Midnight Cravings – Taiwanese Fried Chicken

Home Sweet Home :) After a long 9 hour flight Mr Bao and I finally got back to Melbourne, Australia ~ even though I’ve been away for so long, I settled in right away hehe it was so nice to see people walking at a ‘normal’ pace and not ‘power-walking’ hahaha

I was a little overwhelmed by everything that I had to deal with though – my poor car had an extremely flat tyre, had to open a mountain of mail, pay the bills to ensure we still had water, gas and electricity and a whole heap of other things to do :( but I guess that’s what you get when come back from an extended holiday ~ Anyhow, so by the time I got all that done… it was way past mid-night and I had serious cravings but surprisingly didn’t want dessert lol rarely happens hahaha I actually craved for FRIED CHICKEN…not KFC…but Taiwanese Fried Chicken :D

There’s two types of Taiwanese Fried Chicken, one where it’s cut into thumb-size pieces and then deep fried, while the other is a large piece of chicken breast shaped like a pork cutlet :)

Thumb Bite Pieces VS Chicken Cutlet

For those who may not have heard or had Taiwanese Fried Chicken before, it has a unique taste because it is deep-fried and often seasoned with white pepper, chilli and fried basil. But because different stalls will create their own seasoning it’s hard to describe the taste of it :( sorry! I’m still working on my writing skills, but if there’s any Taiwanese restaurants near you, I highly recommend you trying ~ It’s so addictive even more so than KFC :D

I only ever really go to these two places for fried chicken in Taiwan – Ji Guang Delicious Fried Chicken (繼光香香雞)and Hot Star Large Fried Chicken(豪大大雞排).

Ji Guang ~ Thumb Sized Fried Chicken

Gonna start with Ji Guang Xiang Xiang Ji (繼光香香雞) first ~ they specialise in the ‘bite sized’ form of the fried chicken :D They opened their first store 38 years ago and developed a special seasoning that using more than 10 herbs and spices ~ the exact same recipe is still used today.

Constantly frying ~

Apart from the fact that it’s so delicious, I love going to Ji Guang because they are constantly frying new batches of chicken and I have never bought cold or stale fried chicken which I think is crucial :)

Its a bit scary the amount of oil used ~ but it is so yummy that the calories are worth it hehe definitely not something people dieting should eat :P

Weighing the chicken ~

You can buy the fried chicken in either a small or large size, which is weighed ~ I’m not really sure of the difference in weight but I think the small size is more than enough for 1 to 2 people.

Small Serve Fried Chicken $55TWD ($1.8AUD)

The best way to describe Ji Guang’s fried chicken would be they are bite sized chicken thigh pieces coated in a light batter then deep-fried until golden brown and then tossed in its special seasoning. You can either have the original or have it with chilli, for those who can’t eat spicy food, I recommend staying away from the chilli powder as it is quite hot :) Oh did I forget to mention ~ It’s also quite cheap too! You can buy a small pack for less than $2 AUD:) so there’s no excuse to share hahaha YAY I don’t like sharing! The chicken is mine :D

Now to the next famous fried chicken Hot Star Large Fried Chicken (豪大大雞排), they serve their fried chicken in form of a large cutlet ~ Hot Star opened their first store more than 10 years ago and has reminded one of the most famous stalls at the Shi Lin Night Market ~ no matter when you go, whether it be rain or shine there will always be a line waiting :)

I recognise this lady ~

Because I’ve been going to Taiwan on a regular basis for many years, I recognise this nice lady, who will organise the long queues, serves the chicken and takes the money ~ it amazes me how she can do everything so quickly and efficiently :)

Big Fried Chicken Cutlet~

They only come in one size and once price $55TWD ($1.80AUD) same price as Ji Guang once again a cheap eat :) Instead of using chicken thigh, at Hot Star they use a large piece of chicken breast and some how make it even bigger, coat it with a thick floury batter and then deep fry it ~ Once again they use a special type of seasoning and you have the option of adding chilli powder :) For me I always add the chilli powder because the hotter the better ~

MASSIVE!

I think this picture shows you exactly HOW big this chicken cutlet is! It’s bigger than my face hahaha It’s really filling if you had the whole thing so even though they don’t cut it for you, I suggest you sharing with someone, so you can save some room for other goodies at the night market ~ I have to admit though, not everyone likes Hot Star’s fried chicken, because they say the batter is too thick and it’s not as crispy as Ji Guang as it’s such a large piece.

