On A Budget – Crema

Mr Bao would like me to thank everyone for the kind comments in my previous post, he and his family are feeling much better now~ Thank you once again!

I know you’ve all been following me on my crazy dessert marathons and to be honest it can be expensive sometimes to dine at these places. However, I thought I was leaving HK soon so I was willing to splurge and eat wherever I wanted to :) But then some of my friends don’t want to spend that much on afternoon tea or dessert, which is fair enough and even though I strongly disagree with them :P I must respect them. So when Mr T suggested a catch up on a budget I did some research and found a nice cafe – Crema tucked away in a small shopping centre in Tsim Sha Tsui East ~

Source: Openrice

We got there at around 2:30pm on a Saturday and it was pretty packed, we scored a table in the middle of the store and was immediately handed a menu. They had a very simple menu with a variety of coffee, cakes on display and some mains like pasta and sandwiches. Prices were quite reasonable with afternoon tea sets for about $45HKD ($5.5AUD) you get a piece of cake or sandwich plus a coffee of your choice.

Mr Bao and Mr T were pretty hungry so insisted that we order savoury foods before we got cake :P I think they were worried that this was going to be a ‘dessert for lunch’ type catch up hahaha

Spaghetti carbonara $55HKD ($6.7AUD)

Even though we didn’t expect the spaghetti to be top notch…we were quite disappointed by the pasta, it is quite obvious the sauce came out of a can and it had been diluted. The ham also had a weird ‘plasticy’ taste to me, thank gosh the pasta wasn’t overcooked if not it was have been an epic fail.

Mushroom and Chicken Spaghetti $55HKD ($6.7AUD)

It was the same thing with the next pasta…and it was worse because we found a little ‘bug’ and they had to make us another one :( The sauce was so watery and I couldnt’ taste any mushrooms, while the chicken was simply boiled chicken breast pieces stirred into the pasta.

We were pretty over the savoury food by  now and was ready to order cake ~ but Mr Bao was still hungry so decided to order a Tuna and Egg Mayonnaise tea set plus a latte for $46HKD ($5.60AUD).

Tuna and Egg Mayonnaise Toast $38HKD ($4.64AUD)

Another disappointment :( There was barely any filling… and they definitely put too much mayonnaise in both the tuna and the egg filling.

Latte with tea set plus $8HKD ($1AUD)

Crema is known for their latte art :) Definitely impressed! I haven’t seen many places be able to produce such pretty lattes anywhere let alone HK ~

So pretty :D

I wish I had known before and had asked for their famous ‘rabbit’, I saw it in other reviews that its extra cute! Mr Bao seemed to enjoy it and I had a sip and thought it was a pretty decent cup of coffee :) I wouldn’t say it was the more aromatic coffee I’ve had, but given the coffee standards here this was definitely at least an A ~

Mocha with tea set plus $8HK ($1AUD)

I was so disappointed when my mocha came, I was expecting another amazing bear or rabbit…but nope because I ordered a mocha the barista didn’t think it was necessary to make it pretty. It tasted pretty good though ~ had a subtle coffee taste though not as strong as I like them.

Apple Pie Cake $38HKD ($4.64AUD)

We started off with an Apple Pie Cake, basically large apple pie cut into cake slices ~ the tart crust was very thick and dry, quite hard for our fork to cut through. The filling was alright, quite sweet though even for me hahaha but Mr Bao and Mr T seemed to like it saying that it’s been a while since they’ve had an apple pie.

New York Cheesecake $38HKD ($4.64AUD)

I was quite surprised that this was a rather rich cheesecake, it had a thick digestive biscuit base, firm cream cheese layer then topped with a thin layer of sour cream ~ I’m pretty sure Crema don’t bake their own cake and get their cakes from a supplier and I’m certain I’ve had this cake before at another cafe lol it wasn’t the best cheesecake I’ve had, but for $38HK it was a decent piece of New York Cheesecake ~

Chocolate Truffle Cake $38HKD ($4.64AUD)

