Second Chances – The Swiss Chalet

I like to think of myself as a forgiving person and I usually give people and restaurant second chances :) Because sometimes restaurants are actually good, just it was bad luck that one time I went ~ That’s why when Win Win suggested that we go to The Swiss Chalet again, I immediately agreed. But I remember our last visit wasn’t great and we weren’t that happy with the food, but it was such a long time ago, that neither of us remember when we visited.

The Swiss Chalet in TST

Win Win and I met up during her lunch break one day ~ I think they had just opened, because we got there at around 12:15pm and it was empty.

Decorated nicely with ornaments ~

We were immediately led to our table in the back of the restaurant, and looking around, for a few moments, I thought I was transported to a restaurant in Switzerland, because of all the authentic ornaments :) I miss Geneva been a long time since I’ve visited ~

I liked the paintings ~

I liked all the ornaments hanging on the wall, but I particularly liked the paintings they had around :) Win Win only has an hour and half, and had to rush back to Central, so we immediately studied the menu and quickly decided we’ll get a 3 course set lunch for $170HKD ($20.50AUD) plus 10% service charge and also a traditional fondue set for one.

Once we placed our orders, another waitress rushed up to our table, with a bread basket in her hand and offered us a piece of bread.

Soggy microwaved bread!

I don’t usually take pictures of the bread, but this one was horrific! It was limpy and soggy and judging from the warmth of the bread, I’m pretty sure they had just put it in the microwave. This really is unacceptable to me! Neither of us even touched the bread.

For the appetizer, we were allowed to change it to a small portion of the Raclette cheese ~ instead of deed fried mozzarella or potato gratin with chicken leg mushroom.

Hot Melted Raclette Cheese a la carte $60HKD($7.2AUD) for a taster portion

Win Win doesn’t really like raclette cheese and thinks this dish is always too ‘salty’ ~ but I really liked it, I haven’t had this dish for a long time and missed the rich and savoury taste of it :) I didn’t really like the pickle though…I think that’s more of a personal preference ~

Pan-friend Pork medallions with escargot and herb butter

Because it came with the lunch menu, I don’t have the price of this main sorry! The pan-fried pork medallions was cooked reasonably well, as personally I think it’s quite hard to pan fry pork chops, it’s so easy to overcook or undercook them. However, the medallions were SO salty! Win Win and I shared the two pieces, but neither of us could finish it. The escargots on top were flavoured with a herb butter, not bad, yet nothing too exciting. The pasta on the left was undercooked and then placed into the oven, so they weren’t really cooked properly :(

Traditional Cheese Fondue $198HKD ($24AUD) per person

At The Swiss Chalet, they had a wide range of cheese fondues like cheese with fresh mixed mushrooms and herbs or Vacherin Fribougeois with sliced garlic accompanied by sautéed beef tenderloin cubes. We were getting so confused with the different types of fondue’s, because we’re use to having the cheese fondue at Chesa and they only had the one type. So we stuck with the traditional fondue which was a mixture of cheese with dry white wine and served with bread.

The cheese fondue itself wasn’t too bad, but we couldn’t taste any white wine or kirsch. We’re not sure if they’ve put less in to accommodate HK people’s tastes, who may not like the taste of wine in their fondues. Win Win and I are used to having traditional cheese fondues with a decent amount of white wine. This was a major let down, because we really came back just to try the cheese fondue :(

Stale bread :(

To make things worse, the bread cubes used to dip into the cheese fondue was SO stale! I say it’s probably 2 to 3 days old…it was so tough and hard to chew. I really can’t accept the quality of bread here…I can understand if they don’t make their own bread…but they should at least put the effort into sourcing better quality bread and should never serve stale bread to customers!

Wild Berries baked with Vanilla Custard

The lunch menu also came with a dessert which was a wild berries baked with vanilla custard and vanilla ice-cream. It was obvious that the vanilla custard came out of a package and frozen berries were tossed in without any sugar. It was exceptionally sour. The vanilla ice-cream was nice though, and thankfully we could see the ‘little black dots’, which I assume are seeds from a vanilla pod, meaning that it was a high quality store-bought vanilla ice-cream and not ones made from vanilla essence.

Once we had finished with our meals, we were surprisingly given a little tray of petit fours.

