Burger Time – Main St Deli

Since going to NYC with Mr Bao in January and experiencing the best burgers in our lives at Shake Shack :) I have been craving for a good burger! Very much like Catty from The Catty Life who’s been going on a Project Burger to find the best burger in Sydney ~ I was inspired to find a ‘half-decent’ burger in HK lol

That’s when I jumped onto Openrice, the HK version of Urbanspoon and did some research. I was surprised to find quite a few options ranging from the fast-food chains like MOS Burger, Triple O to the steakhouses such as Wooloo-mooloo :) That’s when I found Main St Deli at the Langham Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.

I think was attracted  by the ‘deli’ in it’s name because it was very NYC hahaha and to be honest, another friend had told me about their desserts so I dragged Sasa to go with me ~

HUGE pickles ~

As soon as we sat down, a waiter came over and placed two places in front of us. I had to laugh at the two humongous pickles placed in front of us :) I know they were trying to replicate delicatessen’s in NYC but I’m pretty sure you don’t get huge pickles like these hahaha ~ I don’t really like pickles but still tried a little and was surprised that it wasn’t very ‘spicy’ or ‘tangy’.

Coleslaw ~

We were also given a little coleslaw which once again puzzled me, but Sasa and I enjoyed it as a little appetiser :) nothing special but at least it wasn’t out of a can like what you get from KFC :P

Onion Rings $72HKD ($9AUD) plus 10% service charge

Sasa loves onion rings so we ordered a plate as an appetiser to share ~ however, we were a little disappointed…because the batter was so thick the onion rings weren’t really crispy when we ate them. It was more like eating ‘lumps’ of flour than onion rings :( It was also quite bland…like it lacked seasoning.

Chopped Salad $158HKD ($19.82AUD) plus 10% service charge

I remember seeing a Chopped Salad recipe from The Pioneer Woman’s show, so I immediately wanted to try it. It’s a mix of iceberg lettuce, roman lettuce, avocado, grilled chicken, eggs and sprouts all chopped and mixed together. We were asked which dressing we wanted, which we found a little weird, because most places would pair the salad with the most appropriate dressing. Anyhow, we chose the honey mustard and it was served on the side, which was a little annoying because we had to mix it in ourselves and either had too much or too little :( Overall, I enjoyed this salad, but once again nothing spectacular and for the price we paid we expected a bit more.

Monster Burger 12 oz $188HKD ($23.60AUD) plus 10% service charge

Burger time! Most of their burgers came in two sizes, the 8oz or the 12oz, because we were pretty hungry we got the 12oz but girls, if you’re going alone, I’m pretty sure the 8oz is more than enough ~ we were so so so full! Damn…we shouldn’t have ordered onion rings…it came with the burger ~

Simple burger

It was a pretty simple burger with a patty and a pickle inside, it didn’t even have cheese or any tomatoes or lettuce inside. Instead they were placed on the side. We asked the patty to be made medium but some how it came out to be pretty well done. I liked the patty though :) not sure what kind of meat they used but it was flavoursome and properly seasoned YAY! I really didn’t like the bun though…it was quite dry…and the bottom bun was so soggy :(

So my verdict of their burger would be … ‘Reasonable’…I know I can’t compare them to Shake Shack or any other burger joints in NYC. Therefore, given that it as a burger found in HK it was decent, I just would have preferred if they had more components to the burger to give it an extra punch of flavour ~

Now to desserts, I walked over to their dessert cabinet and was going to get the lemon merengue pie (sorry forgot to take a pic) and just before I was going to order it…it was taken away from me…another table had just reserved it :( sighhh lesson be learnt…always order desserts BEFORE your mains :P Instead we started off with a Bannofee pie ~ I don’t remember the last time I had one so I was very excited.

Half each ~

This was a pretty classic bannofee pie, with a chocolate tart case, a thick layer of caramel, whipped cream then topped with bananas and a glaze. I was a little disappointed when I could tell that they used the Nestle Top and Fill caramel and not a homemade ‘toffee’, so it was extremely sweet, even for me. If they had used another type of caramel/toffee filling it would’ve been much better, because I quite liked the tart case and the glazed bananas :) Poor Sasa, she was already so full but being my ‘best friend’, she was ‘forced’ to have 2 desserts with me hahaha so we went ‘half each’, I was more than happy to eat her share too but then I would just be selfish :P

Chocolate Fluff Cupcake $24HKD ($3AUD) plus 10% service charge

They had a few cupcakes and if you remember I was looking for some good cupcakes in HK too, so I was pretty happy to see them here ~ it look us a while to decide, we were tossing between the black and white and the chocolate fluff. We chose the ‘fluff’ in the end because we wanted to know what the ‘fluff’ was lol

