Thanks Kirk – Chocolate Orange Tart

Dear Loveliest Readers :) have you ever wanted to ‘make’ friends with someone who works in a specific industry or occupation? I do LOL I have always wanted to be friends with a PASTRY CHEF ~ That’s right someone who works professionally with pastries and sweet goodies everyday! But unfortunately… I never found this ‘special’ friend…until one day last year hahaha when Ellen a friend from Uni told me she was friends with a person who’s a pastry chef at a prestigious restaurant in Melbourne! I was SUPER DUPER excited about meeting this mysterious person hahaha after a couple of months of nagging…I was finally introduced to Kirk!

Welcome Kirk ~

Hahaha I hope Mr Bao wont be jealous when he reads this, but Kirk and I basically had ‘fireworks’ going from the moment we met :D it didn’t even feel like we just met LOL we spent hours talking to each other about pastries, our favourite chefs, TV shows and everything about food ~ and since meeting Kirk, he’s basically been MENTORING me! Teaching me new techniques and perfecting my old ones ~ Mr Bao and I have been so blessed! He’s always making us goodies – savoury for him and desserts for me YAY!

Now I am so happy and proud to say ‘I have a friend who’s a pastry chef’ hahaha and I love that I can share Kirk’s secret recipes with everyone ~ The other day, we had dinner with Kirk and he said to me, ‘I have a chocolate tart shell for you, go wild with your imagination’.

Kirk's Chocolate Tart Case ~

I was so so so happy :) because I’ve never really managed to make my own ‘pastry case’ so it was perfect, that Kirk had done the ‘hard work’ for me hehe I’ve been missing Win Win and my nephew quite a bit :( so I was inspired to make a Chocolate Orange Tart because that’s one of Win Win’s favourite flavours~

My First Chocolate Orange Tart~

I’m so proud of myself ~ because this is the first Chocolate Orange Tart I’ve ever made hehe and I made an effort to take photos when I was making it, to make it easier for my lovely Readers to follow the directions :) I’m sorry that my photos aren’t that great… I’m still working on it :)

Recipe: Chocolate Orange Tart
Adapted from Good Food Channel

Ingredients
Chocolate Orange Filling
350 ml Thickened Cream
300 grams Dark Chocolate, 70% cocoa, chopped into small pieces
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
2 tbsps Orange Liqueur or Orange Juice or Orange Essence
Orange zest for decoration

Pastry Shell:
1 Store Bought Pastry Tart Shell
Or
1 Homemade Pastry Tart Shell
Sorry Everyone! Kirk is on holidays right now so I don’t have the recipe for the tart shell yet, but will share with everyone once I get a hold of him :)

Method
1) Prepare the store bought pastry case or make your own using a reliable recipe :)
2) Heat the thickned cream in a small saucepan with most of the orange zest. Bring almost to a boil when small bubble forms around the side

3)  Pour the heated cream over the chocolate, stirring until the chocolate has melted or place it over a simmering pot of water, ensuring the bowl does not touch the water.

4) Once the chocolate has thoroughly melted and begun to thicken, stir in the orange liqueur/juice/essence.
5) Pour the mixture into the pastry shell.
6) Leave in a cook place (but not in the fridge) to set for 1-2 hours.

7) Sprinkle with remaining orange zest

All Done ~

It was really easy to make :D because I simply made the filling ~ woo hoo! I love easy and quick recipes, it only took me 20 minutes to make that’s why I made another tart while waiting for it to set hehe

I didn’t put any extra sugar so it was slightly bitter chocolate tart, and even though Mr Bao complained that it lacked orange flavour  I thought it was just right :P

Hope you liked this recipe ~ and Thanks again to Kirk for making it so easy for me :D

Tagged: , , ,

51 thoughts on “Thanks Kirk – Chocolate Orange Tart

1. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals April 17, 2012 at 11:31 pm Reply

Daisy, I can tell you really are thrilled to have Kirk as a friend! The orange chocolate tart looks amazing! I shy away from baked goods, because most of the time they don’t turn out well, plus it’s not good for me to have all that sweets around, but if you are my neighbor, I would drop by to have tea/coffee and a BIG slice of the tarte!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 12:50 am Reply

