Dessert Rampage – Black N White

The dessert rampage continues :) thanks again for the lovely comments it makes eating cake for lunch less guilty!
Wanted to share with you, my recent visit to Black N White in Tai Kok Tsui ~ this dessert place has been on my wish list for a while now. Mainly because of the great reviews and because the mastermind behind this place previously worked at the famous Vero Chocolates in Wan Chai and also Mandarin Oriental hotel in Central :D

Source: Ming Pao

I’m talking about Chef Koo (古嘉俊) :) I’ve never had the chance to meet him but I know he’s a very talented pastry chefs in HK and has participated in the prestigious Le Mondial des Arts Sucrés International Dessert competition held in France ~

Win Win is also a dessert lover so I didn’t have to persuade her much, just gave her the address and we were there on Sunday ~ Love you Sis!

Unusual place for a dessert parlour ~

Took us quite some time to find the store, we never expected a modern dessert parlour to open in such a local area and was surrounded by traditional HK style cafes and hot pots ~ But I guess with rent so expensive in HK, it’s no wonder chefs choose to open in more industrial suburbs ~

Finally found it~

After going around and around in circles, we finally found a spot, parked the car and I kinda skipped ‘breakfast’ again lol I know I’m so bad, just to have more desserts ~ by the time we sat down I was ravenous!

You ordered with the 'whisk' :)

The waiter was a young guy, who seemed a little lost at what he was doing, he laid the menu down then told us when we were ready to order, we just had to take our ‘whisk’ with the table number to the counter and we’d be able to order and pay. The cakes will then be delivered to our tables~ Even though I think it’s quite creative to use a ‘whisk’ its a little silly to make customers, order and pay first when clearly the store was ‘over-staffed’ lol

'Whisk' chandelier

They even had a chandelier that was decorated with ‘whisks’ :P

Lots to choose from ~

My mouth was drooling when I saw all the desserts in front of me :P I knew I wanted to try the lemon tart and left the rest to Win Win ~

Everything was in a cup lol

It was funny though…everything was in a ‘plastic’ cup lol they didn’t really have any ‘cakes’ ~ but hey, not complaining as long as it’s sweet I’m happy :P

Mini Tiramisu $48HKD ($6AUD)

We started with the Mini Tiramisu~ unfortunately, it tasted nothing like a tiramisu. As a matter of fact I didn’t even know it was a tiramisu until Win Win told me, I thought was just mousse. It had a few layers, the bottom layer was cookie crumbles, then a layer of cream, another layer of cookie crumble then the whole thing was covered with a little chocolate bubble net. However, I couldn’t taste any coffee flavour at all…so definitely not the best tiramisu. But I really liked the cookie crumbles and could eat a whole jar of it :D

Signature Dark Chocolate Cake $48HKD ($6AUD)

Up next was their ‘Signature Dark Chocolate Cake’ which was made out of dark chocolate that had 70% cacao ~ most desserts here were layers. Similar to the previous, this was another layer of crumbs, then mousse then more crumbs and finally a dollop of chocolate ganache. Win Win is a fan of dark chocolate so she liked it. While I thought it was too ‘moussey’ and ‘creamy’ for my liking and once again I think I enjoy the cookie/cake crumbles more than the actual dessert ~ wonder if they’ll consider seeing them? I’d definitely buy it!

Strawberry Lemon Tart $68HKD ($8.4AUD)

I didn’t know it was a Strawberry Lemon Tart, so I was a little surprised to see the strawberry sorbet on top the tart ~ the waiter explained to use that it comes with a warm strawberry sauce, and he suggested that we only add a little bit of it, as its quite sour.

Strawberry Sauce to pour over ~

I’ve never had a lemon tart which had a sauce for you to pour over :) super excited!

