41° Gelato – Milkissimo

Dear Readers, are you a gelato or an ice-cream person? I use to think I was a 100% ice-cream person, because I love the rich and creaminess of ice-cream …but now with so many gelato places opening up lol I think I’ve converted :) Especially since I know now there’s less than fat in gelato woo hoo!

Wanted to introduce you to Milkissimo from Hokkaido, Japan. They opened their first store in 2009 and have since expanded internationally and chose Hong Kong as their first destination ~

The full name is Milkissimo Hakodate Gelato Da 41°N, that’s because the capital of Italy, Rome and Hokkaido’s Hakodate town is precisely connected at the 41 degree north latitude :) I thought that was an interesting fact hehe ~ They also called it ‘Milkissimo’ because they use the finest milk from the Hakodate town and I definitely believe the milk gives it that extra creamy flavour.

Lotsa flavours ~

I’ve actually gone to Milkissimo quite a few times and have been meaning to blog about it, but simply forgot ~ my bad lol so I’m going to base my review on a few visits :) They have quite a few flavours, going from the more traditional chocolate, raspberry, green tea to the more unique like pumpkin, green soybean to Zabaione. I’ve tried quite a few flavours so will try to give you an overview of them :D

Green Tea

I’m a bit obsessed about matcha flavoured desserts and definitely LOVE green tea ice-cream, but I find it really hard to get good ones…the matcha flavoure is either too strong…or too weak ~ Usually one of my favourites would be the Haagen Daz one but this was pretty delicious ~ It had a subtler matcha taste even though the nice girl serving us warned me that it was really strong. I really liked the texture of the green tea gelato because it’s not as rich as the Haagen Daz one I could probably eat more of it.

Blueberry Crema

Win Win doesn’t like blueberries but I do :) I like all types of berries because they’re sweet and tangy and most importantly it has tons of anti-oxidants and I need that to balance out all the ‘sugar’ that I consume :P anyhow I tried this blueberry crema and didn’t really like it…the texture was the same creamy, smooth and silky. But I simply didn’t like how it taste, it had too much of an ‘artificial’ taste to it…lol but I know Mr Bao would love it he likes ALL artificial tasting ice-creams ~

Sicily Pistachio

My absolutely FAVOURITE would have to be the Sicily Pistachio :) I never use to like pistachio desserts ~ but lately, I’ve totally jumped on the bandwagon lol remember the pistachio creme brulee I had and how I always buy pistachio macarons? I’ve gone a little crazy ~ Hope this isn’t a phase and eventually get so sick of pistachios that I don’t want to eat anymore pistachio flavoured goodies. I really like this pistachio gelato because it’s very flavoursome, I’ve had pistachio ice-cream before and I’m pretty sure they use pistachio essence and not extract…so it doesn’t have the ‘real’ pistachio taste…but the pistachio gelato here uses the ‘real ‘ stuff and once you’ve had a spoonful bite, you immediately want another one :D It is truly addictive!

Large 1-3 Flavours $40HKD ($5AUD) - Chocolate Fondant, Mango and Pistachio

It’s reasonably priced too ~ for $40HK ($5AUD) you can get the large cup with your choice of 1 to 3 flavours ~ Win Win and I got the Chocolate Fondant, Mango and of course Pistachio. Win Win is really picky with chocolate gelato and she’s always looking for one with a strong chocolate flavour, and she seemed to like this gelato, saying that it was quite rich. If it meets her expectations I trust it’s pretty good hehe :P I liked it too but didn’t think it was very ‘fondant’ like though lol The mango reminds me of Dad because he doesn’t eat a lot of ice-cream but when he does it’s always ‘mango’ ~ it tasted more like a sorbet than a gelato. It was nice…but it simply wasn’t my favourite lol

Chocolate Fondant $34HKD ($4.25AUD) plus 2 scoops of ice-cream $15HKD($1.80AUD)

I went back yesterday with Kaylee – going to miss you SO SO SO much, even though we’ve only known each other for a short period of time…we definitely had ‘fireworks’ please come and visit soon! We had brunch and I was ready for something sweet ~ and even though I’ve gone to Milkissimo a few times I didn’t know they had a chocolate fondant ~

It's so pretty!