I really can’t say which one I prefer :) Because I love them both hehe when I feel like something more crispy, I’ll go for Ji Guang, when I want something salty and filling I go for Hot Star ~ It’s also easier for me to get Hot Star because they have a store in HK too also read on their website that they’ve opened in Singapore too :D

No matter which store you go to ~ I really hope you get to try some delicious Taiwanese Fried Chicken soon and become addicted like me hehe

What are your mid-night cravings? :D

Ji Guang Delicious Fried Chicken (繼光香香雞)
108, Taiwan, Taipei City, Wanhua District
武昌街二段100號
PH: +886 2 2381 5869

Hot Star Large Fried Chicken (豪大大雞排)

台北市士林區文林路113號 (陽明戲院前攤位)
No. 60號, Jīhé Road, Shihlin District, Taipei City, Taiwan 111
PH: +886 926 028 315

Tagged: , ,

46 thoughts on “Midnight Cravings – Taiwanese Fried Chicken

1. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals April 8, 2012 at 9:31 am Reply

Good to hear you made it home safe and sound! OMG I love Taiwanese fried chicken, we have a little hole in the wall restaurant that serves a pretty decent one (the small bites), so when I crave them just order to-go and 10 minutes later we would be stuffing our faces. Though I remember walking around shopping at Taiwan and have a small bag of those fried chicken bites, they taste better back then some how…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm Reply

Hello Jeno :) Yes yes i’m glad I got home in one piece too there was some pretty scary turbulance when flying back but all is well :)
      Ohhh that’s nice that you can get Taiwanese fried chicken near your place ~ I haven’t found any places in Melbourne that serve this type of Taiwanese Fried Chicken, but am sure I’m gonna have more craving as time goes on ~ ohhh it’s a shame that the taiwanese fried chicken isn’t as nice as it was..i would’ve loved to try because to me they’re already pretty good hehe :) Could you maybe try making them at home and sharing the recipe with us? ~

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm Reply

Welcome home! Wow, now I’ve got to try this! I’ve never tried it before :o It sounds so crunchy and delicious :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 8, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reply

Thanks Lorraine :D it’s good to be home but I know im gonna miss all my family, friends and food back in HK hehe ~ i’ll let you know if i find any good places in Sydney so you can try :)

3. msihua April 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm Reply

Welcome back! How many months were you away again? Seems like forever!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm Reply

Thanks I-Hua :) Happy Easter!!! I was away for 4 and half months lol it was ages and even though it’s great to be home with decent coffee and brunches…i’m still gonna miss all the food and people in HK :(

4. hotlyspiced April 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm Reply

Welcome home Daisy! And that fried chicken looks so amazing. I’m a big fan of fried chicken (not the KFC version though) more the Thai version. I’d love to try this version though – looks so delicious. Happy Easter! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2012 at 1:36 am Reply

Thank you Charlie :D it’s good to be home after such a long holiday lol but I’m not looking forward to packing and tidying everything ~ you’ve gotta head down to China town in Sydney and find these Taiwanese Fried Chicken :) i’m sure some places serve it ~ I also like the Korean Fried Chicken too hehe

Happy Easter xoxo

5. Loveforfood April 9, 2012 at 3:04 am Reply

The photos and recipes are amazing!

6. bakingaddict April 9, 2012 at 5:34 am Reply

Good to hear that you back safe. I know what its like to catch up after holidays which must be worse if it’s an extended holiday. I’ve never seen or tried Taiwanese fried chicken – looks amazing! Wish I could have some now :) Hope you’re having a good Easter weekend with lots of delicious treats and desserts :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 12:31 am Reply

Thanks Ros :D It’s good to finally be back ~ but catching up with everything is definitely the worth especially since I’ve been away for so long >_<

Hope you've had a nice Easter too~ I've finally been able to do some baking woo hoo!

7. Food is our religion April 9, 2012 at 11:30 am Reply

Whoah all the cakes look so fancy and pretty! I dont know if i could bring myself to eat them because they are so pretty!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 12:32 am Reply

Hahaha I have no trouble with that part :P I love eating desserts SO SO SO much lol demolishing them is the best ~

8. Hannah April 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm Reply

I love how we all have such different comfort/nostalgia/random cravings, depending on our life histories! And welcome home :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 12:38 am Reply

I know :D it’s funny how we all crave different things at different times ~ Thanks Hannah good to be back finally!

9. beti April 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm Reply

I really must go, that chicken looks perfectly crispy

10. tastehongkong April 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm Reply

Have not visited Taiwan for quite a white, thank you for bringing me there again. Although I’m not a big fan of deep fried foods, I have to admit that their fried chicken is crisp and uniquely flavorful.
    And I enjoyed reading your midnight cravings in the morning : ).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 12:46 am Reply

I’m glad you’ve brought you back to Taiwan :D I have a special connection with that place hehe really want to move and live there one day ~ YAY!

I try to stay away from deep fried foods too but it really is SO addictive and yummy :) Glad you enjoyed my post will have many more mid night cravings hahaha

11. Rice Bowl Tales April 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm Reply

You young people really like fried chicken don’t you ~ my son love them!! They even do them in street markets in Taiwan? Unbelievable!! I don’t think I’ve seen them in HK street stalls though, have you?
    The worst part after travelling home is missing everyone and everything, then the unpacking, washing …… etc., hope you somehow managed to get through these ( with lots of sweet things no doubt ) ~~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 12:56 am Reply

Hahhaah yup Jane we young people like all the ‘unhealthy’ foods lol fried and sweet things are my best friend :P They only really have them in street markets in Taiwan and they have a stall in Hong Kong too :) but it’s not as good and it’s all in Mong Kok so not really a great place to go…it gives me a headache going it’s always SO crowded

I’m avoiding unpacking and have just been going out and baking will have to do some more tomorrow sigh~ but definitely still eating many many sweet things YAY!