Excuse Win Win's pinky LOL

Please excuse Win Win’s little pinky finger :P I think it runs in our family ~ my pinky goes up too when I drink tea, but Mr Bao is always reminding me because he thinks it’s not polite hahaha

I was a little disappointed with this strawberry lemon tart, because really, it should just be called a ‘strawberry’ tart, you couldn’t really taste the tanginess a lemon tart should have. I think that’s because the tart shell was filled with a strawberry puree before the filling was piped on top, the strawberry’s sweetness overpowered the lemon filling. It was still a nice tart and the strawberry sorbet was nice and refreshing, just didn’t really match the description :) definitely a winner for strawberry lovers like Mr Bao ~

Banana Crepe $28HKD ($3.5AUD)

Last but not least – Banana Crepe, I didn’t know it was so cheap until I did the conversion ~ but this crepe really puzzled us. We had no idea what we were eating and how to describe it.

We have no idea...

It’s a double layer crepe and inside it’s got this white/yellowish ‘cream’ type of filling (the bottom picture). I’ve asked other people, but no one knows what it is, it’s definitely not gelato…may be panna cotta but I think it’s some type of cheese mixed with vanilla beans. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know! It did have a nice fragrant vanilla taste to it…but just didn’t match. Now to the crepes, the first layer was this crumbly crepe it was so sticky that you can’t really chew it without it sticking to your teeth. While the top layer was a simple soft crepe and the only component of this dessert that we liked…

Worth a try if you’re a dessert lover like me ~ but definitely stay away from the crepes, unless you want to try that mysterious panna cotta like filling :P

Black N White
Unit B&D, 88-102 Ivy Street, Tai Kwok Tsui
大角咀埃華街88-102號B&D舖
PH: 2789 1330

Tagged: , , , , , ,

41 thoughts on “Dessert Rampage – Black N White

1. andy1076 March 15, 2012 at 7:51 am Reply

wuah…I want!! :9

2. Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) March 15, 2012 at 8:06 am Reply

Love the presentation but shame the taste/texture was a bit hit-and-miss. I think for those prices, mostly, table service should be offered and that presentation, if in verines, should at least be glass.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:28 am Reply

You’re spot on Rita! That’s so true…they charge a price where we should have table service but we don’t then…and the worse is the desserts were a little over-rated :( still getting over the banana crepe lol

3. Kankana March 15, 2012 at 8:41 am Reply

I like those whisks hanging up! So creative and neat :)

4. princeproductions March 15, 2012 at 8:56 am Reply

Yum yum yum! I love the whisk chandelier too

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:33 am Reply

Thanks for dropping by my blog :) I think it’s quite creative and a cheap way to decorate a place too ~

5. Rice Bowl Tales March 15, 2012 at 11:47 am Reply

So many cakes to choose from! If it was me, I wouldn’t be able to make my mind up on which one to have:) So good to have a sister to go everywhere with. I got my daughter, we love shopping trips with lunch or afternoon tea, nice girlie time :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:34 am Reply

Hahaha so you’re in decisive when it comes to desserts? :P I usually know what I like and hahaha I leave the tough decisions to Win Win ~ Its good that you’re so close to your daughter! my mother would never in a million years go to a dessert parlour with me hehe Win Win is quite a few years older than me so she’s always taken me out :D

6. Hannah @ bake five March 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reply

Omg this is too much. I haven’t had breakfast and I’m already craving for all sorts of desserts. But then again, who needs food when there’s dessert?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:40 am Reply

Thanks Hannah :) thanks for dropping by! *HIGH FIVE* that’s so true who needs food~ i can eat cake ALL day long!

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 15, 2012 at 4:40 pm Reply

I wonder what was in that crepe filling! you’ve got me interested! And that chocolate net is very pretty but a shame there wasn’t much coffee flavour!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:41 am Reply

I know right Lorraine it’s very interesting :P maybe I should email the shop or facebook them hehe I really want to know :P yes I agree it’s a shame that it was very nice >_<

8. Cakelaw March 15, 2012 at 5:48 pm Reply

Ooh, please do keep sharing all of these lovely cakes with us!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:42 am Reply

YAY so glad you guys like my dessert rampage didn’t know if you will get bored hehe ~

9. Reem | Simply Reem March 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm Reply

Lovely Presentation!!!!
    WOW!!! so many variety of cakes too choose from… I am sure this would have made me so happy.