This was probably the most disappointing cake out of the three :( it had the same digestive biscuit cake base, then a layer of chocolate sponge cake, chocolate ganache another layer of sponge cake then the whole cake is covered in this hard chocolate ganache. The cake layers and ganache was so dry and hard that we couldn’t even pick it up with our forks. We didn’t even finish it…and that never happens I never waste cake >_<

Verdict – Definitely go for their coffees and maybe a piece of cake, but bear in mind they’re not all good and don’t have high expectations of their savoury foods~
Crema

Shop LG17, LG/F, Hilton Towers,
96 Gran
ville Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
尖沙咀加連威老道96號希爾頓大廈低層LG17
PH: 2369 0338

Tagged: , , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “On A Budget – Crema

1. andy1076 March 28, 2012 at 5:25 am Reply

That’s a shame about the cake, looked so good too! :(

2. Nic@diningwithastud March 28, 2012 at 9:46 am Reply

I’d love to learn how to do latte art like this :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 4:51 am Reply

Me too :D I’d love to do a latte art class hehe ~ but i only have a Nesepresso coffee machine at home :P

3. delicieux March 28, 2012 at 10:24 am Reply

Awww that bear face in the latte is SO adorable!!! I wouldn’t want to drink it though as it’s too cute!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 4:52 am Reply

I totally agree :) it’s so cute but it’s not fair I didn’t get one because I got a mocha and not a latte sighhh

4. Asmita (@FoodieAsmita) March 28, 2012 at 10:57 am Reply

The latte looked superb. Shocking that the cakes weren’t that good, they looked yum.

5. beti March 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm Reply

I love those coffees! the design on top is lovely!

6. hotlyspiced March 28, 2012 at 3:57 pm Reply

It’s a shame the place was pretty underwhelming and rightly so there should have been a happy face on your mocha! The cheesecake looks very yummy but it’s a shame it’s out-sourced. Food always seems fresher if it’s made on the premises! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 4:57 am Reply

Yes I couldn’t agree Charlie! Food is always better when it’s made fresh :( but i find that many cafes here in HK purchase their cakes from suppliers sighhh and its not fair… i deserve a cute face on my mocha too ~

7. Choc Chip Uru March 28, 2012 at 6:30 pm Reply

I am ashamed to think such delicious cakes would taste not up to standard :(
    You were most unlucky!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 6:48 am Reply

Yes that’s so true :( it’s never a great afternoon tea without decent cake sighh definitely never going back for cake but will go back for a pretty lattes hehe

8. Rice Bowl Tales March 28, 2012 at 7:00 pm Reply

Nothing worse then having disappointed desserts or afternoon tea time! Especially when it was supposed to be the high light of your day, isn’t it ?
    At least they do good latte, that lovely bear face does bring a smile to my face :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 6:50 am Reply

It made me so happy too when I saw the little bear hehe very delicate and you’ve gotta have a very good barista ~ but they didn’t give me a pretty mocha… i got a boring onehehe ~

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 28, 2012 at 8:45 pm Reply

Sounds like a bit of a disappointment all round except for the latte art! :( It’s never quite as good when they buy in cakes from a supplier, especially if you’ve had it at other places!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm Reply

Yes that’s true…never quite good when they don’t make it themselves sighhh and i’m sure they could have got a better supplier hehe but doesn’t matter sometimes I guess the people you’re with are more important than the food ~

10. Faith March 29, 2012 at 4:09 am Reply

I’m glad to hear Mr Bao is feeling better!

It really is a shame that the food wasn’t great…the latte is adorable though! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reply

Thanks Faith he’s feeling much better :) I know sighhh but at least it was a very cute latte ~

11. Hannah March 29, 2012 at 9:34 am Reply

I’m sad there’s been icky food and sickness in your life, but what can’t be cured by baked cheesecake? Aaaaah I want cheesecake so badly now, and I *am* going on a cakespedition today but I don’t think the place does cheesecake :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm Reply

I know Hannah :( I hate it when there’s bad food sighhh OHHH you’re going to a cakespeidition? I’m soooo jealous!!!! You’ve gotta post about it soon ~

12. princeproductions March 29, 2012 at 10:35 am Reply

Wow amazing coffee art!!

