Pleasant Afternoon – Lobby Lounge Intercontinental

Hello :) I have news to announce ~ my stay in HK has been extended! So posts may become a little more regular for the next week or so because I’m staying here for another 2 weeks. In a nutshell, Mr Bao’s grandma had recently passed away :( so he had to come back to HK… and since I was already here… Win Win suggested that maybe I can stay to support him before we fly back together.

As you all know I’ve been going on a dessert rampage :) but I’ve realised that it’s also a High Tea marathon hehe because its one of the easiest ways to try lots of desserts at once and I’m also able to keep my friends happy who can’t just eat sweet food lol Let’s go to the Lobby Lounge at the Intercontinental Hotel today :D

Great view of the Victoria Harbour ~

Intercontinental Hotel has one of the best views of the Victoria Harbour :) however, because of air pollution and constant fog… it’s hard to get a good clear view >_< but still it was really nice to be able to chat with a girlfriend and have some tea and cake  ~

I was actually supposed to have high tea here the weekend before, but when we got here at 2pm, they said the afternoon tea set didn’t start until 3:30pm…but I was sure I checked online that it said they open at 2pm, so instead of waiting we went to Coco Patisserie ~ So this time…I made sure I double checked online and also called that on weekdays the high tea starts at 2:30pm. They suggested that we get there at around 2pm because it was always ‘full’. So we got there at 2pm and even though the Lobby Lounge was empty and we were asked to wait outside and come back at 2:3opm. That kind of bothers me… because I think they should have allowed us to sit down and not make us wait for no apparent reason.

They have 3 types of afternoon tea sets – Champagne, Intercontinental and The Red Box. Kaylee and I both agreed that the Chinese infused Red Box high tea was too weird for our liking and neither of us wanted to drink so we settled for the Intercontinental Tea Set.

Intercontinental Tea Set $428HKD ($53AUD) for two +10% service charge

I think the high tea at The Westin in Melbourne uses the same 3-tier stand :) I still haven’t had the chance to try their high tea hehe ~ it’s on my wish list this year. This was a very traditional high tea set, with savoury pastries and buns on the bottom layer, desserts  in the middle, assorted jams on the top and the scones were served separately.

English Breakfast Tea ~

We also ordered English breakfast tea :) I know there’s other types of teas that’s wonderful but I still think the plain old English breakfast is the best for high tea!

Savouries first ~

As per usual, we were both ravenous and started with the savouries first :) There was two of each hehe starting from the left there’s a mini bun with eggs and herbs, then a extremely miniature bagel so damn cute! Little pastrami bun and last but not least a ham and cheese pastry ~ we enjoyed the savouries, however, I didn’t like the first mini bun with eggs and herbs, I’m not sure what cream they used…but it had a really strange after taste :(

Scones!

I think another reason why I like high tea is because of the scones :) I totally heart scones ~ particularly liked how they were served it in a little basket and wrapped in a towel to keep them nice and warm ~ they weren’t just plain and raisons scones. The one with the little one dots on the right is a lemon one. I didn’t try it but Kaylee seemed to really like it :D

Irregular shape ~

They were all irregular in size…lol this one looks like a deformed mushroom!

A big fat scone lol

It was so fat at the bottom hahha couldn’t help but take a photo :) I was a little worried that they were going to taste very good ~ but they taste better than they look. Pretty well made, however, they were a little dense and not as fluffy as I would have liked, think I prefer Gregoire’s scones more :)

Strawberry jam, clotted cream and Earl Grey Jelly

The strawberry jam and clotted cream weren’t spectacular, but I really liked the Earl Grey Jelly :) I never thought I would because I’m not really an Earl Grey kind of girl lol but I really liked this jelly and thought it matched the scones ~

Oops forgot to take a picture of the desserts :p

Oops think I forgot to take a close up of the desserts :P Sorry I don’t like how they only have one piece of every cake LOL I think it would have been more generous if they gave us two pieces of each ~ starting from the left it’s a vanilla and lemon eclair with a little piece of pineapple, I didn’t mind it and thought the choux pastry was made very well. Then we’ve got an apple and coconut tart, quite nice and really liked the stewed apple on top. Then its the chocolate layer cake with raspberry/strawberry mousse, it was slightly bitter I think because of the dark chocolate ~ my favourite would have to be the lemon cheesecake :) It wasn’t that rich or dense but really light. The last one on the right is a raspberry sponge cake with a raspberry compote in between ~ It reminded me of a lamington hehe

Chocolate panna cotta

It was a lovely surprise when a waiter came over and popped down two chocolate panna cotta and said that it was complimentary with the afternoon tea set ~ I don’t usually like panna cotta but this was so smooth and creamy!

