First Blog Challenge – Lemon Scones

Hello everyone :) I’m back in HK again! I had an amazing time in Taipei and I have so many good places to share with you! But before I bombard you with Taiwan posts. I’m so excited to be sharing with everyone my first ever Blog Challenge ~

Since I started blogged a few months ago, Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker has been nothing but supportive of me and always encouraging me! So when she told me about this new challenge that her friend Caroline from Caroline Bakes, I just HAD to enter and make something. The challenge is pretty simple :) each month the girls will generate a random letter and you will then need to bake something that starts with that letter. To read more about the challenge please refer to this link.

This month it was the letter ‘L’ so I immediately thought of the amazing Lemon and Blueberry scones I had in New York City at Alice’s Tea Cup. I bought their cookbook and remember tell you guys that I’ll try to share their recipe with you sometime hehe so I thought this was the PERFECT TIME!

But then I realised I was going to have trouble replicating the fabulous scones…even though the cookbook shares 19 scone recipes it doesn’t exactly share the Lemon and Blueberry! I started freaking out…then I had another problem :( the blueberries I had at home were off…at least I think they were and I didn’t want to use them. So I’m really sorry everyone, I simply omitted the blueberries and adapted the recipe to make a lemon scone with a lemon glaze :) they’re just as nice with a subtle lemon flavour ~

My mini cake stand :)

Recipe – Lemon Scone
Adapted from: Alice Tea Cup (Haley and Lauren Fox)
Makes: 10 to 12 scones

Ingredients
3 Cups of Plain Flour
1/3 Cup of Caster Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
2 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
3/4 Teaspoon of Salt (I just used a pinch)
170 grams of Unsalted Butter, cubed
1 1/2 Tablespoon of Lemon Zest
1/4 Cup of Lemon Juice
1 1/4 Cups of Buttermilk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Lemon Glaze
1/2 Cup of Icing Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon of Milk

Method
1) Preheat the oven to 200° C or 400 °F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking soda, baking power and salt.
3) Make sure your hands are clean and dry, using your fingers tips rub the butter into the dry mixture until it is well incorporated and resembles  breadcrumbs. Add the Lemon zest and mix well.
4) Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture, and pour the Lemon Juice, Buttermilk and Vanilla Extract into the well. Combine the dry and wet ingredients until it comes together. *Important* Do not knead the dough!
5) Sprinkle plain flour on a clean surface and gently place the dough over the service and pat it softly until it forms a rectangle that is about 1 1//2 inches thick. Using a dough cutter or knife, cut dough diagonally  to create little triangles or any shape you’d like.
6) Bake scones on a baking tray covered with baking paper, for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown.
7) To make the lemon glaze, sift icing sugar into a bowl. Whisk in the Lemon Juice and Milk until it is smooth. Taste the Lemon Glaze and add more icing sugar or lemon juice according to your own personal tastes.
8) Drizzle lemon glaze over warm scones and allow to cool slightly before serving.

Ready to be baked!

Finished Product ~

I hope you like lemon scones ~ I think they’re perfect with jam and cream or honey :) because I didn’t have any jam poor me!

Thank you once again to Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker for hosting the first Alphabakes Challenge :D

Tagged: , , ,

40 thoughts on “First Blog Challenge – Lemon Scones

1. kellysiew February 25, 2012 at 6:04 am Reply

They look great! Haven’t had scones for a while. And lemon scones sounds Iike something we’d really enjoy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 6:22 am Reply

Thanks Kelly :) Its my first time making them ~ but damn I had no jam at home >_<

2. Cupcake Crazy Gem February 25, 2012 at 6:08 am Reply

Yum these look so good! I love how huge they are! and the drizzle of glaze over the top is making me lick my lips!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 6:24 am Reply

Thank you Gem :) I think the pictures make them look a little bigger than they actually are ~ but the drizzle was definitely yummy :D do give this recipe a try and let me know how you go ~

3. HK Epicurus February 25, 2012 at 6:19 am Reply

They look good and almost like Scottish scones too! Bring me some next time : D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 6:27 am Reply

Really? I don’t think I’ve had Scottish scones before hehe there are so many types~ The ones I have are usually round but the ones in NYC are triangle shaped hehe will definitely bring you some next time just let me know when hohoho :D

4. Norma Chang February 25, 2012 at 6:58 am Reply

Nice lookin scones, perfectly made and iced. Lovely photos.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:12 pm Reply

Thanks Norma :) they turned out better than I expected woo hoo!

