Time Flies – Thomas Trillion

Happy Easter Everyone :D Hope you all got lots of ‘Easter eggs’ ~

Time flies…looking back I’ve already been in HK for the past 4 months ~ this is the longest time I’ve stayed here and definitely one of the best times :) I’ve spent time with family, Mr Bao, caught up with old friends, made new friends and most importantly explored the food scene here ~ HK is definitely a food heaven for foodies :D

Want to take  you to a quick trip to  Thomas Trillion patisserie in Tin Hau today, before I jump on a 9 hour flight back to Melbourne ~ I’ve wanted to visited Thomas Trillion and have bugged Win Win for such a long time, but because it’s quite inconvenient for us to get there, we keep putting it off.

Many awards ~

The mastermind behind Thomas Trillion, is Thomas Lui an experienced pastry chef with a passion for chocolate ~ upon walking into the store, you will see numerous awards and medals from various competitions.

Let me eat cake ~

They had a reasonable number of cakes displayed in the cabinet, they’re all so pretty! Like a piece of art ~ However, flavours weren’t as creative as I expected, they were quite regular. For instance, they simply had a ‘cheesecake’ with no description of whether it was ‘baked’ or ‘New York’. I would have liked to try the chocolate spheres with the little holes called ‘Roseanna’ filled with Greek yogurt cream, raspberry cream and yellow fruit compote. But we didn’t feel like having Greek yoghurt ~ so we got something else hehe

Peanut Mousse $45HKD ($5.6AUD)

They did have one cake that was a little more unique because I don’t see many ‘peanut towers’ which are chocolate discs sandwiched with peanut mousse ~ I immediately thought of Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker who absolutely LOVES peanut butter ~ Not sure if you’ll like this but hehe it just reminded me of you :)

Pralines $20HKD ($2.5AUD) each

They had a wider range of pralines for $20HKD each, once again they are so cute and perfectly made ~ I didn’t try any but maybe next time, if anyone has tried or will try please let me know what you think of them :)

Chocolate Heart ~

I don’t know if you can actually purchase this, as they have a ‘display only’ label, but this looks magnificent and I really wouldn’t mind receiving this for my birthday or Valentine’s day *hint hint hint* Mr Bao :P

Win Win and I bought 3 cakes takeaway because they don’t have any tables in the store, we weren’t very happy with the shop assistant, she wasn’t very helpful and when I asked ‘which cakes would you recommend?’, she just looked at me blankly and replied ‘Errr I don’t know…’ I think she could have at least tried to tell me the different elements and components of the cakes.

Rosy Rosa $65HKD ($7.5AUD)

We started with the Rosy Rosa which is a Chocolate breton biscuit layers with Griotte compote and 68% chocolate mousse. Its so shiny ~

We shared this with my Bro In Law (Win WIn’s husband) as well, and neither of us liked it. We couldn’t really taste the chocolate in the mousse and the Griotte compote was extremely bitter, and wasn’t pleasant at all to eat. I only liked the breton biscuit layer :(

Strawberry Mille Feuille $55HKD ($6.87AUD)

Next up – Strawberry Mille Feuille, unfortunately, this was another disappointment, the puff pastry, tasted like deep-fried wonton wrappers, but the worst would have to be the vanilla bean custard, it had NO vanilla taste at all and just tasted like ‘egg yolks’, I’m not usually this harsh, but I thought it was borderline ‘disgusting’ sorry!

Cheesecake $45HKD ($5.62AUD)

The last and the best out of the 3 was their ‘Cheesecake’, a very simple and traditional cheesecake with a very thin layer of short crust base, which I would’ve liked if it was a little thicker. In terms of the cheesecake itself, it was quite ‘pleasant’ to eat, very soft and smooth and had a stronger cream cheese flavour. However, we still prefer the cheesecakes from Mandarin Oriental or Gioia By Chi ~ which is also cheaper :)

Thomas Trillion was definitely a disappointment to us, because I’ve read good reviews about them but I guess it’s always like that when you have high expectations and they don’t fulfil them, you’re more likely to be disappointed >_<

Thomas Trillion
G/F, No 17 Wing Hing Street, Triumphant Court,
North Point, Hong Kong

香港北角永興街17號凱旋樓地下
PH: 2806 0332

Before I head off to the airport, I just wanted to say thank you to a few people in HK:
– My loveliest and dearest Readers from all over the world :) thank you for reading and supporting me for the past 4 months, it has definitely made my stay here more interesting and enjoyable!  I have loved sharing with you all my ‘foodie adventures’ ~
– Win Win for always eating out with me and helping me cross off many restaurants off my ‘wish list’ :D Love you Sis! Gonna miss you like crazy!
–  Sasa my best friend, thanks for allowing me to order 2 desserts and only one main and giving me all the time I need to take photos! Take good care of yourself! Hope to see you real soon!
– Mary my dear friend from NYC wouldn’t have had a such a great trip and go eat at all those places without you! Miss you  ~
– All my old friends in HK – Terence, Kenneth, Jovian, William, Eunice, Ellen, Connie, Joseph, Flora, Kennise, Jack and Cindy sorry if I forgot to add you to this list – Thanks for always spending time with me when I’m in HK, can’t wait till we catch up again!
– All my new friends – Kaylee, Terry,  HK Epicurus, Chocolate Mui Mui, Sai Lee, Mercury and Peggy – So great to have met you guys and I wish we had known each other sooner! I’ll be back soon ~ Don’t forget about me!