I’ve heard that you’re can order a la carte desserts ~ so I couldn’t help but order the lemon tart :)

Lemon Tart $85HKD ($10.45AUD) +10% service charge

It was a relatively small and thin tart but perfect for us, because we were pretty full by then :D

Unfortunately, I didn’t really like this lemon tart, the lemon filling tasted really artificial to me and wasn’t tangy enough. The taste reminded me of the lemon flavoured Sugus lolly ~ this a famous Asian lollies that I’m sure most of us in Asia have seen or received a box as a gift :P

Sugas Lollies ~

Source: Google Images

I also bought a piece of mille feuille to takeaway for Win Win and before I could even take a photo she had dug in and it was just too ugly to take a picture after that :P I tried it too and was impressed, the pastry was so flaky and the custard was just delish!

Overall, I enjoyed the afternoon tea set at Intercontinental and would recommend you coming for the amazing harbour view :) However, service wasn’t great for a five-star hotel and unless you like the lolly flavour maybe stay away from the lemon tart :P

Lobby Lounge
Lobby level, InterContinental Hong Kong,
18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
尖沙咀梳士巴利道18號香港洲際酒店大堂
PH: 2721 1211

Tagged: , , , , ,

37 thoughts on “Pleasant Afternoon – Lobby Lounge Intercontinental

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 25, 2012 at 9:16 pm Reply

Oh yes Sugus! I grew up eating Sugus and haw flakes but i haven’t had sugus lollies in ages! Memories!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 1:11 am Reply

Hahahaha me too but I’ve kinda grown outta them and now I’m more of a chocolate and dessert girl more than a lolly type of girls :D

2. Norma Chang March 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm Reply

That is some high tea.

3. beti March 26, 2012 at 1:01 am Reply

You always go to the best places ever, the food always looks amazing and really delicious

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 1:11 am Reply

Thanks Beti :) it’s because I can’t cook so instead of making my own hehe I make up by going to places that do a great job ~

4. bakingaddict March 26, 2012 at 4:55 am Reply

Sorry to hear about Mr Bao’s grandma- my condolences to him and his family. I love afternoon tea and am very envious of you :) this looks fabulous and if I ever visit HK again, I will make a note of where to go.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm Reply

Thank you Ros :) It was definitely a bit of a shock but I’m glad that I’m around and he’s feeling better ~ You’ve gotta come to HK when I’m here! We’ll have SO much fun together!

5. andy1076 March 26, 2012 at 5:08 am Reply

Yummy! :)

6. Cupcake Crazy Gem March 26, 2012 at 6:54 am Reply

Hmm yum, those giant scones look amazing! and I love the way you get such interesting flavour pairings in dessert over there – like a lemon and pineapple eclair and an apple and coconut tart – you would never get those here in the U.K, I am jealous – they sound delish!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 11:07 pm Reply

Really? I didn’t know you didn’t get these kind of flavours in the UK ~ Maybe it’s because patisseries in the UK like to stick to more traditional flavours :) there’s a lot of weird flavours here in HK but they don’t always work LOL

7. Rice Bowl Tales March 26, 2012 at 11:58 am Reply

Longer stay means more afternoon tea for you, and more beautiful looking cakes pics for us :) By the way, your new lens seem to be performing really well, what lens is it and what’s your camera?
    I hope Mr Bao and his family are coping ok with their sad loss, it’s good that you can postpone your leaving date to give him support.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm Reply

Yes it’s kind of bittersweet because on one hand it’s great that I can stay for longer but the on the other hand I feel so sorry for Mr Bao but thank you Jane I’ll look after him :D