5. Pasta Princess February 25, 2012 at 7:35 am Reply

These look delicious! I love scones and I love lemon – perfect! Thanks for sharing.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:13 pm Reply

Hello ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog ~ if you like the lemon and scone combo you’ve gotta give this recipe a shot then :)

6. Hotly Spiced February 25, 2012 at 8:28 am Reply

Looking forward to hearing of your adventures in Taipai. Your scones look lovely. I haven’t had a lemon scone before or an iced scone before. This would be good to try. Have a lovely weekend, Daisy. xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:14 pm Reply

Hope you’ve had a nice weekend too Charlie :) I’ve just been eating way too much AGAIN hahaha I think I just overeat on a daily basis hehe I don’t think it’s a common thing in Australia to ice our scones ~ I think it’s more of a US thing hehe. Do give this a try a let me know how you go ~

7. Cakelaw February 25, 2012 at 8:56 am Reply

OMG – I want! These look soooo good.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:14 pm Reply

Thanks :) i’m glad you like them! I was so worried when I found out I couldn’t make lemon and blueberry scones hehe

8. Rice Bowl Tales February 25, 2012 at 9:12 am Reply

These scones look amazing! I want one haha ~ I know it’s nice just to take part, but I hope you win! Well :D
    Yes, can’t wait to hear all about your trip in Taipei too

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm Reply

Thanks Jane :) I can’t wait to share my Taipei experiences too :D There is always so much to share with you! I’m so glad I took part in this challenge it’s been so much fun!

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm Reply

LOOOOOOVE scones. I am thinking of making one by myself too and I have never baked scones. Very tempted. But I’m a bit worried about eating the entire batch myself. It’s always hard when I bake. No one seems to help me control my appetite here. =P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm Reply

*high five* Nami! I love scones too :) You should definitely try making scones at home ~ it’s actually not that difficult, even for me I’m such an amateur hehe And i know your pain…i try to give away most of the things I bake as soon as I can so I don’t eat it all hahaha

10. mrbaobao February 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm Reply

Despite the blueberries went off I think this looks great dear!!:) Congratualations in making the challenge on time regardless a few things go wrong:) Please make me lemon scones again when you are back to Melburn:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm Reply

Hey stranger :P thanks for dropping by my blog HAHAHA
      That’s true! I was so worried that I’ll miss the cut off date so I’m glad I was able to make something starting with the letter ‘L’ hehe DEAL will make u some when I come back :D

11. Bakingaddict February 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm Reply

Thanks so much for entering these to AlphaBakes! They look AMAZING!! Especially with the glaze on top. I’ve never made my own scones but really should.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply

Thanks Ros :D I’m so glad I was able to participate in your challenge means a lot to me ~ you’ve gotta make scones sometime then! You’re so talented making these should be a breeze to you!

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 25, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reply

Ooh scones with icing on the top! How delish! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm Reply

Thanks Lorraine :) I’m so glad you guys like it! I was so worried that lemon scones might sound a little weird hehe

13. Hannah February 25, 2012 at 8:49 pm Reply

I prefer straight lemon desserts anyway :) Well done Daisy; gorgeous scones!

14. msihua February 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reply

They look freaking amazing! You rock :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2012 at 4:27 pm Reply

Thanks I-hua :) It was my first time making ‘triangle’ shaped scones ~

15. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm Reply

Great looking scones! I am making scones tomorrow for breakfast (my first time ever)!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm Reply

Hello Erin :) Thanks for coming by my blog! Ooo how exciting making scones for the first time let me know how you go! Good luck!

16. TasteHongKong February 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm Reply

Isn’t this good enough with the lemon flavor?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm Reply

Ohhh thanks for coming over my blog Taste :) I’ve been following your blog for a while ~ I was sure if lemon scones sounded a little weird or too ‘sour’ hehe glad everyone likes them ~

17. penny aka jeroxie February 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm Reply

Nice! What a good idea for a challenge… :)

18. Julie February 26, 2012 at 11:31 pm Reply

Still looks great without the blueberries :D love the triangle shape scones!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 27, 2012 at 2:37 am Reply

Glad you liked them Julie :) we don’t see many triangle shaped scones in Melbourne hehe

19. elisabeth@foodandthrift March 2, 2012 at 2:25 am Reply

Hi Daisy-just love your lemon scones, the recipe is perfect, and the way they turned out is amazing with the luscious lemon glaze drizzling down the sides. Bookmarking it to try:DDD

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2012 at 3:48 am Reply

Thanks for coming by elisabeth ;) I’m glad you like the recipe! Would love to know how the recipe worked for you! Happy Baking ~

20. Anita Menon March 3, 2012 at 12:19 am Reply

Lemon scones looks just fantastic. I haven’t tried them before; neither tasting them nor making them. They seem just a thing to have on a lazy Saturday morning ( sundays are working days in my part of the world, Bahrain)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 3, 2012 at 2:17 am Reply

Thank you Anita :) and thanks for dropping by my blog! It’s actually my first time too ~ I’ve always made plain scones hehe and like i initially said I was going to make lemon and blueberries. I was a little worried that they were going to be sour and the lemon glaze wouldn’t match :) Oh no how come you work on the weekends? You’ve gotta make some scones for yourself to enjoy during the week then ~