It was sooooo pretty ~ We both liked the little snow flake on the chocolate fondant cake, we went for two scoops of ice-cream, yes pistachio again (told you I’m obsessed) and raspberry cake ~ Both gelato’s were delish! But I still prefer the pistachio :P

Ooey gooey ~

Nothing beats a totally ooey gooey chocolate fondant ~ YUM! I really liked it :) Only down fall was…the ice-cream was too small! I would’ve preferred if the waitress had told me nicely that they were mini scoops…LOL I couldn’t help but buy myself another single serve of pistachio ice-cream $28HKD ($3.5AUD)~

If you like creamy and gelato’s that full of flavour then Milkissimo will make you very happy  ~ unfortunately right now you can only get Milkissimo either in Japan or Hong Kong ~ so maybe it’s time you planned your next holiday :P

Milkissimo
Shop L406, The ONE, 100 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
尖沙咀彌敦道100號The ONE L406號舖
PH: + 852 2682 1566

Tagged: , , , ,

40 thoughts on “41° Gelato – Milkissimo

1. andy1076 April 4, 2012 at 6:11 am Reply

Yummers!!! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 5:49 am Reply

Totally yummy ~ but i’d still like to try the gelato place you suggested in Canada :D

2. "Our traveling without moving!..." April 4, 2012 at 6:40 am Reply

In one word: mouthwatering!

3. Fatboo April 4, 2012 at 7:06 am Reply

Yay that you like Pistachio! That’s my favourite flavour too, sometimes the not so good ones can taste a little like almonds. I also like green tea, black sesame, taro and good dark chocolate.

In Melb, I like going to Jock’s in Middle Park, and Helados Jaujas (new place in Carlton).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 5:51 am Reply

Yes that’s so true! I hate bad pistachio flavoured gelato :( I love love love green tea ~ not really a fan of black sesame or taro though hehe and good dark chocolate is always so yummy ~

Ohhh I haven’t heard of Jocks and have put Helados Jaujas on my ‘must go’ list hehe thanks for the recommendations! Please let me know if you find anymore!

4. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals April 4, 2012 at 7:33 am Reply

Dairy you are killing me here! It’s so hot at Houston and I can devour one of those gelatos RIGHT NOW!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 5:53 am Reply

Hello Jeno~ I didn’t know it was already so hot in Houston? I thought it was still spring and weather was suppose to be nice and sunny but not that hot :P Hope you get some nice gelato soon ~

• Jeno April 6, 2012 at 9:33 am Reply

It’s almost always hot at Houston, Haha!

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 4, 2012 at 8:22 am Reply

the blueberry looks more like blackberry so I think you might be right with the artificial flavours there (or at least colours). I really like gelato that just tastes like sweet fruit. Have you ever tried Berthillon ice cream? That is so accurately like the flavour, it’s heaven! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 5:54 am Reply

That’s what I thought too Lorraine :( It just wasn’t that great sigh ~ it’s hard to find gelato that tastes like sweet fruit, because most of them are overly sweet lol and that’s coming from me :P
      I haven’t tried Berthillon ice-cream but am definitely going to try :D is it in Sydney? ~

6. ironchefshellie April 4, 2012 at 10:42 am Reply

yummm! i want some ooey gooey chocolate fondant :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 5:55 am Reply

I want to have it again Shellie :D Or maybe i should make my own lol ~

7. Hannah April 4, 2012 at 11:37 am Reply

I’m not really an ice cream or gelato person except when I’m in Italy! I spent my 2 weeks in Florence trying as many pistachio gelatos as I could. The sign of a good one is if it’s not hyperactively green. This looks like it could be good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 5:56 am Reply

Ohhh i’m so so so jealous! I’d love the chance to go to Italy and try all their authentic gelatos YUM YUM ~ I agree anything that’s ‘overly’ green is probably artificial and we should stay away from hehe

• Hannah April 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm Reply

I remember the licorice gelato at Grom blew my mind. And there was one place that did a soft-style gelato with crushed meringue and chocolate… and the coffee granita near the David…. *swoon*

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 6, 2012 at 7:22 am Reply

Ohhhh nice :) I like eating licorice but I’ve never really had licorice ice-cream sounds interesting ~ I remember a fabulous honey ice-cream that I had in Tassie :D I love trying unique gelato/ice-cream flavours hehe ~

8. Simply Fahad-istic! (@PharaohKhan) April 4, 2012 at 11:52 am Reply

Daisy,I love how you write – Full of energy/zeal,informatively,with an edge of humor to it!
    “Hope this isn’t a phase and eventually get so sick of pistachios that I don’t want to eat anymore pistachio flavoured goodies.” This made me laugh,LOL,it has happened to me a couple of times!
    Had I been you,I would have tried Caramel Macchiato for sure!:-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 5:59 am Reply

Hello Twitter-buddy :D
      thanks for the lovely comment and dropping by my blog! You are always so supportive hehe ~ I’m glad you like my writing I dunno if i’m really that funny hahaha i don’t really try, I basically write the way I would talk :P
      I think I tried the caramel macchiato before but still liked the pistachio more hehe