Yes Jeno I m so happy that Kirk and I are now friends hehe ;) you should shy away from baking? You’re such a wonderful cook I bet you d be an even better baker ~ but I d love to be neighbors with you and share all my desserts with you ;)

2. Choc Chip Uru April 18, 2012 at 6:17 am Reply

Omg what an awesome awesome friendship to have :D
    He must have been ecstatic to meet a baker like you :)
    This recipe inspired by his chocolate tart has me wondering if I need a pastry chef friend too ;)
    Looks:
    1. Insanely beautiful
    2. Insanely delicious
    3. Insanely chocolatey :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm Reply

I know :) it’s soooo great hehe he was pretty thrilled too I think hahaha at least I hope so :P

I think we all need a pastry chef friend ~ I’m glad you liked my Chocolate Orange Tart it’s the first one I’ve ever made :D

3. liannelow April 18, 2012 at 6:53 am Reply

wow babe! Lucky you to know a pastry chef! hehe and the tart looks super duper delicious! (: I want a piece!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm Reply

I know finally after all this time hahaha i have someone that I can pester about all my baking issues woo hoo! Come over next time and i’ll save you a BIG piece ~

• liannelow April 18, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

aawww (: you’re the sweetest babe! hehe

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed April 18, 2012 at 9:13 am Reply

oooo I love a chocolate tart case. & then chocolate upon chocolate, wow :)
    Heidi xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm Reply

Me too :) I love everything that’s full of good dark chocolate hehe ~

5. Brunch Addict April 18, 2012 at 9:28 am Reply

Wow Daisy, looks amazing! And so simple! I’ll hav eto give it a shot myself, however I don’t know where to get chocolate tart shells from in Melbourne?! I might wait for you to put Kirk’s recipe online before I give it a go.

EVERY foodie needs a pastry chef friend – me & Mr LB have one and she’s just incredible at what she does! Keep up the good work xox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 3:38 am Reply

Thanks :) it was simple I was a little amazed too hehe ~ you can buy premade chocolate tart shells at Essential in Prahan basically next to the Prahan market, if not please wait for Kirk’s recipe :) I promise you wont be disappointed hehe

I totally agree every Foodie needs a chef and pastry chef friend hehe :D *high five* with having a pastry chef friend too~

• Brunch Addict April 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm Reply

Oh I love the essential! Nice tip! Great, might just pop in the there over the weekend xoxox

6. Hannah April 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm Reply

Bahahaha, you managed to choose pretty much the only flavour combination that makes me feel physically nauseous even at the thought. But hey, I can cheer awesome food friends!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 3:52 am Reply

I remember you saying that last time ~ Its strange how we all like different things and how some flavours may make us feel sick hehe

7. Julie April 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm Reply

Very very blessed lol at the fireworks ;) haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 3:53 am Reply

hahahaha thank gosh Mr Bao doesn’t mind lol instead he’s happy that i can pester someone else about desserts and let him play his computer games in peace HAHHAA

• Julie April 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply

Does Mr bao happen to play starcraft? should intro him to my partner haha

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm Reply

How wonderful to have Kirk as a friend and mentor! :o

9. libishski April 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm Reply

Ooooooooh FIREWORKS! *wink wink*

Only kidding.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 3:54 am Reply

hahahahaa Mr Bao’s not jealous so I’m allowed to use that word ~

10. cara @ gourmet chick April 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm Reply

Wow this looks great – I love the combination of chocolate and orange. And very jealous you are friends with a pastry chef!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 20, 2012 at 12:34 am Reply

Me too :) it’s one of my favourite flavours and my sister is So jealous cuz it’s her favourite too LOL

11. hotlyspiced April 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm Reply

Chocolate and orange are just the most delightful combination. Your chocolate tart looks absolutely perfect. Love the little grated orange zest on the top! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 3:55 am Reply

I totally agree Charlie :) I love the Jaffa flavour hehe ~ I didn’t know what to do with the left over orange zest lol

12. Rice Bowl Tales April 19, 2012 at 1:28 am Reply

I love having friends that can bake and cook too. In our village, we always get together to exchange new recipes :) This pastry chef friend of yours Kirk, he seem so young! Can’t believe he would even be interested in cooking let along making cakes & tarts, really is a case of don’t judge a book by it’s cover haha!!
    Well done for keeping up with the bakings even you’re so busy everyday ;p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 4:00 am Reply