Even though I think I’m ready for ‘full-time work’ there’s still a part of me which wants to stay as a student and not have to enter the ‘real’ world yet :P So please wish me luck and stay with me as I enter the next most important stage of my life :) xoxo

Tagged: , , , , , ,

23 thoughts on “Time Flies – Thomas Trillion

1. Norma Chang April 6, 2012 at 9:49 am Reply

Pleasant trip and all the very best as you enter the ‘real’ world.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 2:25 am Reply

Thank you Norma :) Thank gosh I have a little bit of time before I work hehe ~

2. bakingaddict April 6, 2012 at 10:08 am Reply

Thanks for the mention – yes I think I would have liked the peanut tower. It’s a shame that the cakes were not up to expectation – they definitely look good but looks can be deceiving. Wishing you the best of luck in your future endeavours. Have a safe flight back and keep in touch!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 2:26 am Reply

You’re welcome Ros :) I knew you’d love it hehe ~ I know it’s worse when looks are deceiving sigh but doesn’t matter there’s plenty of good patisseries out there ~

3. Jeno April 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm Reply

Daisy, it’s always a bummer to have our hopes up and not feel fulfilled! The desserts look great, but from your posting, they are more hype than anything. Maybe this place just has a very talented PR person!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 2:27 am Reply

LOL i think they did Jeno :) because they had such great reviews and I really was impressed when I got there…but then the shop lady wasn’t very friendly or helpful and then it was just a huge disappointment sigh :(

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 6, 2012 at 3:28 pm Reply

That chocolate heart looks amazing but it sounds like they’re more about looks than the taste. What a shame :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 7:56 am Reply

I think so too Lorraine :( but really I’d rather have an ugly or conventional looking cake than to have something that was so bad :(

5. liannelow April 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm Reply

Wow 4 months babe! (: Hope you had a great time in HK and enjoyed all the food you had the chance to try! hehe What a pity that the cakes look nicer than it tastes especially when you have been waiting so long to try them! :(

Have a safe journey back to Melbourne!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 8:10 am Reply

Thanks Lianne :) The flight back home was good ~ I slept for most of it and lol for once the plane food wasn’t as bad as I expected hahaha we got Haagen Daz ice-cream so that kept me pretty happy :P

Sighh yes time really flies…i feel as if I was only in HK for a few weeks and not a few months lol been enjoying myself too much but it’s good to finally be back ~ YAY!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 8:10 am Reply

And as for the cake…it was just an utter disappointment…i really can’t accept that mille feuille :(

6. lovefoodcookfood April 7, 2012 at 12:18 am Reply

Those are works of art not cakes. They cannot possible be to eat.
    Happy Easter to you too and a safe journey home. :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 8:14 am Reply

Thank you :) Hope you’ve received lots of chocolates ~ gonna drag Mr Bao with me to go get some Easter eggs hehe :D

7. libishski April 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm Reply

Haha that cheesecake looks more like a sponge cake than a cheesecake!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 8:24 pm Reply

Hahaha yeah it literally had no crust/base and it was just too spongey lol

8. Rice Bowl Tales April 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm Reply

Dear Daisy,

I think I’ve known you through blogging the same amount of time as you were in HK? I have to say, I enjoyed each and everyone of our conversations ( more then just comments really), and loved reading all of your blog posts :)
    Hope you’ll enjoy a lovely Easter with Mr Bao, have time to settle in and get ready. Wish you all the very best with your new job and everything you do, keep up the good work and the sunny smile :D xoxox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm Reply

Dear Jane,
      Yes yes we found each other when I just started blogging and that was when I first got to HK ~ So it’s been a good 4 to 5 months now :) I honestly never thought my blog will ‘survive’ that long hahaha because I was convinced that no one was going to read it. And definitely no one as famous as yourself Jane will support everyone of my posts ~ So thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Mr Bao and I just got back late last night, and we’re house hunting right now cuz he needs to find accommodation, so that can be a little stressful. But still I’m going out eating tomorrow at a nice cafe hehe I can’t wait to share all my adventures in HK then focus back on Melbourne for a little while ~

Hope you had a lovely Easter too! So glad we’re now also friends on Facebook because I update it more regularly :D xoxo

9. cakeboule April 9, 2012 at 5:04 am Reply

Oh dear sorry she was not nice to you – the cakes did look impressive though I would not know which to pick!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 1:48 am Reply

Sorry dear I just saw your comment :( Yes I know I wasn’t very happy that she wasn’t nice or helpful sigh… i think it’s important that shops make sure they hire people that are friendly…it really makes a difference sigh

10. Cakelaw April 10, 2012 at 9:53 pm Reply

So sad to hear that such gorgeous cakes are quite tasteless – as the whole point of cake is that it tastes good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reply

I know :( I was so upset especially since I’ve been so so so excited about going…but then it turned out to be so ‘bad’ sigh…doesn’t matter I’ll find other cakes else where ~

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 11, 2012 at 10:52 pm Reply

What a shame – I hate the disappointment. You hear great things and look forward to trying and then get completely horrible experience. The taste should be the most important factor before the looks…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2012 at 1:47 am Reply

That’s exactly how I feel! I’ve heard so many good things about them…it took me quite a lot of effort to go and then….I’m really disappointed…sigh I much prefer an ugly but yummy cake than a pretty but bad cake :(