10. Yum yum yum! I am looking up recipes for sugar free and grain free desserts. Ugh, quite boring compared to looking at your sugar filled blog here:) I like the chocolate nest thing in the photo.
    Congratulations on your graduation:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:44 am Reply

Thanks Kim :) I’m super duper excited that Uni is over~ but then… still freaking out about working hehe so that means I get to eat MORE dessert to calm down hahaha

Ohhh why are you looking for sugar free recipes? I thought you were only intolerant to ‘grains’ ~ Doesn’t matter you can still enjoy sugar filled desserts ‘virtually’ :D

11. I-Hua Lim (@msihua) March 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm Reply

Looks so cool!!!! Loving this series :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 4:45 am Reply

YAY i was worried that you guys would get so ‘bored’ of seeing cake after cake after cake on my blog hehe :D

12. Christie @ Fig & Cherry March 16, 2012 at 9:05 am Reply

That lemon tart looks gorgeous!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm Reply

I agree Christie :) they’ve presented everything nicely but it was more of a strawberry tart than a lemon tart hehe ~

13. beti March 16, 2012 at 9:18 am Reply

wow those desserts are really a piece of art

14. Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 1:17 pm Reply

They really spend a lot of time and effort in HK to make sure everything is presented really nicely hehe ~

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 16, 2012 at 3:20 pm Reply

Very pretty presentation. I enjoyed looking at how they decorated each – like tiramisu. Wow. I guess the flavor wasn’t always perfect. What was inside the crepe? It’s hard to find a perfect place, isn’t it? :-) Keep on testing. Haha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:11 am Reply

I have no idea what’s inside the crepe I still haven’t found out :) I’ve gotta

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:12 am Reply

Call and ask them :P But i guess you’re right…we can’t expect everything to be perfect all the time ~ Will definitely keep trying hehe ~

16. Choc Chip Uru March 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm Reply

I should block your blog or something because it is quite mean to my stomach, making it rumble all the time :P
    Wow this post was I mean looked do delicious :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:13 am Reply

Sorry to make your stomach rumble :P but that’s kind of my mission hehe ~ glad you’ve enjoyed reading my posts ~

17. Faith March 17, 2012 at 1:25 am Reply

What a great place, I love that chandelier of whisks! I really adore mousse-type desserts so I think I’d enjoy a lot of what they offer here. And that tart is so cute with the sauce to pour on top!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:14 am Reply

This is the perfect place for you then Faith :) i’m not really into mousse like desserts hehe ~ but will never say no to anything with sugar in it hahaha the tart was nice but I would have liked a tart that was a little more sour hehe

18. Hannah March 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm Reply

Love that chocolate decoration on the Tiramisu cup! I just love desserts in cups, I think :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:15 am Reply

Hahhaa really? I thought the cups were good but i didn’t like how it was all plastic and it was all self serve hehe

19. libishski March 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm Reply

The mini tiramisu looks amazing! Such a shame it didn’t taste as good as it looked :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:16 am Reply

I know sigh but I guess it’s hard to find at tiramisu in HK :P lol they have all weird desserts and call it tiramisu ~

20. winstonthehungryexcavator March 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm Reply

Lol you must be in heaven for attending one dessert rampage after another. No one deserves it more than a true dessert lover like you lol!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:16 am Reply

I’ve totally been in Heaven WOO HOO ~ yum yum so happy :P but seriously need to exercise hehe thanks i’m so glad you think I deserve all these desserts hehe makes it less guilty ~

21. Flick Your Food March 18, 2012 at 10:17 am Reply

ohhh I love the top decoration on the Tiramisu. I am a big tiramisu fan – disappointed it didnt have any coffee flavour- but the presentation was fantastic

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:17 am Reply

I was totally disappointed too ~ sighh it’s so hard to find a normal and decent tiramisu they always make weird desserts and attempt to claim that it’s a tiramisu :P