Must Go – Shi Lin Night Market

Thank you everyone for the kind comments :) I’m still coughing and have sort of lost my voice >_< but I feel fine, I think I just need some time to get over this annoying cough ~

Anyhow, getting on with today’s post, have you noticed night markets are an Asian thing? :) I was just sitting here thinking about it and…I have never really heard of night markets in Western countries, certainly not in Australia. That’s why I wanted to share with everyone one of the most famous night markets in Taipei ‘Shi Lin Night Market’ (士林夜市).

It is conveniently located in the CBD of Taipei and they have a MRT Jiantan Station (劍潭) there which makes it extremely easy for tourists to get to :)

Shi Lin Night Market

I always have to go to Shi Lin Night Market when I go to Taipei, simply because they have all the things I want ~ especially the FOOD :D Taiwan is known for their street food, one of the most iconic Taiwanese creations to me would be their ‘Pearl Milk Tea’ and their ‘Oyster omelette’. But there’s definitely lots more to it than these :) that’s why I wanted to take you around Shi Lin Night Market with me :) I may not be able to provide the full location and name of the store, as they constantly change, however, I promise you will be able to find these street snacks when you go to Shi Lin Night Market ~

First stop – Toffee Strawberries (冰糖葫蘆)

Toffee Strawberries

Have you seen these before? These originate from Beijing and are a kids favourite :) they’re basically the Asian version of a ‘toffee apple’, but instead they use strawberries, tomatoes and plums ~ and because they use smaller fruits it’s much easier to eat than a toffee apple.

Only $40TWD ($1.3AUD) each

For only $40 TWD you can get yourself a toffee strawberry skewer ~ The sugar syrup really hard so it’s extra crunchy when you put it into your mouth :)

Eat immediately :)

I love these so much that I once ate 4 in a row! Then asked the lady to wrap another 6 for me to takeaway so I could have it on the plane. Unfortunately, that plan didn’t work out :( because the sugar syrup actually melts and becomes a big sticky mess. So I highly recommend you eating it as soon as you get it ~ There’s quite a few stalls selling these so you’ll have no trouble finding them ;)

Second Stop – Honey Sausage

'Big Flower Sausage'

There’s a few stalls that sell similar sausages but I find ‘大花香腸‘ the literal translation is ‘Big Flower Sausage’ is the best :) they have a wide variety of sausages, you can have it plain, with wasabi, garlic or chillies :) but knowing me hahaha I obviously wanted a sweet sausage so I got the sausage with honey ~

Reheated in front of you ~

The sausages are pre-made, but they are reheated when you order and they will customise it according to the flavour you’ve chosen :)

Cutting it open to put some honey in :)

It’s a pork sausage and the nice lady will make cut the sausage and then squeeze honey into the slits and recook it on the grill ~ It’s the perfect mix of sweet and savoury. By the way, the white sausages you see and ‘rice’ sausages, so there’s no meat in there ~ I’ve never tried, but I bet it’s just as tasty.

Third Stop – Sticky Tofu (臭豆腐)

Sticky Tofu $50TWD($1.6AUD)

Sorry guys, I was too busy eating and forgot to take a picture up close of the Stinky Tofu, it’s basically fermented tofu that ‘stinks’ lol and then they fry it :) but I need to warn you, it’s one of those things that you either ‘love’ or ‘hate’ like durian ~

Fourth Stop – Braised Food (滷味)

Yummy braised goodies ~ Bought by weight

I find it a little hard to explain ‘Lu Wei’ (滷味), its a form of braising meat, tofu, eggs and other goodies in a special type of sauce which is similar to ‘soy sauce’. As the ingredients are braised in the sauce for a  long period of time, it’s got a strong flavour to it ~ I’m sorry if I didn’t do very well in explaining the taste! You usually purchase the amount according to the weight, for those who don’t understand English, I would suggest you telling the store owner you would like ‘$50 TWD worth of something’. It’s usually enough for two people to try :)

Fifth Stop: Taiwanese Tea Stall

All different types of Taiwanese tea~ $200TWD ($6.4AUD) per pack contains 20 tea bags

After eating so much food, it’s always nice to have some tea to help with digestion. Taiwan is also known for their teas ~ You can easily find stalls selling them and can also purchase a cup of hot or cold tea on the at the stall. The common flavours are – Ginger, Burdock root, Rose and Ginseng.