Complimentary petit fours

But honestly, Win Win and I would’ve preferred if they didn’t give it to us, because it was basically store-bought goodies cut into miniature pieces and placed on a sliver plate. We’re pretty sure these have been lying out in the open for a while, as the pastry was getting so hard and tough. Sighhh major disappointment again :(

So even though we’re both forgiving and willing to give second chances, The Swiss Chalet was definitely not worth it. We’re definitely going back to Chesa when we need our cheese fondue fix ~

If I’m slow at responding I’m sorry, I’m still away but will be back tomorrow :)

The Swiss Chalet
 12-14 Hart Avenue,, Tsim Sha Tsui

尖沙咀赫德道12-14號地下
PH:2191 9197

Tagged: , , ,

19 thoughts on “Second Chances – The Swiss Chalet

1. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg February 24, 2012 at 6:00 am Reply

What a shame. I am not a fan of cheese fondue. I had it once in Germany and couldn’t eat it as it tasted like wine, so I had to pretend I was full.Chocolate fondue on the other hand is fine:)
    If you’re in Sydney one day you could take a trip to the Blue Mountains and visit the Swiss Cottage. It is a very nice restaurant and I don’t think I have stale bread:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 24, 2012 at 6:07 am Reply

Good morning! You’re up early :) My sister and I are addicted to cheese fondue hehe ~ But i know what you mean, not everyone can withstand the wine :) I really like Chocolate fondue too hehe ~

I’ve gotta make a trip to The Swiss Cottage then!!! Grrr can’t wait to go to Sydney again soon~ and Adelaide hehe

2. Christy February 24, 2012 at 10:12 am Reply

I totally get what you mean, sometimes you feel you may have been too quick with your judgment the first time and maybe they have changed after a few years. So you go back and give them a second chance, but then this, is really not worth it, I am with you on that.
    I am so sorry that your lunch experience was with soggy microwaved and not to mention stale, that’s enough to make me freeze this restaurant from my list for eternity!:p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 1:09 am Reply

Hello Christy :) Thanks for dropping my blog! Yes sometimes i feel like i’m too quick to judge a place but ten I give it a second chance…yet its probably worse than my first time >_< sighhh
      The worse was definitely the soggy and microwaved and STALE bread sighh doesn't matter at least anyone else who reads this post will know not to go to this place ~

3. bakingaddict February 24, 2012 at 11:19 am Reply

It’s nice that you are so forgiving but a shame that the restaurant was bad! I love Swiss food and I still remember the amazing fondues in Switzerland. Hope you find some better food soon :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 1:11 am Reply

Hey Ros :) *HIGH FiVE* i love Swiss food too and fondue is definitely my FAVOURITE hehe ~ I can’t wait to go back to Switzerland soon ~ have a great trip in the US!

4. elisabeth@foodandthrift February 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm Reply

Beautiful restaurant review…love all the photos, and the delicious dishes posted:DDD

5. Christine's Recipes February 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reply

To myself, swiss food = Ikea. Haven’t had any chance to try other than that yet. What a shame. :p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 1:13 am Reply

Hahhaha really Christine? But i think Ikea food is from Sweden~ you’ve gotta go try it out next time you’re in HK! Chesa has gotta be the best apart from the ones in Switzerland!

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm Reply

Oh no, what a shame that it didn’t impress at all! :( I would have been looking forward to the fondue too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 1:17 am Reply

Hello Lorraine :) I know it was so disappointing especially the second time around :( i really expected more than this!

7. Asmita February 25, 2012 at 1:01 am Reply

That’s sad that is was real let down. For that kind of money, the food better be worth it.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 1:17 am Reply

That’s exactly right Asmita! At least i expected fresh bread and not stale bread :(

8. elisabeth@foodandthrift February 25, 2012 at 3:09 am Reply

You certainly did a thorough job with your restaurant review. If that was me, I would have walked out of the restaurant after being served the soggy microwaved bread, and the melted cheese appetizer, which is totally a “turn off” by any culinary standard! You were brave to sit through all those courses…which none of them are appealing:((
    So sorry, that you had a bad experience, and worst, that you had to pay for it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 3:42 am Reply

Hello Elisabeth :) Thanks for visiting my blog ~ I’m glad you don’t think I’m too harsh! My sister thought I was being too harsh on the restaurant. But really soggy microwaved bread is NEVER acceptable!
      And I couldn’t agree with you more! The worse is that I have to pay :( and it wasn’t exactly cheap sighhh but I just hope others wont go and suffer like I did ~

9. Cakelaw February 25, 2012 at 8:58 am Reply

It’s a cute fitout, but I am not tempted to go there – and I will skip the bread if I do.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reply

Definitely skip this place :) the soggy bread and was ‘massive’ turn off >_<

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm Reply

This winter, maybe because it doesn’t seem like winter here, we haven’t visited a fondue restaurant yet. I really think I should buy a fondue set so we can eat at home… :-) Sorry for the disappointing experience there.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 5:37 pm Reply

Really? I thought it was always cold and snowing in the States hehe :) Please do and share your recipe! I’ve only got a Chocolate fondue set hehe