Hello Mickey & Minnie – Grand Salon

First a big hello to everyone :) I’m so sorry for being quiet and not blogging or commenting for the past few days ~ Things have been so hectic! I just got back from from Taiwan on Monday night, got to the doctors at 9am, then off to the HK Macau pier to catch the 12:30pm ferry to Macau for the day! Got back to HK at around 8pm, rushed to have dinner with friends then FINALLY got home at around midnight.

To make up for being so quiet ~ I wanted to take everyone to a magical place today – Hong Kong Disneyland :D I was at the Disneyland Resort Hotel with Win Win a few weeks ago for an event. We had some time to kill so we wandered off to the Disney store to see if there’s any goodies for Aden my adorable nephew ~not sure if Win Win will let me post his picture here but he’s so CUTE :P I might be a little biased since I’m his Auntie hehe

I then spotted the famous Mickey and Minnie statues in front of the Grand Salon ~ and couldn’t resist being a tourist for a minute and take a photo with Minnie :P

Me and Minnie ~

The Grand Salon is the lobby cafe at the Disneyland hotel, the ambience was great with a high ceiling and lots of natural lighting coming through, which is quite rare in HK.

Nice environment ~

It was pretty quiet when we walked in and was able to sit anywhere we wanted :) Win Win and I chose a nice comfy couch with a little rectangular coffee table ~

Menu ~

The friendly waitress handed us the embroidered menu, we flipped through it and knew immediately we wanted to try their afternoon tea set ~ we only ordered a set for one because we have a big meal ahead of us. They have two tea sets the Victorian Tea Set which is a more classical one with scones, sandwiches and dessert. They also have the Asian infused tea set for the same price $198HKD ($25AUD) per person.

The Victorian Afternoon Tea Set $198HKD ($25AUD) +10% service charge

We weren’t keen on the Asian tea set, so stuck with the safer and more traditional Victorian tea set ~

First layer ~ Savouries

The first layer was the ‘savoury’ plate ~ because it was a tea set for one there was only one piece of everything. We weren’t that hungry so it was more than enough for us hehe overall the sandwiches were decent, however, nothing spectacular and it was kind of obvious that it was pre-made and then simply put on the plates. The sandwiches were a little dry and wasn’t that flavoursome ~ It was also weird…how they put two Mickey and Minnie Mouse butter and chocolate cookies not sure why they weren’t put onto the dessert hahaha

Scones with butter, jam and cream ~

The scones were alright, were a little dry too and a bit too crumbly for our liking, but the worse thing would have to be the jam…it had such an artificial flavour! It seriously tasted like a cross between cough syrup and glacé  cherries :( and also turned into some kinda of jelly and not really a jam!

Pretty cute ~

I did like the presentation of the butter ~ so cute! They used a Mickey Mouse cutter would love to get my hands one of these cutters hehe!

Cakes ~

We made our way to the top layer, which consisted of three mini cakes, starting from the front, that’s a chocolate sponge cake with a whipped cream filling and topped with shaved chocolate. Not really a fan of sponge cake because it’s so bland to me ~ At the back that’s a mini strawberry tart, I liked the custard, but would have liked it even more if they it had more fruit and if the tart case wasn’t so hard. Lastly, we’ve got the mini New York cheesecake on the right, not bad but not great either, because it wasn’t a very firm cake I think it tasted more like a ‘baked’ cheesecake ~

I also ordered  English Breakfast tea and I really like the tea set that they use here,  so classical and reminds me of the ones Jane uses from Rice Bowl Tales her photos and food styling is alway so amazingly pretty :) a nice tea set is definitely on my must buy list this year :D

Pretty Tea Set ~

Even though the Hong Kong Disneyland is a magical place, unfortunately, the afternoon tea set at the Grand Salon was not magical :( Nothing was horribly bad. However, given the location, price and quality of the food, I wouldn’t recommend anyone travelling here just for their afternoon tea ~ but if you were staying at the hotel and just wanted a nice place to relax and chat, the Grand Salon is probably the most appropriate place.

Posts may be irregular until after Sunday when I fly back home to Melbourne :( thank you once again to everyone who has continued to read my blog and support me xox

Grand Salon Disneyland Hong Kong Hotel
3/F, Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel, Lantau Island
大嶼山
香港迪士尼樂園酒店3樓
PH: 3510 6000

Tagged: , , , ,

32 thoughts on “Hello Mickey & Minnie – Grand Salon

1. Rice Bowl Tales March 22, 2012 at 9:15 am Reply

Daisy dear,

What a little busy bee you’ve been! My head feels a bit dizzy following you round everywhere +__+ lol
    How sweet of you to mention my blog :)
    It’ s a shame that the Grand Salon doesn’t serve nice afternoon tea, what’s the point of having them on the menu then? May be it’s about time they hear some feed back!
    Why are you going back to Melbourne so soon? I thought you don’t start work till May? Missing Mr Bao?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 2:39 am Reply

