Special Offer – Jam For Joe

Hello Everyone :) I still have a bucket load of places in HK that I haven’t blogged about yet, but I’ve also been eating out back at home, so thought it would be nice to blog about Melbourne again. I wanted to introduce you guys to a cafe in our local area – Jam For Joe in Blackburn.

Great place for catch ups~

It’s a discrete stand alone cafe on Blackburn Rd, located within the One Community Church, it’s quite easy to drive past it, so look out for the sign :) I have to admit, I’ve driven past Jam for Joe so many times, but never had the intention to check it out. Until one day, I got pretty bored of the cafes we usually go and dragged Mr Bao to go with me ~

Kids friendly cafe ~

I really like the casual decor of this cafe and all the natural light that they get, it really creates a relaxing environment :) Perfect for catch ups and because it’s situated right across a primary school and day care centre, it’s also a kids friendly cafe with books and toys for the kiddies to play with ~

The lovely Amanda who does everything :)

I’ve visited a few times and have wanted to blog about this cafe, so I told Amanda and Chef John that I was a food blogger and if they’d mind if I took photos and asked a few questions. I was so nervous that they were going to tell me to leave hahaha but they were so kind to speak to me and answer my questions. Amanda and John are business partners, and also in-laws, John is married to Megan (Amanda’s Sister) ~ I was a little embarrassed when I asked if they were partners, because I thought they were a ‘husband and wife’ team LOL! Amanda is in charge of everything besides cooking ~ she takes the orders, makes the coffee, serves the food, cleans the tables and collects the money! It’s amazing how she does it all on her own!

I also love how they came up with the name of the cafe, ‘JAM’ stands for ‘John, Amanda and Megan’ and ‘Joe’ is actually American slang for coffee :D

Chef John :)

This is Chef John ~ he has 25 years of chef experience and had previously worked at the Como Hotel and cooked for Bon Jovi’s Thanks Giving Dinner wow! I never thought I’d find such an experienced chef at our local cafe, that’s why we should never judge a book by it’s cover hahaha

Lunch Menu ~

They have a simple lunch menu, with only a few items to choose from but Chef John would rather use the freshest ingredients and focus on making them the best instead of having a large menu.

Skinny Mocha $3.5AUD

After a couple of questions, I was ready to eat and drink lol I hadn’t had breakfast so was starving again :P started off with a mocha ~ they use Jasper Coffee beans here. After spending more than 4 months in HK with bad coffee, this was definitely a decent cup of mocha, I could actually taste the coffee! But I would have liked it more if they had put more chocolate in it, because I couldn’t really taste it :)

Latte $3.5AUD

Mr Bao had his usual latte ~ he seemed to enjoy it saying that it was just right, wasn’t too strong or too weak :) LOL as per usual I drank all of the ‘milk froth’ because that’s what I like the most hehe ~

Baked Beans $14.50AUD

Even though it was close to 1:30pm, I really wanted ‘breakfast’ food. YAY they serve breakfast here till 2pm :) so I ordered the baked beans, I’ve had them before and remember it being very delicious! It’s actually one of their signature dishes ~

Love Poached Eggs ~

It’s homemade baked beans with chorizo sausages, baby spinach and topped with a poached egg. It’s also got some chilli which gives it an extra kick ~ which I love! But this may be a little hot for some people, so if you don’t really like chilli, just let Chef John know and I’m sure he’d be able to help you out. This is such a flavoursome and filling dish, I had to fight Mr Bao off, he kept eating it! The buttery toast matched well with the baked beans, but I think I would’ve liked sourdough instead hehe I like really dense breads :P

East West Chicken Burger $15AUD

Mr Bao had the Beef burger last time, and I remember that being so yummy too! But he’s on a ‘no beef’ diet because of his eczema so he got the East West Chicken Burger instead ~ it’s panini bread, with a chicken patty,tomato, roman lettuce and dressed with sweet chilli sauce with a hint of ginger :) Oh don’t forget the chips lol I didn’t take a good picture of the chips but definitely worth mentioning! They were so so so fresh and crispy! Think I’m gonna go back and just get chips next time :P

Yum yum ~

I’ve never had an Asian-inspired burger before, and really liked the ginger in the dressing and the chicken patty wasn’t ‘mushy’ like some others I’ve had, it had proper chicken meat hehe ~

Definitely recommend you dropping by if you’re around the area or looking for a new place to have brunch :) And thanks to Jam For Joe, all Never Too Sweet readers are given a special Muffin and Coffee deal for only $6AUD. You simply mention that you’re a reader of Never Too Sweet and you will get the deal :D

Thank you once again Chef John and Amanda for answering my questions ~ see you soon I still haven’t tried the salmon patties lucky that I only live around the corner :)

Daisy and Mr Bao @Nevertoosweet paid for all food and drinks mentioned in this post

