Multiple Courses – Teppanyaki

I’m sorry for the late post, for those who follow me on Twitter/Instagram will know I’ve gone a little crazy with the desserts lol so I’ve done a lot of eating but not much writing my bad! Promise to do better from now on ~ Wanted to give you a little break from just desserts today and take you to Teppanyaki at The Splendor hotel in Kaohsiung.

My parents are really traditional and only like Chinese food, especially Canton cuisine. That’s why I was really surprised and excited when they were willing to go to Teppanyaki with me ;) This is one of Win Win and my favourite restaurants in Taiwan because they serve great quality teppanyaki also offer a semi-salad and dessert buffet all at a great price :D

We all ordered from the lunch menu and as you can see it includes many courses ~ Mum ordered the Teppan Fried Crispy Chicken $850TWD ($27.85AUD), Dad ordered Prawns with Chicken $1500TWD ($49.15AUD) and I got the Australia Fillet $1200TWD ($39.30AUD) and because we were guests we didn’t need to pay the 10% service charge YAY!

Let’s start with the semi-buffet ~

Lots of dishes to choose from ~

They had a good range of savoury dishes such as teriyaki beef, mini tuna potato salad, smoked chicken breast with peppers and an organic salad bar ~ great way to start a meal.

I was trying to be good so started off with a plate of salad ~ I’ve never had the ‘purple’ veggie but I’m sure Norma (Garden To Wok) will know~ I was a little skeptical when Dad placed it onto my plate…but was still willing to try. It was quite pleasant to eat lol very refreshing but I know none of my sisters would eat it because it really is like eating ‘grass’ :P

Left - Minestrone Soup
Right - Cream of Mushroom

We were then served soup of the day ~ they had Minestrone, Cream of Mushroom, French Onion and another soup which I’ve forgotten sorry! Mum and Dad both got the Cream of Mushroom which was another surprise hahaha they usually say it’s too creamy and rich. I knew it was going to be a filling and rich meal so got the minestrone instead. As a responsible blogger hehe I tried both soups and thought they were cooked well, however, the minestrone tasted a little diluted…think I prefer the Cream of Mushroom more ~

Very talented chef!

We were very lucky the executive teppanyaki chef Jeffrey Ho was cooking for us today ~ He was very nice and told us that he’s originally from Singapore that’s why he could speak a little bit of Cantonese. Mum was SO happy because she doesn’t really speak any Mandarin but still thinks she does even though people don’t understand her :P

Entree - Teppan Fried Salmon with Scallop and Seasonal Vegetables

I forgot that we had an entree and was surprised to see it, I was too busy eating from the semi-buffet ~ Both the salmon and scallops were cooked perfectly, especially the scallop it wasn’t overcooked or too raw :)

Dad's Prawns

The prawns were so pretty with its tailed spread out like a little flower ~ Dad only had one and gave me the other. The mango salsa was a little spicy but went really well with the prawns. Too bad Win Win missed out hehe prawns are her favourite.

My beef fillet ~

Chef Ho kindly helped us share my beef fillet so we could all try it :) This may sound a little patriotic but hahaha I honestly believe we produce the best beef in Australia~ It was so tender and juicy! Only thing I would say is that it was a little too ‘well done’, Mum likes everyone cooked thoroughly but it was still totally delicious!

Teppan Fried Crispy Chicken

Mum and Dad both ordered chicken so lots to share amongst us, I’ve had it before but it still amazes me how they can keep the meat so tender ~ I’ve had teppan fried chicken elsewhere and its either overcooked where it becomes tough or it’s not thoroughly cooked and I need to ask them to recook it. But Chef Ho was perfect the first time round and it was scrumptious ~ I don’t usually eat the chicken skin because it’s quite fatty and I save my calories for desserts but I couldn’t resist the crispy chicken skin with Chef Ho’s homemade sauce.

Veggies

Last teppanyaki dish was some teppan fried bean sprouts, Dad and I love bean sprouts and after having a substantial amount of meat it was nice to have some veggies to refresh our palate :) but we found it to be slightly bland and just needed an extra pinch of salt and pepper ~

Taken to the 'dessert' room ~

We were then asked very nicely to ‘get up’ and go to the dessert room down the hall :) LOVE THIS PART ~ The Splendor hotel is the tallest building in Koahsiung so we had a great view of the city ~

Great view ~

Mum was particularly impressed with the view because she kept saying Koahsiung’s such a small city hahaha but then there were still many high-rise buildings.