Hello Jane :)
      Trust me I’m getting dizzy too~ hahaha just too many things to do and too many people to see before I leave :(
      You’re very welcome about your blog mention ~ because it’s true I really do love all your tea sets and amazing food styling!
      I know I didn’t have high hopes for the high tea but expected it to be a little better than this :(
      Going back to Melbourne because I want to spend some time with friends there and to settle back into the Aussie life ~ but I kind of regretting leaving so soon now because Mr Bao just came back to HK because his grandma passed away :( but I can’t change my airticket sighhh it’s really sad >_<

2. Momo March 22, 2012 at 11:25 am Reply

I don’t see Mickey…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 4:51 am Reply

I didn’t like the picture of me and Mickey so I didn’t upload them ~

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm Reply

I’ve only been to Tokyo Disneyland but I loved it there. Next time I go I’ll have a look out for these special teas! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 4:55 am Reply

Definitely :) I hope the teas at the other Disneylands are better because I was really disappointed by this one :(

4. hotlyspiced March 22, 2012 at 8:52 pm Reply

It’s a shame you found the afternoon tea to be a little underwhelming but I do love the presentation of the butter – very cute! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 5:03 am Reply

Hello Charlie :) i was so upset that it wasn’t that great ~ but it doesn’t matter at least it was a nice afternoon and hahaha they made an effort to make everything look so pretty!

5. beti March 23, 2012 at 12:29 am Reply

what I would do to go to disney! the salon looks so beautiful and the food is too cute!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 5:04 am Reply

It’s a great place to relax and chat but the afternoon tea wasn’t as good as I expected :(

6. andy1076 March 23, 2012 at 1:55 am Reply

Wua..high tea huh? nice! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 5:11 am Reply

I’m a HUGE fan of high teas hehe LOVE IT :D

• andy1076 March 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm Reply

We have it here at home every so often, my sister makes the lil finger sandwiches and even ones that are curry flavored :D lol

7. Jeno March 23, 2012 at 9:53 am Reply

Oh Daisy, I have never ever had afternoon tea before, though my sister has while she traveled to England, and she thoroughly loved it! Sorry to hear you were not impressed with the one at Disney Hong Kong, I thought you were posing next to the HUGE Minnie chocolate statue, if that was the case it probably would have made up for the lackluster afternoon tea!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 5:32 am Reply

Hello Jeno :) Ohh you’ve never had afternoon tea? It’s an amazing experience and i LOVE IT ~ Hope you get to try sometime soon! I’m a little obsessed about it hahaha Yes it’s a shame though that the afternoon tea wasn’t very good >_< sigh hahaha but a chocolate Minnie chocolate statue would have made it a lot better :P

8. Dulce Dough March 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm Reply

Your photos are beautiful! Sorry that your experience wasn’t very magical!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 5:34 am Reply

Thanks Jill :) I’m still working on my photographies hehe ~ Doesn’t matter even if the food wasn’t magical I was at a magical place :D

9. Well, at least the butter was fun:)
    I was such a strange child; I always thought butter was cheese and would eat a big slice, only to realise it was not cheese! haha:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 24, 2012 at 5:36 am Reply

Hahhaha i had a friend would did the same thing! But then he actually KNEW it was butter and liked eating spoonfuls of it :P i guess you’re right some times you go to places for the environment and not really the food hehe

10. msihua March 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm Reply

Hahaha I still have my Mickey straw from the time I visited Disneyworld when I was 10.. all other Disneylands unfortunately haven’t quite met my expectations :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 25, 2012 at 6:07 am Reply

I’ve only visited 2 Disneylands and both wont that great :( i would love to visit the Disneys in the States though ~

11. Asmita (@FoodieAsmita) March 25, 2012 at 5:51 am Reply

Love Disney world. We live very close to Orlando,Fl and visit it often. Disney does everything the best.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 25, 2012 at 6:01 am Reply

I’m so jealous that you live so close to the Disneyland in Orlando ~ i hope i get to visit that Disney soon and try their high tea out :)

12. Hannah March 25, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply

Oh no! That jam makes me cry inside :(

13. bakingaddict March 26, 2012 at 4:58 am Reply

The mickey and minnie shaped butter and cookies look great. Shame it didn’t taste that good. Love the magic of disneyland, Its been ages since I’ve been to one.

14. Cakelaw March 27, 2012 at 7:35 pm Reply

I love the picture of you and chocolate Minnie – adorable! This looks like a fun place to visit.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm Reply

Thanks :) I was being silly and wanted to include a picture of myself HAHAHA

15. Nic@diningwithastud March 29, 2012 at 8:43 am Reply

OMG I love that everything is Mickey shaped!!! Too cute :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm Reply

Me too :) But unfortunately that was the only good part of the high tea :(

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm Reply

Daisy you are so cute next to Minnie! :-)

Thanks for the honest review. I can’t believe they serve artificial flavored jam… no classy at all. The location might be nice but the food doesn’t look “outstanding”. Too bad. Next! ;-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 30, 2012 at 5:00 am Reply

Thank you Nami :D I wasn’t sure if it was a little silly to include that photo of me hehe ~
      Sigh I really was disappointed but the jam was nasty! Doesn’t matter there’s other places around in HK~