Jam For Joe Cafe on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , ,

54 thoughts on “Special Offer – Jam For Joe

1. cattynet April 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm Reply

i think it’s great when you stumble upon a gem which you’ve passed many times. I do that occasionally because I always seem to go to the same place. and then one day i try something new and love it :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm Reply

I know what you mean Cat ;) sometimes you forget that the places that you go to on a regular basis is actually worth mentioning about hehe ~ how s your project burger going? :D

2. Libby April 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm Reply

Haha I also go past this place all the time (enroute Box Hill, actually!) but have never been. Because the cafe is within the grounds of a church, I always thought that the name ‘Jam For Joe’ was some kind of link to Joseph from the Bible so I had a bit of a giggle to myself when I read that it wasn’t!

Keen to try it sometime – that burger looks awfully good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 13, 2012 at 8:58 pm Reply

Hahaha i was wondering if you ve gone past it before because I know you live in the same area as me ;) I thought it was some church only cafe too! But then it turned out to be a really decent cafe hehe :)

You ve gotta go sometime ~ we can meet up there have first rounds then go somewhere else together hehe :)

3. Miss SL April 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm Reply

Omg that Asian burger looks INCREDIBLE!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 14, 2012 at 2:35 am Reply

It tastes even better than it looks :) you should come here for brunch hehe ~

4. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals April 14, 2012 at 12:22 am Reply

Daisy, that’s great the owners were friendly and you like the food there! We’ve been watching this show called Undercover Boss, and the last 2 episodes featured Australian business, one is called Boost Juice, the other is the transcontinent Train, very interesting to see how friendly and hard working Australian folks are, we will have to visit when my little girl is a bit older!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 14, 2012 at 2:37 am Reply

Yes Jeno :) I think it always helps when the owners are nice and ‘blogger’ friendly hehe ~ OHHH I know Boost Juice, they’re really famous here in Australia ~ i use to go all the time and down a massive ‘smoothie’ thinking it was really healthy hahaha but then found out there were up to 1000calories in one of those drinks hehe :D it’s funny how you think Australians are hard working, because I’ve heard people say we’re lazy LOL but please do come visit when your daughter’s a bit older~ I promise you’ll have an amazing time AND i’ll take you around~

5. Cupcake Crazy Gem April 14, 2012 at 2:42 am Reply

Wow those homemade beans look amazing! I love the look of that place. I didn’t realise you live in Melbourne – my friend just returned from holiday there and put her pictures up on facebook and I was amazed at just how cool and kitsch Melbourne is! I had no idea! It looks like the kind of place I would love! p.s tennis biscuits are like plain butter biscuits flavoured with coconut, they are seriously delish! I’m not sure what you would have in Australia that would compare! Can’t wait to hear how the key lime pie turned out!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 12:23 am Reply

Hello Gem :)
      Yes I live in Melbourne hehe born and raised actually, but I’ve been away in HK visiting family and friends for the past 4 and half months hehe ~ you really should come visit :D I’d love to show you around and go to all these amazing places with you hehe ~ OOO coconut flavoured biscuits! Very nice hehe I wanna try them too! But i don’t think we have them here in Melbourne…but I’ll try and hunt them hahaha :D

6. Norma Chang April 14, 2012 at 6:50 am Reply

That’s quite a gem in your neighbourhood.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 12:23 am Reply

Hello Norma :) Definitely a hidden gem hehe i’m slowly exploring my local area and not going to the popular places hehe ~

7. Asmita (@FoodieAsmita) April 14, 2012 at 7:04 am Reply

The photos are making me crave all this food. It looks amazing!

8. Glamorous Glutton April 14, 2012 at 8:00 am Reply

The food looks great, lucky you to have a local cafe like this. The beans and poached egg look really good. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 12:25 am Reply

Thanks GG :) it’s a great local cafe and nice place to catch up with friends hehe think I’m gonna go again tomorrow ~

9. bakingaddict April 14, 2012 at 8:15 am Reply

Wow the food looks amazing! I love little cafes like these. It’s great that you got to speak to the owners too. I’m sure you are glad to finally get a decent cup of coffee even if it needs more chocolate (bring your own next time! ha ha)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 1:15 am Reply

Me too Ros ;) i think little cafes are better than the chain or popular ones hehe sooooo glad it’s a decent cup of coffee yay! I think bringing my own is a good idea hehe ~

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 14, 2012 at 9:39 am Reply

That chicken burger looks fantastic and so juicy too! I like that there isn’t too much bread in it too! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 1:16 am Reply

Hahaha me too :) i don’t really eat a lot of the bread hehe I like the patty more :P

11. msihua April 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm Reply

Ooh what a pretty looking place!

