things about said yoghurt and hour review makes it all the more stunning :D
    Pineapple? Come to me ;)
    That is so cool that they sent you a whole tasting pack – nice one!

• Choc Chip Uru April 20, 2012 at 4:58 am Reply

PS I say YO-ghurt (have never understood the English way ;))

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:03 am Reply

I know it was very nice of Chobani to send me a sample because this is actually the first time I have received any products to sample hehe :)

I didn’t know about Chobani before another blogger did a review and when I tried their yoghurt ~ LOL Mr Bao and I are now fighting each other over the last 2 tubs hahaha

5. liannelow April 20, 2012 at 7:48 am Reply

YUM! I love love love thick yogurt! Which is why I usually get mine from Vic Market. The freshly made ones. hehe This would be a good alternative if I’m lazy to go all the way there to get it! Thanks for sharing babe! hehe I would definitely LOVE the mango and peach ones! hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:06 am Reply

*High Five* So glad that you like thick yoghurt too hehe ~ I didn’t know that the Vic Market sold freshly made ones woo hoo! I realy want to try! Can you please tell me the name? Mango is one of my all time favourite too ~ You’ve gotta go to Woolworths and get some Chobani I bet you’ll like it hehe!

• liannelow April 22, 2012 at 10:04 pm Reply

I cant quite remember the name but it sells fruit juice as well in Shed A! haha should be able to find the shop easily! hehe I shall go get some Chobani soon! hehe

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 20, 2012 at 9:20 am Reply

Hehe the yog-hurt versus yo-gurt debate! :P I say yo-gurt but I have noticed a lot of English say yog-hurt! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:13 am Reply

Hahaha me too I say ‘yo-gurt’ and always thought that was the ‘proper’ way…but then lol I might be wrong hehe either way as long as I get my yoghurt i’m happy hehe

7. Julie April 20, 2012 at 10:04 am Reply

<3 my fav yogurt love love them <3 My fav is mango and blueberry as well!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:14 am Reply

YAY! Great minds also have the same tastes hehe ~ I’m running REAL low gotta go stock up soon hehe

8. John Cunnington April 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm Reply

It’s sad that the Chobani available in Australia that I have tasted was so powdery…is this a function of powdered milk being used or the planned texture?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:18 am Reply

Hello John :) Thanks for your comment hat’s a shame that you didn’t like the texture of the Chobani yoghurt in Australia. I don’t really know anything about the milk powder, but I did look at the ingredients and they don’t seem to use any milk powder. I know right now that all tubs produced and exported to Australia. I hope you find another yoghurt that you like :D

9. kellysiew April 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm Reply

I love yoghurt too and have been making my own since Lorraine’s post. You can achieve really thick consistency with home made one too. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:30 am Reply

I really should try make my own! I haven’t bought the flask that I’d like to make it in yet hehe ~

10. libishski April 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm Reply

I got an email from these people too but I ignored it hahaha. Kinda wishing I didn’t now because the yoghurt looks really good, but I think at the moment I’m happy sticking to my beloved Barambah Organic yoghurt :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:35 am Reply

Ohhh Barambah Organic Yoghurt? Sounds very yummy :) I’ve never heard of that before hehe ~ where can you get it? I really want to try hehe !

11. msihua April 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm Reply

Waaaaahh!! So many flavours! W00t!

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 21, 2012 at 3:45 am Reply

I have tried Chobani brand yogurt before and they are yummy! My favorite is blueberry too. I think Chobani is more on expensive side, otherwise I’d choose this over other kinds… =P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:40 am Reply

Welcome back Nami :) Missed seeing you so active in the blogging community hehe ~ I didn’t know that Chobani was more expensive because they were on special here the other day and was only $1.99 which isn’t too bad hehe ~ but don’t matter you can have it on special occasionally because they are slightly high on the calories so not really suitable for those who are ‘dieting’ lol

13. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake April 21, 2012 at 5:26 am Reply

Dunno how American yoghurts are in general and I have never heard of chobani to be honest (I’m living in Europe) but I like mine on the thicker side as well. I may be a bit weird when it comes to yoghurts that have the fruit purree at the bottom but I always eat the plain, slightly infused yoghurt first and THEN the fruits. haha ;)

14. bakingaddict April 21, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply

The yoghurts look really thick and solid! I’m not a huge fan of eating them – much prefer to use them in baking!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:42 am Reply

Really Ros :) somehow I pictured you as a ‘yoghurt’ person lol doens’t matter if you don’t like it but definitely try baking with it hehe can you purchase Chobani in London? ~

15. Rice Bowl Tales April 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm Reply

It was so lovely to have Chobani sending you all those yummy yoghurt to try, and you did an excellent job as always writing and passing on the verdict.
    I love Greek yoghurt; honey, passion fruit, coconut & mango are my favorite!! Over here, we called them yog – hurt too :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:44 am Reply

It was definitely really nice of them Jane :) So glad you like my very first product review hehe ohhh i’ve never had coconut and mango yoghurt but it sure sounds good ~ Because these too flavours go so well with each other :p

16. hotlyspiced April 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm Reply

My mother-in-law says yo-gut and so my kids have always had a great laugh when she visits and wants her yo-gut for breakfast xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:45 am Reply

Hhaha it is a little funny how there are so many different ways to say ‘yoghurt’ lol :D Have a great weekend Charlie~

17. glamorous glutton April 23, 2012 at 5:22 am Reply

This thick yoghourt looks wonderful. I love Greek style yoghourts and this looks even firmer and creamier. I wonder if they’ll come to the UK. It’s definitely yog hurt here. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 2:55 am Reply

Sorry for the late reply :) GG I love greek yoghurt the most hehe I’m surprised that you guys don’t have Chobani yoghurt in the UK~ Because you guys usually get it before we do hehe do you get Jalna yoghurt? That’s good too hehe

18. Cakelaw April 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm Reply

LOL – I am a yo-ghurt girl myself.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 2:56 am Reply

Hahhaa me too :P *high five* think it’s an Aussie way of saying it hehe

19. beti April 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm Reply

I love this yogurth! specially since it’s really thick, I like to eat plain Chobani yogurth and I mix it with a variety of fruits and vanilla or cinnamon

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 2:57 am Reply

Me too! Love love love this yoghurt hehe :) it’s great ~ i don’t like the plain one hehe it’s way too tart hahaha but I can imagine it being very nice with some honey or cook with it :D

20. Faith April 25, 2012 at 3:18 am Reply

I’m a Greek yogurt-loving girl too! (Too funny, I guess I just realized that I say it “yo-gurt”! :) ) Plain is my fav — I like it tart! :) But I also like to add chopped fruit, nuts, granola, honey, or cinnamon for different flavor combos. Blueberry is my second favorite flavor. ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 3:00 am Reply

Hahhaa so maybe ‘yo-gurt’ is an ‘American’ way of saying it? But then we say ‘yo-gurt’ too in Australia hehe :D I thought the plain was too tart hehe but then I haven’t tried it with honey yet hehe gotta try it out :) loveee the blueberry flavour ~

21. Asmita (@FoodieAsmita) April 26, 2012 at 10:40 pm Reply

Hi,
    We only buy Chobani brand. We love all the flavors and is really delicious!

22. Cupcake Crazy Gem April 28, 2012 at 3:31 am Reply

I am a huge fan of YOG-hurt!! I had some coconut yoghurt and put some fresh raspberries and chopped up strawberries in this morning for breakfast and it was so yummy! I’m loving the sound of the pineapple flavour though, delish!