Desserts!

Now to my favourite part ~ even though the teppanyaki was great, to me a meal must always have dessert for it to be complete :D they had a mini dessert bar which had a decent range of cakes, pudding and fruit.

My selection ~

I wanted to try everything! But because I was already quite stuffed, I only picked the ones that interested me ~ Starting from the left (anti-close wise). Green tea and red bean sponge cake not bad, however, the matcha flavour wasn’t strong enough and there was too much whipped cream :( Creme brulee had a nice hard crispy caramelised top, I didn’t really like the creme part it was to ‘eggy’ for my liking. Peach friand it was nice enough but a little dry and wasn’t really sweet enough definitely not my favourite. Mango mousse cake a very regular cake you get from any Asian bakery once again not my favourite. But my favourite was the walnut and chocolate brownie! I was expecting it to be dry and hard, instead it was so moist, soft and crunchy with the walnuts :) One of the best brownies I’ve had in such a long time ~

Iced Green Tea ~

Dad and I finished this wonderful multiple course meal with an Iced Green Tea, while mum had a hot English Breakfast tea which I conveniently forgot to take a picture of :P I was getting sleepy with all the food we just had lol

Highly recommend you trying Teppanyaki when you get the chance to go to Koahsiung, great value for the quality and quantity of food that you get ~ I really hope they still have that brownie when you go :D

Teppanyaki – The Splendor
39/F, No 1 Tzu-Chiang 3rd Rd
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
39/5 高雄市苓雅區自強三路1號n
PH: +886 7 566 8000

Tagged: , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “Multiple Courses – Teppanyaki

1. Norma Chang April 1, 2012 at 5:27 am Reply

I think the purple veggie is some kind of raw sprouts, looks like it is from the brassica family. Did you find out what it is?
    I see the chef removed the head (bean) and tail (root) from the mung bean sprouts thus elevating it to silver needles.
    That was quite a meal. If I ate the way you do, I would look like a blimp.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 1, 2012 at 5:40 am Reply

I’m already a blimp Norma hahaha need to go on diet soon :)
      I haven’t been able to find out ~ but I think it’s some type of sprouts to!
      Wow i didn’t know there were so many types of sprouts hehe and never heard of silver needles :D

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 1, 2012 at 6:17 am Reply

Hehe your mum sounds cute how she thinks that she can speak Mandarin! And you know I agree that we produce amazing beef in Australia, especially the exported stuff-it’s fantastic!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 1, 2012 at 6:20 am Reply

It’s not so cute when she keeps repeating something in Cantonese and expects people to understand :P That’s so true sighh they export all the great stuff and even though we can still get great beef in Australia…sometimes it’s just not as good hehe you’re up so early Lorraine on a Sunday!

3. hotlyspiced April 1, 2012 at 7:12 am Reply

I love Teppanyaki too. Great that they have an organic salad bar. I think when Australia exports beef, the best quality is exported. Isn’t it always good to finish a meal with a brownie! I’m so glad it was dense, moist and soft – a dried out one can be so disappointing. And that city doesn’t look small to me at all. Great view! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 2, 2012 at 5:24 am Reply

Me too Charlie :) It’s always fun having teppanyaki for dinner is like watching a show it still amazes me how the chefs are so talented :P I always need to have some sort of dessert for a meal to be complete hehe I was surprised too that the brownie was SO nice ~

4. liannelow April 1, 2012 at 8:14 am Reply

YUM! I love Teppanyaki and my brother only goes to this specific place in Singapore for Teppan on his birthday! So it’s a yearly event for my family haha. But how great is it that they had a dessert buffet??? hehe The brownie looks super moist! I do miss Hong Kong! hehe Especially the sky scrape views!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 2, 2012 at 5:29 am Reply

That’s a great idea :) I might tell Mr Bao that I want Teppanyaki for my bday next year too hehe I love how everything is cooked and served…but I doubt that we’ll find a place that has so many courses hehe :P that brownie was SO SO SO nice ~ HK really has the best night view :D

5. msihua April 1, 2012 at 8:53 am Reply

OH MY GOD! Is that how they do Teppanyaki in HK? I”m sooooooo in! I wantttttt….