Ohh that sounds like a wonderful idea~ Sharing new recipes with others ~ i wish i had more to spend with Kirk in the kitchen ~ hahaha yeah he’s really young and talented hehe
      Thanks Jane for the encouragement ~ I try to bake as much as can It’s a little hard sometimes :D

13. Your tart looks so good! Can we all be friends with Kirk?:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm Reply

Thank you Kim :) Sorry I’m very ‘protective’ of my ‘pastry chef’ friend hahaha just kidding of course ~ hope i can share more recipes from Kirk hehe :D

14. Kirk April 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm Reply

Thx Daisy and everyone who left the comments. Its very kind to meet u all.
    Daisy: the left over orange zest can use for make some orange cupcakes:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply

You’re welcome Kirk :) Everyone’s so excited about you hehe it did cross my mind to make cupcakes but I was too busy making another pie hahaha

15. Michelle April 20, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply

kirk looks cute hehehe

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 21, 2012 at 3:48 am Reply

I’m ENVIOUS! You have a good friend… =D I wish I can have a pastry chef friend too (so that I can have some samples?? hehee). Your chocolate tart looks so beautfiul and you did a great job taking pictures too. Hmmm almost lunch time but I can skip for this delicious tart…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:47 am Reply

Thank you Nami :) I tried my best with the photos~ I’m really not such of a great photography and have absolutely no idea about styling hahaha so i’m very happy that you liked the photos and chocolate tart hehe

17. bakingaddict April 21, 2012 at 8:39 am Reply

Wow that is one amazing looking tart. I’ve never made my own pastry and I would like to have a pastry chef as a friend too so I’m just a bit jealous.. ok ok a lot jealous!! The photos are great, thanks for sharing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:51 am Reply

Thank you Ros :) ive never made it too ~ so glad Kirk made it for me hehe if not I don’t think I would have made this chocolate orange tart ~ perks of having a pastry chef friend hehe :D

18. Lauralovescakes April 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm Reply

Wow this looks fab…chocolate and orange are the perfect combination! :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 3:03 am Reply

Hello Laura, thanks for dropping by ~ sorry for the late reply! I really like this combination too :D

19. Cakelaw April 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm Reply

One word – yum!

20. Faith April 25, 2012 at 3:23 am Reply

You are such a lucky girl to have a pastry chef mentoring you! You are a quick learner — your tart looks perfect! Love the flavor of deep, dark chocolate. ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 3:27 am Reply

Thank you Faith :) I’m very lucky to have Kirk helping me hehe i’ve definitely improved lots ~ do you like the dark chocolate and orange flavour too?

21. cakeboule April 25, 2012 at 4:50 am Reply

Iit looks yummy! Well done Kirk its always great to have a baking buddy around! Especially with your sweet tooth!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 3:30 am Reply

Hahaha totally :P my sweet tooth is a little too ‘big’ LOL so glad I’ve met Kirk hehe

22. princeproductions April 25, 2012 at 7:08 am Reply

Its always good to be friends with.a.Patisserie chef! chocolate pastry is really tough to make so well done!! It looks fantastic :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 3:43 am Reply

Thank you :) Kirk is definitely a very ‘valuable’ friend hehe :P I’m glad the tart worked out hehe

23. Cupcake Crazy Gem April 28, 2012 at 3:29 am Reply

Wow how lucky are you to have made such a good friend with someone who can bake you pie shells! your chocolate filling looks so creamy and yummy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 30, 2012 at 12:26 am Reply

Thank you Gem :) I’m so glad we’ve met each other hehe i hope this feeling it mutual HAHAHA ~

24. Ellen Wong April 30, 2012 at 12:20 am Reply

Kirk will go back to MEL very soon……..Wish U and Kirk can 擦出多d火花.!!!! more cakes more desserts…..

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 30, 2012 at 12:25 am Reply

Hahaha thanks Ellen :) and for introducing Kirk to me ~ Can’t wait to see what cakes and desserts we’ll make this year! Take lots of care in HK!