My fave Ginger Tea $40TWD($1.3AUD) per cup

My favourite would have to be ginger tea with muscovado sugar :) It’s really good for warming the body and clearing nasal congestions ~ Perfect for me right now. It’s extremely easy to make, you just need to put the tea bag into a cup and pour hot water over it, stir and you’ve got yourself a hot cup of ginger tea YAY!

Last stop tonight: Cheesecake Stall

New Stall ~

This is a new stall I found on my trip this time :) It was on the corner near a convenient store ~ I was immediately attracted to them because of the large sign ~

Classic Cheesecake $170TWD ($5.4AUD)

I thought it was a pretty good deal for $170TWD ($5.6AUD) you get a mini 3 inch cheesecake all to yourself :) It had a very soft texture but had a strong cheese flavour. Yum yum definitely getting some more next time.

Hope you have enjoyed this ‘virtual’ tour with me around Shi Lin Night Market as much as I have :D Please let me know if you need help with translations or getting to the night market ~

Shi Lin Night Market (士林夜市)
Danan Rd., Wenin Rd., & Jihe Rd.
Shi Lin District
台北市士林區基河路101號

Tagged: , , , , , ,

49 thoughts on “Must Go – Shi Lin Night Market

1. Asmita March 7, 2012 at 5:08 am Reply

Wow, I would love to visit soon. Love all the street food especially the strawberries look amazing!

2. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals March 7, 2012 at 6:18 am Reply

OMG Daisy thank you so much for the post! I’ve not had the urge to visit Taiwan since we moved here, but after seeing all the street foods, I can not wait to bring my husband and little girl there just to EAT! The stinky tofu is going to turn them off but I wouldn’t give a care! The Toffee plum is something my Mom forbid us to get when we lives at Taiwan, so you know I will be having a lot of them when we do go back to Asia, hahah!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 7, 2012 at 7:29 am Reply

You’re very welcome Jeno ;) I’m so glad you enjoy reading these posts! You really need to take your husband and little girl to Taiwan ~ I’m sure they’ll have soooo much fun and clothes and cosmetics are cheap there too hehe

This time you can go and eat everything you want without your mum ‘forbidding’ you ;) Let me know when you go ~ have so many other places that I can recommend!

3. Pasta Princess March 7, 2012 at 6:23 am Reply

Great post! I love learning about new foods and experiences – the honey sausage sounds good as do the other things … except, well I think I would pass on the stinky tofu! lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 7, 2012 at 7:30 am Reply

Thank you :) The sausages are lovely! Yeah maybe…the stinky tofu isn’t for everyone hehe ~

4. Norma Chang March 7, 2012 at 6:51 am Reply

Never cared for toffee apple because of the size but would definitely try the toffee strawberries. Me too, would pass on the stinky tofu. Never cared for durian.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 7, 2012 at 7:31 am Reply

Then you’ve gotta try the toffee strawberries because their much easier to eat :) I understand stinky tofu isn’t something everyone would like ~ I don’t durian but somehow I like other weird foods like vegemite :D

5. Glamorous Glutton March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am Reply

I love the night markets but for some reason when I’ve been in taiwan I din’t visit any. I obviously needed a local guide. This is a wonderful trip through the market and an explanation of all the exciting food. I love the toffee strawberries. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 7, 2012 at 7:31 am Reply

That’s a shame you didn’t go to the night markets in Taiwan ~ they’re very famous. I’m glad you enjoyed my ‘virtual’ tour :) Let me know when you go next time so I can help you plan and give you some pointers on where to go :D

6. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed March 7, 2012 at 9:44 am Reply

wow, great post! loved this virtual tour. I have never been to Taiwan. It does remind me of other night markets, like in Bangkok and rural Thailand where we’ve been a bit. But it would be so cool to see this in person! Love these posts.
    Heidi xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm Reply

Thanks Heidi :) Glad you liked the virtual tour hehe I wasn’t sure if it was going to get a little confusnig ~ I didn’t get the chance to visit the night markets in Bangkok I was there last time, but i bet they have lots of great street food :) Where are you going for your honeymoon? I’m so excited for you!