12. Hannah April 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reply

Teehee, what’s the point of a mocha if you’re not swimming in chocolate? ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 1:18 am Reply

Totally agree! But at least it was a decent cup of coffee me not complaining after 4 months of bad coffee :P

13. Rice Bowl Tales April 14, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reply

I love family run little places like these. So personal and hands on, If the owners are working there full time are even better, that means all the food are prepared with highest standard possible. Very good of you to introduce them to us, for those who can pay a visit will appreciate the special muffin and coffee deal, for us who can’t go can still enjoy reading and drooling over the lovely egg on beans and chicken burger :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 2:57 am Reply

I thought it was really nice of Chef John to offer this to everyone who can go and visit :) it’s a shame that you’re not living here in Melbourne Jane if not we could go together hehe ~ I really like family run places too it just gives the cafe more personality :D

14. hotlyspiced April 15, 2012 at 7:21 am Reply

This cafe looks really good. I love how they have presented the poached eggs – that looks so good and tasty. And that sandwich! I want one of those. And the prices seem very reasonable too. Great cafe Daisy xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 2:58 am Reply

Its a great place :) I’m so lucky that they’re just around the corner from where I live hehe ~ I agree prices are very reasonable which is good! They actually do the lunch boxes for the school across the road the kiddies are SO lucky! I wish I had cafe quality food for lunch hehe

15. Cakelaw April 15, 2012 at 8:39 am Reply

What a cute cafe – and the food looks devine.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 2:59 am Reply

You should come check it out when you have the time :) I’m sure you’ll enjoy the food hehe ~

16. Food is our religion April 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm Reply

There are so many places in eat in Hk, the blogging list is endless! The East West Chicken Burger looks so good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 3:00 am Reply

I totally agree and its just crazy that I’ve been eating out here in melbourne too so it’s like the blogging list is getting longer and longer :P

17. Asmita (@FoodieAsmita) April 16, 2012 at 3:42 am Reply

I am a coffee lover and the latte and skinny mocha look divine!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 3:49 am Reply

They were quite good :) especially since i’ve been deprived from good coffee for SO SO SO long hehe

18. Choc Chip Uru April 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm Reply

This cafe is so cute and homely! I love it :D
    That baked beans and toast looks so professionally… buttered ;)
    Drooling all over!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2012 at 12:10 am Reply

Me too Uru :) love homey places ~ I know they call the baked beans homemade but it’s TOTALLY professional hehe!

19. penny aka jeroxie April 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reply

Nice place and great for taking photos with all the natural light. LOL

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2012 at 12:15 am Reply

Thanks Penny :) wow for such a great photographer to compliment me that’s amazing! I’m really trying to work on my photography skills hehe ~

20. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) April 16, 2012 at 11:23 pm Reply

aaw, the owners are so cool. LOve how they came up with the name JAM too! NIce write up and way cool find.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2012 at 12:16 am Reply

they’re so lovely Adrian :) I was really impressed with how they came up with the name too hehe ~ you should go visit sometime when you’re free hehe

21. Blond Duck April 17, 2012 at 2:55 am Reply

How fun!

22. cakeboule April 17, 2012 at 7:32 am Reply

That does look like a great place – the food looks great just my style.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 12:55 am Reply

We’re so lucky to have such a nice cafe near us~ gonna go again soon :)

23. myfoodtrail April 17, 2012 at 10:19 am Reply

It’s always so nice to find out the stories behind neighbourhood cafes! Good on you for asking about it :)

That burger looks delicious, especially the inside shot.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 12:53 am Reply

I think so April ;) it’s always nice when the owners are so friendly and happy to talk to us ~ that burger was really yummy!

24. liannelow April 18, 2012 at 7:26 am Reply

This looks like a place I need to make a trip to! (: Thanks for sharing this place babe! I

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm Reply

We should TOTALLY meet up here dear ~ I bet you’ll like their burgers as much as I do hehe

• liannelow April 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm Reply

sounds like a good plan!!! hehe (:

25. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 21, 2012 at 3:44 am Reply

Ohhhh the chicken burgers look so good! I usually order beef, but this one looks really good.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2012 at 1:52 am Reply

Me too Nami i’m usually a beef girl but the chicken was soooo good :)

26. fatboo (@fatbooo) April 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm Reply

Ooh daisy, it’s so sweet of you to ask for permission and even ‘interview’ the owners. I ask for permission but never really speak with the cooks of staff much after that!

The chiicken burger looks amazing by the way.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 27, 2012 at 3:15 am Reply

Thanks Byran :D I was actually really nervous when I asked ~ Because I’m kind of a regular and it was just weird for me to ask if I can take pictures and an interview hehe but glad they were so nice about it :) You’ve gotta venture into our area and check this place out hehe

27. […] It’s Melbourne after all. One of the cafes I came across was also reviewed by Daisy from Never Too Sweet For Me called Jam for Joe and is not too far away from home. One sunny afternoon, Yuye and I visited this […]