9. beti April 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reply

that’s just heaven, I would go crazy in there

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 6:00 am Reply

I go crazy every time I go lol even though I’ve gone quite a few times hahaha

10. Rice Bowl Tales April 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm Reply

You’ve just given me an excuse to plan my next trip back to HK lol, don’t know if my husband will be convinced though!
    I’ve never tried Gelato before, are they made with gelatin? Look so smooth and creamy, do they have the texture of frozen yogurt? I adore frozen yogurt by the way.
    Thank you for taking us through all these lovely desserts journeys of yours, they really sweetened my days :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 6:02 am Reply

You’re very welcome :D I’ve given you many MANY excuses Jane :) I’ve still got so many more places that I’d share with you and everyone else and make you want to come back to HK more and more :P that’s my goal hahaha I hope i’m succeeding hehe ~
      I think the main difference in gelato and ice-cream is the whipping time and speed, I don’t really know the technical differences, but generally gelato contains less fat, hence it’s supposedly better for you lol

11. Just looking at another blog where I decided I was in the mood for chocolate cake. But looking at yours, now I want icecream…or gelato…I don’t even know the difference but I know I like both:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 6:46 am Reply

YAY! I’m so glad you’ve made you switch and now you want ice-cream/gelato more hehe to me gelato is just kinda lighter ~ but I like anything with sugar and that’s cold hehe :P

12. hotlyspiced April 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm Reply

I love gelato but I like it to be natural and not have artificial colours and flavours. It sure seems like there’s an enormous variety of flavours available. I’ve never had blueberry gelato so it’s interesting that you say you didn’t really like it. But pistachio is a flavour I love! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 6:52 am Reply

Me too Charlie :) Yeah i really didn’t like the blueberry gelato but maybe that’s just me don’t let me put you off it ~ Definitely try the pistachio flavoured ice-cream sooooo delish!

13. kellysiew April 4, 2012 at 9:42 pm Reply

The colours are so vibrant!! I don’t usually like icecream or gelato (or any sweet stuff for that matter, totally opposite from you haha) but somehow I crave for them during winter time. Strange creature I am.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 6:53 am Reply

LOL that’s so funny we’re opposites :P I know what you mean I insisted on having an icy pole in new york even though it was negative 10 degrees HAHAHA

14. Cupcake Crazy Gem April 5, 2012 at 2:29 am Reply

Hmm yum, I would have loved to have tried the mango! I can’t believe how bright the blueberry flavour is! wow I would love to make a cupcake as vibrant as that! haha
    and you’re right I do make alot of Oreo cupcakes, I came home this week to visit and my sister has even requested Oreo cupcakes for her birthday so looks like I will be baking some more! The stall at my uni only happens twice a year – once for Christmas and once for Easter. It would be fun to do it once a week but I’m not sure my stress levels could cope with that! haha…and let me know how the coconut ones turn out if you decide to make them for your man! Happy Easter!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2012 at 6:58 am Reply

Hello Gem :) I’m sure you’d be able to make cupcakes with that vibrant colour you are such a talented baker!!!
      LOL I think it’s cute that your sister requested Oreo cupcake ~ there are so many cupcake recipes of yours that I’d love to make :D Just haven’t had the chance to make them yet :(
      Ohh nice I’ve always wanted a store of myself and sell my baked goodies…but I have a bad feeling that no one will buy my things lol
      Happy Easter to you too ~

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 5, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

If this store is in my neighborhood, I’d be going there everyday to try one flavor at a time. Ohhh matcha one looks so delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 6, 2012 at 7:25 am Reply

The matcha was very good :) maybe you can try it next time when you go to Japan?~ Which part of Japan are you from Nami? ~ Hope you find it :D

16. Asmita (@FoodieAsmita) April 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm Reply

I love anything sweet. Whether it’s gelato or ice cream. All these flavors look so good. I think I might go tomorrow and get some gelato.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 6, 2012 at 7:25 am Reply

*high five* Asmita :) I like anything sweet too hehe ~ i think it’s a great idea to go and get some gelato tomorrow :D

17. liannelow April 6, 2012 at 6:24 am Reply

I love both gelato and ice cream! hehe (: But this one you went to looks so good! Havent had gelato in a while! Need to get some pistachio gelato in my belly soon! hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 6, 2012 at 7:32 am Reply

We can go together :) I’ve got a few new places that I’d love to try when I come back hehe ~ really going to miss the pistachio gelato :(

• liannelow April 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm Reply

hehe let’s do that then! (: Gelato outing! WHEE!

18. bakingaddict April 6, 2012 at 10:11 am Reply

I love gelato and had it everyday when I was in Italy. Sometimes more than once a day! The flavours look interesting and I especially like the look of the green tea one. The chocolate fondant looks good too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 8:30 am Reply

I’m so jealous :) so many Readers have told me that they had amazing gelato in Italy hehe I’ve never been can’t wait to go though ~ All the flavours were good except the blueberry one that was weird hehe ~