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 2, 2012 at 5:30 am Reply

This was in Taiwan I-hua not HK :) It’ll probably be a lot more expensive if it was in HK hehe it was SUCH a great meal ~

6. Hannah April 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm Reply

I always end up disappointed with desserts at buffet-ish places like this. Always too sweet and creamy and mainstream and lacklustre. But the meal does look fun :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 2, 2012 at 5:31 am Reply

I’m usually disappointed too but the desserts here were quite good for the price we pay :D And i really liked the BROWNIE ~ YUM YUM!

7. Rice Bowl Tales April 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm Reply

Looks like a very interesting meal to have, also nice to share it with your parents. I’m sure they must enjoy themselves watching the chef preparing the meal, and have a chance to talk to them about how everything is done. ( I know I would, it’s something we like doing at our age haha ~ talking to people, watching food cooked and eating good food :p) Even the desserts may not have been perfect, but looking at them make me wants to taste some now!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 2, 2012 at 5:43 am Reply

Hahhaa you know my parents well Jane :) they were So happy about talking to Chef Ho lol and I think Mum was just happy she didn’t have to speak in ‘Mandarin’ hahahaa :P The desserts weren’t the best :) But i really liked their brownie hehe it was much better than I expected ~

8. lovefoodcookfood April 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm Reply

That all looks delicious! I would want to try it all. :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 2, 2012 at 5:38 am Reply

Hello :) thanks for dropping by my blog ~ and hope you find some great teppanyaki soon ~

9. Christie @ Fig & Cherry April 2, 2012 at 8:45 am Reply

Oooh I love teppanyaki! That salmon and scallop look scrumptious!

10. Nic@diningwithastud April 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reply

Ooooh fancy teppanyaki :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 2, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reply

I like how it’s so fancy but still quite reasonably priced hehe ~

11. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals April 3, 2012 at 12:08 am Reply

Daisy, reading your posting is always a pleasure! Seems like you have a real good relationship with your parents, I laughed out loud about your Mom thinking she knows how to speak Mandarin, that’s just too adorable! It’s amazing how sophisticated the food looks on your Asia trip, when we left Taiwan in 1988 I’ve only eaten at mostly traditional Chinese restaurants, McDonald’s and Wendy’s had just opened up their first fast food place at Taiwan, so for me to look at the wonderful photos and read your eating experience, it’s so eye opening!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2012 at 4:28 am Reply

Hello Jeno :) Always so lovely to read your comments too ~ Taiwan has definitely developed in the past 5 to 10 years ~ and it’s developing rapidly so it must be a shock to you! Which part of Taiwan were you originally from? I’ve forgotten I’m sure you’ve told me before sorry!
      Wow i can’t believe when you left Mac Donalds and Wendy’s had just opened now it’s everywhere hahaha I’m hoping to write more about Taiwan just have so much to write about lately :D

12. Malou April 3, 2012 at 12:24 am Reply

I love teppanyaki, could eat them everyday. ;-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2012 at 4:29 am Reply

Me too :) love it~ it’s like watching a show too they are so talented!

13. myfoodtrail April 3, 2012 at 9:38 am Reply

This looks much better than the Teppanyaki I’ve had in Melbourne. They care more about the presentation than just putting the cooked stuff on your plate! And a semi buffet of salad and dessert too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 4, 2012 at 2:14 am Reply

I totally agree :) Everything’s plated really nice and it’s a good price too ~ which is always a bonus hehe

14. Choc Chip Uru April 3, 2012 at 5:35 pm Reply

I adore teppanyaki and could eat it all day :D – your pictures are gorgeous!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 4, 2012 at 2:26 am Reply

Me too Uru :) teppanyaki is so yummy hehe thank you! I’m learning how to use my camera so glad you think my pictures look nice ~ so encouraging!! xox

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 5, 2012 at 10:13 am Reply

Noted!!! We’ll be going to Kaohsiung again this December, and we’ll try this place! Looks great!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 7, 2012 at 8:31 am Reply

You’d love it Nami ~ so jealous that you get to go again in December :) I really love Taiwan so much hehe

16. bakingaddict April 6, 2012 at 10:14 am Reply

This looks like a feast for a king! The food looks amazing… you are making me hungry even though it’s in the middle of the night here!!