13. Choc Chip Uru March 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm Reply

I have awarded you my friend because you deserve it through your blogging and food commitment :D
    Enjoy and congrats!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm Reply

That’s so sweet :) Thank you so much!!! I’m definitely gonna pass the award to other bloggers too~

Because as a new blogger I know it’s lovely to get some encouragement!

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm Reply

I’ve seen a lot of art on the coffee, but this is my very first bear. I’m really surprised how cute and well drawn it is! Sorry the food wasn’t too good. :-(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 30, 2012 at 4:53 am Reply

I know ;) it’s so cute hehe I was a little disappointed with the cake too ~ but I understand that it was on a budget hehe

15. Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) March 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm Reply

Aww.. sorry it was such a disappointment.

I’ve almost never seen a bear when it comes to coffee art. adorable. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 30, 2012 at 4:54 am Reply

It was my first time too :) it was so perfect too ~ The cake definitely was a disappointment would be a perfect place to go if they had better cake ~

16. libishski March 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm Reply

That pasta looks like nasty business but OMG, that bear is too cute!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 30, 2012 at 4:56 am Reply

The pasta was the WORSE!!!! Latte was good though would have liked a smiley face on my Mocha :)

17. liannelow March 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reply

I thought the cakes would be yummy! I went to Hong Kong beginning of last year and was looking for this place cause I heard so much about the coffee! But sadly. I couldn’t find it! :( The bear is SO CUTE!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 30, 2012 at 4:59 am Reply

Ohhh damn!! But it’s really hard to find it! It’s hidden underneath this weird building hehe next time you come let me know and I’ll give you advice on how to get there :D the bear was so so so pretty!!! But i want a smiley face on my mocha too!

18. gourmetgetaway March 30, 2012 at 7:03 am Reply

Oh I think the captcha got my comment. I wanted to say how gorgeous the cakes looked! I hate it when desserts look amazing and then disappoint!

Love the cute little bear creme though :)

• gourmetgetaway March 30, 2012 at 7:04 am Reply

I meant wordpress, not captcha… it didn’t like my login

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 31, 2012 at 7:19 am Reply

Oh I’m sorry if you tried to comment and it didn’t come through :( I’ll check my spam more carefully next time~
        Me too! I’d rather have an ugly piece of cake that’s actually really good! The latte was good though still upset that I didn’t get one hehe

• gourmetgetaway April 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm Reply

You take gorgeous photos, even the dishes you say arent great look divine :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 16, 2012 at 3:13 am Reply

Thank you once again Julie :) I’m still working on my photography skills but it’s very nice of you to compliment me! It makes me feel as if I’m making some progress hehe ~

19. kellysiew March 31, 2012 at 6:00 pm Reply

Urghh I hate restaurants that don’t even make an effort to make their own pasta sauce (let alone the pasta) especially since it’s so easy.

But love the latte art!! I think now a lot of asian countries are catching on to latte art, starting to see some in KL too.

By the way My condolences to your Mr Bao and his family.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 1, 2012 at 5:29 am Reply

Thank you Kelly :) He’s feeling much better now ~

Me too! The pasta was so nasty ewww I can’t cook…but even I can do a better job :(

I really like the latte art makes drinking coffee even more enjoyable!

20. Julie March 31, 2012 at 9:41 pm Reply

really thought the Chocolate Truffle Cake looked the best, what a shame :(! The latte art is way too cute :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 1, 2012 at 5:37 am Reply

I know :( i thought the chocolate truffle cake was going to be the best too but it was soooo bad! Sighhh doesn’t matter the latte art made up for it ~ Just really wished they gave me one for my mocha hehe

21. myfoodtrail April 3, 2012 at 9:36 am Reply

That bear latte art is soooooo cute! And the truffle cake… drool!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 4, 2012 at 2:12 am Reply

Unfortunately April the Truffle cake wasn’t as good as it looks :( But will definitely go back for the bear latte ~

22. bakingaddict April 6, 2012 at 10:16 am Reply

Shame it wasn’t quite up to scratch but love the bear latte art! So cool!

23. seo package April 8, 2012 at 5:45 am Reply

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing in your feed and I’m hoping you write once more soon!