Very dense ~

Turned out to be a dense chocolate cupcake topped with a small amount of chocolate marshmallow icing. I’m pretty sure it was original marshmallow fluff with a little cocoa powder mixed into it. Not bad, and it wasn’t really sweet but I would have preferred a bigger ‘dollop’ of it ~ Even though the cupcake was relatively moist, it was very dense…Sasa didn’t like it much because she prefers fluffy and light cupcakes ~  I would definitely go back to try their other desserts, but may go to another place for burgers ~

Main St Deli Langham Hotel
Lower Lobby Level, The Langham Hong Kong,
8 Peking Road, Tsim Sha Tsui

尖沙咀北京道8號香港朗廷酒店低層大堂
PH: 2132 7898

Tagged: , ,

34 thoughts on “Burger Time – Main St Deli

1. lovefoodcookfood April 11, 2012 at 5:32 am Reply

Wow! That all looks super. :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 12:26 am Reply

It wasn’t too bad but I wasn’t too happy with the onion rings :P

2. Hannah April 11, 2012 at 11:48 am Reply

Bahaha! Nestle top n fill is good for midnight snacks from the spoon. not for restaurants. :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 12:31 am Reply

Hahahah I totally agree! It’s fine if it’s homemade…but not for a restaurant! Sigh not happy :P

3. Simply Fahad-istic! (@PharaohKhan) April 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm Reply

Daisy I so much wish I was doing these restaurant reviews like you!
    I love burgers,and I love desserts,as you know,hehe.:-) I also love onion rings a lot,so sounds like a decent eatery for me!
    “Now to desserts, I walked over to their dessert cabinet and was going to get the lemon merengue pie (sorry forgot to take a pic) and just before I was going to order it…it was taken away from me…” This made me laugh,LOL.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 1:36 am Reply

LOL you can do restraurant reviews too if you wanted too :) i’m sure there’s heaps of great places in India that you can share with us! I didn’t know you were a burger lover too ~ i’m not much of an onion ring person, but happy to eat them when they’re ‘nice’ sigh this wasn’t though :(
      I’m so glad you like how I write hahhaa i basically write the way I would talk…my friends call me a ‘drama’ queen HAHAHA

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm Reply

I eat gourmet hamburgers in Japan but it’s just not the same as American gourmet burger place. Something is different… like you said, it’s “reasonable” but it’s just not the same! Never heard or had bannofee pie before. Looks yummy.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 1:38 am Reply

Hello Nami :) how was your trip to Japan? Are you home~ I know it seems like the real, true and yummy burgers can only be found in the US sighhh which is kind of sad because I like my burgers!
      I’m really surprised you’ve never heard or had a banoffee pie because it’s a really traditional ‘Southern American’ dessert :D Hope to share a recipe with you soon~

5. Cupcake Crazy Gem April 12, 2012 at 3:45 am Reply

Haha that is so random they just brought you the pickles like that! Wouldn’t it have been awesome if the burgers had lived up to Shake Shack though! I can’t believe that little excuse of frosting they put on the chocolate cupcake, I would have been disappointed too! The mini banoffee pie looked cute though!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm Reply

Hello Gem :) I totally agree hahaha it was just so weird with the pickles… i didn’t really see anyone eating any of it hahaha ~ I would’ve gone back again and again if they were as good as Shake Shack hehe :P I’ve had SO much trouble with the amount of icing they put on the cupcakes in HK sigh…they never seem to put enough GRRR! I like my THICK and SWEET icing, like the cupcakes you make are so amazing!

6. bakingaddict April 12, 2012 at 8:28 am Reply

After you’ve been to the Shake Shack, how can you expect to match that? :) The burgers do look quite plain but at least the patty was good. I love onion rings and had a massive portion in America which were really good. I’m sure you can guess banoffee pies are one of my favourites! The dessert definitely looks better than the mains. Always order dessert before mains and always save room for dessert (actually it’s a separate stomach!)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reply

That’s true…Ros I guess nothing really matches up to Shake Shack…but still hahaha worth a trip :P I actually didn’t have many Onion Rings when I went to America which I now kind of regret hehe ~ Oh oh oh is banoffee pie one of your favourites too? It’s a new found dessert to me lol never really had many of them before :P I think that’s a good idea order desserts first hehe ~

7. Julie April 12, 2012 at 11:25 am Reply

so sad it was reasonable!! I always avoid ordering burgers I always find that disappointing and still think the maccas one is decent lol. Obviously haven’t tried shake shake yet!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm Reply

I know what you mean…it’s just disappointing especially when you’re paying so much more :( I actually quite like the Maccas Angus Beef burger lol but haven’t had one for ages cuz I always save my calories for desserts LOL you’ve gotta go to the US and try Shake Shack it’s AMAZING!

8. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals April 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm Reply

Reasonable is better than a bad burger right? :) I think the best hamburger I’ve ever eaten is from Whataburger, it’s a fast food chain from Texas (I believe only in Texas or just the Southern states). My husband ordered me one with his favorite toppings (It’s made to order), so it was just the burger patty with sauteed onions and jalapenos on top, OMG it was so yummy and my mouth starts to water just thinking about it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm Reply

Hahahaha i accept a ‘reasonable’ burger :P it wasn’t that bad…just can’t compare it to the ‘BEST’ lol ohhh I’ve never heard of Whataburger :D would love to try! I really wanna go to Texas and try all the Southern goodies you guys have hehe ~ Ohhhh a made to order burger? YUM! Now you’re making my mouth water and stomach rumble too ~ i would love to try that burger!

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 12, 2012 at 5:14 pm Reply

Oh what a shame it wasn’t better. The sides seemed to be lacking somewhat too. It would have been nice to have known that the burger came with onion rings and I always appreciate waitstaff that you things like that :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm Reply

Same here Lorraine :( It would’ve been nicer if they could have reminded us…because then we could have tried something else that may have been better too ~ like the buffalo wings hehe :D

10. Rice Bowl Tales April 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm Reply

Even though I’m not a big fan of or an expert on burgers ( again, I suppose they are young people’s favorite), I could still see their burgers are nothing special judging by the photos, you would expect the burgers were served with a bit more imagination and dedication due to the price they charged. Luckily the dessert were nice :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm Reply

Hahaha you make me feel so bad Jane :P always eating ‘bad’ things hehe ~ but i guess we’re only young once hahaha and I promise to eat ‘healthily’ in Melbourne…or at least I’ll try hehe
      Yes the price and the quality didn’t really match up which is annoying…but the desserts made up for it YAY! You know how desserts are the most important to me ~

11. hotlyspiced April 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm Reply

It’s a shame the restaurant was a let-down in terms of your expectations. I think the burgers should come with more than just a patty and a pickle inside them. And definitely the desserts should be made from scratch with no ‘bought-in’ items – that’s cheating! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm Reply

Exactly Charlie! I mean if i want store ‘bought’ ingredients and ‘cheat’ I’d do that myself…and wouldn’t pay for someone to do it for me SIGH….and the burger was just a little too plain…like they didn’t know what to put in it so they couldn’t be bothered >_<

12. Choc Chip Uru April 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm Reply

I am surprised they used top n fill! That should be illegal in restaurants right? And the dollop? I eat that with my finger while MAKING the frosting – sorry you were a little let down (though your review was so fair :))

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm Reply

Welcome Bac Uru :) how was your trip? That’s so so so true! It should be illegal! It just worse…when you can tell lol it’s like from the first bite…I knew it was Top N Fill sigh… YES i dunno why places in HK always skimped on Icing…but they just don’t put much on sigh… glad you liked my review though ~

13. penny aka jeroxie April 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm Reply

I miss HK! by the way, the burger looks small to me… LOL

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm Reply

I’ve only been back and already I miss the food there ~ Really? I thought the burger was HUGE lol i regret not ordering the 8oz or maybe it’s just because I always save room for desserts ~

14. Cakelaw April 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm Reply

Sorry the burgers and desserts didn’t live up to your expectations – gotta love the look of those onion rings though. They look delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm Reply

It’s always a disappointment when places don’t live up to expectations :( and the onion rings would’ve been better if the batter wasn’t so think hehe ~

15. gourmetgetaway April 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm Reply

What a shame the Banoffee Pie wasnt as good as it looked :( All your images made everything look delicious… even if it wasn’t as spectacular as your photographs :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 3:09 am Reply

Oh my gosh! That’s such a huge compliment Julie! My photos are horrible and I’m working hard on my photography skills :) It’s very sweet of you to say that my photos are nice :D Thank you!

16. tastehongkong April 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm Reply

Have yet to visit this (perhaps its name doesn’t mean much to me : ), thanks for sharing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 12:51 am Reply

You re welcome ;) wasn’t the best but do try if you re craving for burger ~

17. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed April 18, 2012 at 9:16 am Reply

now I want to go back to HK! that pie…
    Heidi xo