12. Michelle April 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm Reply

my sister officially “hates” you now. she loves taiwanese fried chicken so much and we only get those half arsed ones in malaysia!

she’s so jelly! hehehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 12:58 am Reply

Hahahah it’s okay she can ‘hate’ me it’s for a good reason I’m happy LOL i know what you mean the ones in Hk are just as bad!!!

13. winstonthehungryexcavator April 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm Reply

I LOVE TAIWANESE FRIED CHICKEN!!! It really is up there in the ranks along with Korean Fried Chicken. Both so different, but both oooh soooo goooooood. Yes, I firmly believe that Fried Chicken is good for the soul =]

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 1:07 am Reply

I totally agree *high five* Winston :) LOVE LOVE LOVE Fried chicken hehe I love all types of it Taiwanese, Korean, Southern all of them YAY!

14. Faith April 10, 2012 at 1:44 am Reply

I’m glad to hear you’re back home and happily settled in! This chicken definitely looks like the perfect thing to satisfy a late-night craving…looks delicious and perfectly crispy (yum!)!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 2:35 am Reply

Thanks Faith :) good to be home but I already foresee so many more cravings hehe the fried chicken is so so so good really wish I could find it here in Melbourne too ~

15. Norma Chang April 10, 2012 at 5:02 am Reply

Glad you arrived home safely, hope all that needed to be taken care of has been done and you are back to normal.

16. ironchefshellie April 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reply

I could def go some fried chicken right about now!

17. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) April 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reply

gosh where do I begin? So many cravings. I mostly crave a bag chips!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm Reply

Me too :) I love chips too at night and I have constant craving for ice cream ~

18. myfoodtrail April 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm Reply

I had my first taste of Taiwanese fried chicken in Malaysia and I fell in love. Actually, I fall in love with any kind of fried chicken :P

I’m thinking of going to HK and maybe Taiwan next month so shall be looking through your past posts for ideas on trip planning! Any recommendations for accommodation or non-food stuff?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm Reply

Hello April :) i sent you a tweet as soon as I saw ur comment ~ I’m SUPER DUPER excited for you hehe it’s like I’m going back!! How long are you going for? Drop me any email nevertoosweet.daisy@gmail.com so then I can help you WOO HOO!

19. Cakelaw April 10, 2012 at 9:51 pm Reply

Welcome home! I like the look of the thumb sized pieces best.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reply

Thank you :) It’s nice to be home ~ I can’t choose hahahaa I like all fried chicken!

20. libishski April 10, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reply

Wah! Yum!

I remember eating this for the first time – back in high school at that 1228 Tea House place in Box Hill! Of course, the chicken they have there is nowhere near as good as the ones in this post. Sigh. Have you been to that Taiwan Cafe place in the city? I’ve been told that their fried chicken’s alright but I would like your expert opinion (if you’ve been, that is) :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm Reply

Hahhaa I remember that place in Box Hill too!! I went back a few weeks ago hahaha it’s still the same old lol are you talking about the place in Swanston St? I’ve heard good and bad things about it and the long lines just drives me nuts so i haven’t tried it yet. But i’ve heard from my Taiwanese friends that Pico Pico in St Kilda’s pretty authentic would you like to go check it out together if you’re not too busy? ~

• libishski April 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm Reply

Yep, the one on Swanston Street. I, too, have been deterred by the crowds. Waiting for the hype to die down but somehow, I don’t think it’ll happen for a while :( Oh yes, yes! Would love to go! Weekends (more specifically Sunday) are my only proper free days. Otherwise, it’ll have to be dinner :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm Reply

Hey Libby :) yup I know that one lol i’m also waiting for it to die down hehe because i really don’t like waiting in line :P sure thing Sunday’s are good for me too :D i’ll send you a DM through twitter and we’ll work out a time !

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 11, 2012 at 10:46 pm Reply

Oh I know what you mean! I have cravigns for these Taiwanese fried chicken too. My husband likes the cutlet while I like the small one. I’ve never been to these shops – must remember for our next visit. Hope I can go to Taiwan at the same time you visit!!! We can eat fried chicken together. =)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 1:44 am Reply

*high five* Nami :D these Taiwanese Fried Chicken is so yummy ~ I really can’t decide which one I like more! Yes yes I really hope we go there at the same time next time! It’ll be amazing to meet up and go EATING :D

22. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed April 18, 2012 at 9:18 am Reply

um awesome!
    Heidi xo

23. […] I have shared with you how much I like their XXL large piece of fried chicken in this previous post. So you can imagine I was thrilled that they were opening in Melbourne. Their first store opened a […]