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 7, 2012 at 10:23 am Reply

I really must get to Taiwan one day. I’ve never been there and my friends tell me how great it is and this post has cemented it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm Reply

You have to make a trip Lorraine :) It’s so close to HK ~ So you can go to two places hehe I’m going again soon! Hopefully will be able to share more posts with you and everyone else!

8. beti March 7, 2012 at 12:53 pm Reply

ummm that’s like paradise to me, I love sausage and I would go crazy if I visit this market, great choice!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 8, 2012 at 3:16 am Reply

Me too Beti!!! Even though people keep telling me sausages are processed meat and we shouldn’t eat much of it :P But it’s so hard to resist all the great food here!

9. Hotly Spiced March 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm Reply

Hi Daisy, I do hope you are over that cough. You are quite right, being a Westerner I have never been to a night market. This market looks like a great night out and a fun place to explore.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 8, 2012 at 3:18 am Reply

Hello Charlie :) Hope you’ve had time to rest too~ I’m still coughing went to another doctor today sighhh I know we don’t get any night markets here >_< do make a trip to Asia some time so you can experience the night markets it's great ~

10. April March 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm Reply

Night food markets are so much fun. There’s always an abundance of food to try and buy… the problem is you can’t fit everything in! I love the Taiwanese red sausage!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 8, 2012 at 3:19 am Reply

I know April and I always overeat because I’ll always eat dinner then we go to the night market hahaha so basically i’m eating two massive meals back to back :P my favourite would have to be the toffee strawberries hehe

11. C&C Cakery March 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm Reply

Oh. My. Gosh. Toffee Strawberries. We always get them when we visit our local Asian night market – it’s like eating heaven. Sugary sugary heaven. I seriously thought they were just a local treat – I’m glad that they can be found around the world :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 8, 2012 at 3:20 am Reply

Oh wow you get them in Vancouver!!!! I’ve only seen them in China and Taiwan it’s amazing that your local night market have them too ~ and which night market do you go to? I’m really interested ~

12. mrbaobao March 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm Reply

Where’s my cheese melted potatoes and also “Ho Tai Tai supersized chicken fillets”?? Good post, I think the Taiwanese hawkers should thank you for giving their food such great translations:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 8, 2012 at 3:21 am Reply

Hey stranger :) always a pleasure to see you drop by LOL Sorry can’t bring you back any food :P I’m glad you think it’s a good post I had so much trouble translating and explaining the food hehe ~

13. penny aka jeroxie March 8, 2012 at 9:22 am Reply

I want to go! If not this year, it will be next. :)

14. gourmetgetaway March 8, 2012 at 9:59 am Reply

I would have to have tried all those delicious looking snacks. What a great idea making toffee strawberries, so much more practical than an apple! I am definitely going to steal this idea!

I love all your night images at the start of the story, they really set the scene perfectly.

I will have to visit too.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 6:35 am Reply

I know :)it’s a great idea isn’t it~ so much easier to eat and I think there’s ‘less’ guilt because they’re smaller hahhaa

Thank you ~ I need to credit my sister Win Win she took most of the photos hehe ~

Definitely make a trip and let me know so i can give u some hints and tips :D

15. Rice Bowl Tales March 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm Reply

I love night markets, they’re always so lively and vibrant, and plenty to see and eat!! You’ve done such a great job showing us round the Shi Lin night market. Oh I’m a huge fan of pearl milk tea too, I love the sausages and 滷味, used to like the stinky tufu when I was younger, but don’t know if I would eat them again now haha :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 6:37 am Reply

Hello Jane :) I love night markets too~ But unfortunately the night markets in HK aren’t as good as they use to be :( Like ladies market…so I much prefer going to the ones in Taiwan ~

I’m really glad you liked this virtual tour hehe I like all the street food and can’t wait to share with everyone my 滷味 recipe it’s SO easy hahaha

I know what you mean about the stinky tofu :P it’s SO bad for you I don’t really think it’s worth eating ~

16. Baker Street March 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm Reply

It surely is a must go destination. Thanks for sharing.