Really? YAY I can’t believe such an amazing photographer like you would think my photos look better hehe it’s such a compliment :D I use an Olympus EPL3 and I got a new lens…um i have no idea what it’s called but glad that it’s working well ~

8. Choc Chip Uru March 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reply

I am sorry but this is not a pleasant afternoon at all – it is a heavenly afternoon! You have got to be kidding me, I never knew such a beautiful world existed! Your photos have me crying with craving ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm Reply

YAY :) so glad you like my photos ~ I’m still working on my photography skills hehe that’s not true you LIVE in the perfect world! You’re such a talented baker!!! :D I wish I lived in your world hehe

9. liannelow March 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm Reply

How good does that high tea spread look? I love love love scones! Those irregular scones just give it character don’t you think? hehe You’re so lucky being able to try all the different high teas in the different hotels! I wish I could too! hehe

My condolences to Mr Bao and his family. Hope they are coping with the sad loss. It’s great you’re there with him (:

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 11:12 pm Reply

We can go a high tea marathon in Melbourne too when I come back :) I’ve got a few places that I want to go hehe ~ That’s true the scones definitely have their own character hahha I was just worried that they wont taste as nice…but I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover :P

Thank you Lianne :) I’ll pass it on ~ I think they’re feeling better now.

10. hotlyspiced March 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm Reply

Apart from the pollution it looks like a wonderful place to go to just relax, unwind and enjoy the view. I think I would have chosen the champagne high tea. I’m so sorry to hear that Mr Bao’s grandmother has passed away but it’s good to know you’re able to enjoy a few more weeks in HK. xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm Reply

Thank you Charlie :) Mr Bao and his family’s feeling much better ~ Yes i agree sigh if it wasn’t because of the pollution it would have been a great view! I heard that it’s better at night so I might go have drinks there instead next time hehe :D

11. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) March 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm Reply

Now that’s one heck of a tea set. I also love staying at Intercontinental Hotel when I travel- the beds are huge too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm Reply

Thanks for coming by Adrian :) I’ve been following your blog for a while but I can’t believe I was following you on Twitter hehe

It was a great tea set hehe I enjoyed it so much ~ I love staying at Intercontinental hotels too but they’re not always cheap hahaha

12. libishski March 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm Reply

Sorry to hear about Mr Bao’s loss :(

On the other hand, that’s some impressive high tea! Haha it seems like the high teas in the hotels of HK are SO MUCH BETTER than the high teas you get in Melbourne… :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 27, 2012 at 12:49 am Reply

Thanks Libby :D he’s feeling much better now ~
      I’ve heard that a lot that the high teas in Melbourne aren’t great :( I haven’t tried I’ve booked to check out the B&P afternoon tea at Langham hope its good :D

13. Hannah March 27, 2012 at 2:55 am Reply

ohhhh yum

14. Julie March 27, 2012 at 10:22 am Reply

Sending my prays and thoughts to Mr Bao :(!

omgawd Chocolate panna cotta… yes please!

15. Jill | Dulce Dough March 27, 2012 at 11:24 am Reply

Earl Gray jelly? I would love to try that! Everything looks delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm Reply

Thanks Jill :) the Earl Grey Jelly was really nice much better than I expected hehe ~

16. Cakelaw March 27, 2012 at 7:33 pm Reply

Oohh, I adore high tea – one of my favourite things in all the world.

17. penny aka jeroxie March 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm Reply

That is really pretty! I miss HK

18. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reply

Sorry to hear about Mr. Bao’s grandma. At least your stay got extended for good reason. He needs your support. :-)

It’s very interesting cake stand and once you see it, it’s something you won’t forget. I love high tea…. it’s too dangerous for me. I have to eat every single thing!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 30, 2012 at 5:02 am Reply

Thank you Nami :) Mr Bao’s feeling much better now ~ I love high tea too! I’ve been skipping lunch and just having high tea hahaha it’s the best got a good balance of savoury and sweets hehe yum yum!
      Are there many high teas in the States? ~

19. That dessert stand must be on special. A French patisserie here in Adelaide, Au Matin Calme also uses it:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 1, 2012 at 6:21 am Reply

Really? I found another place using this cake stand too :) lol I wanna try Au Matin Calme! I wanna go to Adelaide ~