17. Choc Chip Uru March 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm Reply

This looks like a heck of a foodie dream place – those strawberries in syrup – oh my god… :D

Happy Holi :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 6:40 am Reply

Definitely a foodie’s dream very accurate description :D Thanks Choc Chip Uru!

18. Vanessa Kimbell March 8, 2012 at 11:32 pm Reply

I read your comment about wanting to go to portobello Road .. but OMG this is amazing !! !

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 6:44 am Reply

Hello Vanessa :) thanks for dropping by ~ I know but it’s so different from Portobello!

19. Faith March 9, 2012 at 4:51 am Reply

Love this post — it’s really full of delicious foods! Every time I visit your blog I learn something new…I had never heard of toffee strawberries before but now I’m dying to try them!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 6:45 am Reply

Thanks Faith :) I’m so glad you learn something because I learn so much from your blog too~ I realised I know NOTHING about Middle Eastern food. Do try and let me know how you go!

20. Agnes March 9, 2012 at 9:45 am Reply

Awesome post! You’ve made me want to try everything :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:53 pm Reply

WOO HOO i have succeeded :) Hope you get to the Shi Lin nigh market soon ~

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm Reply

Oh I’ve been here! I love night markets in Taiwan! Japan might be the only Asian country where we don’t have night market…. we have summer festival etc, but not regular market at night.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:55 pm Reply

But you’re summer festivals have lots of food too :) I’d love to go to one~ I thought there was a night market in Osaka? Or maybe it was just a street with lots of street food trucks hehe ~ the night markets are probably the best I’ve been to so far :D but then and again I think I’m a little biased hehe

22. kellysiew March 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm Reply

Gosh I really want to go to taiwan!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm Reply

You should go :) it’s pretty close to Malaysia too hehe ~ You and Frank will love it!

23. liannelow March 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm Reply

One of my favourite food adventures is Taiwan! (: NIghtly supper visits to Shi Lin Market just to get chilli vinegar wantons and xxlarge chicken cutlet is a must! Of course not forgetting the pearl milk tea like you said! Just thinking about it is making me wanna head back there for a food holiday!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 16, 2012 at 1:29 pm Reply

OMG Lianne oops I totally never saw this comment of yours lol until i got another comment and found urs here ~ I didn’t mean to ignore you hehe :P Can’t believe we’ve known each other for a couple of months now hehe ~

I love love love TAIWAN! I Seriously could live there and like you go to these night markets every single night!

I’m going back in December can’t wait ~

• liannelow July 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm Reply

heh it’s alright dearie! (: I know you won’t ignore me *blink eyes* haha and yes! love Taiwan! So lucky you’re going again in Dec! hehe and I’m so glad we got to know each other! x

24. Joanna July 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm Reply

Hi Daisy: Are you originlly from Taiwan?
    You introduced the Shi Lin night market so great !
    I am from Taiwan and I’ve been in Australia for one year
    but even time when Australian asked me about my country
    I really don’t know what can I share to them
    you gave me such a good idea.
    I love to visit you blog too
    also I can learn English and lots of things from you:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm Reply

Hello Joanna,
      Thank you very much for dropping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment ~
      I’m not originally from Taiwan, my parents are from Hong Kong, but I was born and raised in Melbourne.
      But I go to Taiwan so much hehhe 2 to 3 times a year and i LOVE IT! I Swear i can live and work in taiwan hehe it’s actually one of my plans to do that one day ~

I’m glad that you enjoyed this post and that you will be able to share with your Australian friends when they ask you about Taiwan and the night markets!

Have a wonderful day xox