The Search Continues – Green Hotel Icon

Hello Everyone :) I’ve snuck off on a quick trip to Taiwan again with Win Win ~ I love having a sister who has to travel for work hehe I can always tag along woo hoo! This time I’m going to Taipei ~ And to make things even more exciting, I’ve got friends there that I’m meeting up with YAY! So I’m sorry if I’m slow at responding to emails, tweets, comments and Facebook ~ I’m sure there’s free wifi in the lobby, but I’m not sure if there’s going to be a time limit, I’ll try my best :D

I’m sure you remember my disappointing visit to Kisses Cupcakes. This time my search for the best cupcakes takes me to Green at the new Hotel Icon. Which is owned and funded by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University as part of their School of Hotel and Tourism Management. They use the hotel as a platform to help educate and train their students about hospitality and hotel management ~ I think it’s a fantastic idea! Once upon a time, I wanted to work in the hotel industry too but that was before I found my passion for marketing ;)

Nice, bright and spacious environment :)

Sasa and I visited a few weeks before she started work ~ we really liked the bright and spacious environment of Green which is the lobby cafe/lounge. It was so nice to have natural sunlight shining through ~ and the high ceiling which is hard to find in HK as everything is so compact.

We were a little hungry, so took a look at the menu and decided to get two tea sets, one with a savoury dish and cupcakes to share ~

Roast Beef Sandwich with Fries and mayo $108HKD($12.95AUD) +10% service charge

We actually wanted the BLT, but was given a Roast Beef Sandwich and because I was so hungry, I didn’t realise and had taken a bite, until Sasa said ‘Hold on! This isn’t a BLT’. So we told the waiter and it was taken away and replaced with a BLT ~ But I can give you a brief overview of the Roast Beef sandwich hehe, the bread was freshly toasted, the roast beef was a little too cold for my liking, but the chips were fresh and the mayo was quite yummy :)

BLT Sandwich tea set $108HKD($12.95AUD) with complimentary tea +10% service charge

Our BLT arrived at the table within a few minutes :) Once again the bread was fresh, which is always a bonus, we thought the BLT was nice, however, I would have preferred if the bacon was crispy ~ This tea set also comes with complimentary tea or coffee ~

Cupcake Cabinet $38HKD($4.6AUD) each + 10% service charge

Before getting the cupcake set which came with tea or coffee, I ducked over to their cupcake cabinet to check out their cupcakes :) they didn’t have any interesting flavours, they had the ordinaries Double chocolate, blueberry cupcake, mocha cupcake but the one that caught my eye was the ‘Green tea and chocolate’ cupcake. I’m a ‘matcha’ lover so I definitely wanted to try this ~

Cupcake Tea Set $78HKD($9.35AUD) with tea/coffee +10% service charge

Lovely green colour ~ but it was so dry!

I cut it open to show you guys ~ the cake itself had a nice green colour to it, yet in terms of texture and flavour…it really wasn’t outstanding. The cupcake itself was so ‘DRY’, this is a common issue I’ve had with most cakes in HK except the few that I’ve enjoyed. Even Sasa who’s less picky agrees that it was too dry! The buttercream on top was a major disappointment too, because I don’t really think they used any icing sugar, we could barely taste the sweetness, instead it just tasted like whipped cream that has been tinted green :(  However, I could taste the green tea in the cupcake, but not so much the chocolate…

Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcake $38HKD ($4.6AUD) +10% service charge

Disappointing buttercream :(

Sasa’s Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcake was definitely better mine ~ at least the cupcake wasn’t as dry, it wasn’t what I’d call ‘moist’ but it was more acceptable :) However, we had the same issue with the icing…it was once again yellow whipped cream and decorated with little gold balls ~ It was nice enough to eat, but maybe it needed an extra tablespoon of sugar :P

Complimentary coffee - Mocha

I forgot to take a picture of Sasa’s drink, Sorry! I had a cup of mocha which was included in my tea set ~ I think they use ‘Illy’ coffee beans, which I know some cafes in Melbourne use too. This was a decent cup of mocha, but the chocolate and coffee wasn’t really incorporated together ~ maybe not as good as some other cafes I’ve found in HK. But it was acceptable :)

Overall, another disappointing cupcake experience, once again because of the icing and the dryness of the cake :( but I would recommend going for the sandwiches and it does have a nice environment to have a relaxing afternoon with friends~

My search continues…

Green – Hotel Icon
G/F Hotel Icon, 17 Science Museum Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
尖沙咀科學館道17號唯港薈地下
PH: 34001300

Tagged: , , , , , ,

24 thoughts on “The Search Continues – Green Hotel Icon

1. Asmita February 22, 2012 at 3:51 am Reply

Wow, looks like you are having a lovely time. The photos look great especially the cupcake one.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 23, 2012 at 12:33 am Reply

Hello Asmita :) Thanks for dropping my blog ~ I’m having an amazing time and thanks I’ve never really been commented for my photos hahaha I’m really such an amateur and still trying to improve my photos! The cupcakes definitely looked nicer than they actually are :P

2. bakingaddict February 22, 2012 at 8:31 am Reply

Have fun on your travels! You seem like quite the jet-setter :) It’s a shame the cupcakes were dry – there really is nothing worse! and non sweet icing?! The lemon and poppy seed cupcake looks nice but clearly looked better than it tastes. Good luck with your ongoing search of cupcakes… I’ll try not to make you jealous with the ones I’m going to have soon in America :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 23, 2012 at 12:34 am Reply

Thanks Ros :) I try to travel as much as I can and especially before i start full time work ~ I hope I’d still be able to go on some trips when I start work! Simply LOVE travelling and exploring new cultures and FOOD too much! You’re going on an amazing trip too! Take care and have a blast! Don’t forget to update me :D

SIghhh i’m so jealous that you get to have American cupcakes soon ~ They are SIMPLY the best!

3. cat February 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm Reply

Ahhh you lucky thing!!! Shame about the cupcake tea set, they looked so good! Enjoy your next trip xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 23, 2012 at 12:35 am Reply

Thank you Cat :) I really have a thing for Taiwan hehe :) looks can be so decieving hehe ~ I hope you had fun in Brisbane too ~

4. Rice Bowl Tales February 22, 2012 at 8:27 pm Reply

You’re a real lady of leisure!! What are you doing still travelling and left Mr. Bao back in Australia all by himself haha?
    What I really want to say was, why are you not working or studying you little princess? I’m so jealous hehee … :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 23, 2012 at 12:36 am Reply

Hahaha Jane :D it might make you feel better if I tell you I recently graduated from my masters degree and i start full time work in May so i’m trying to travel and enjoy as much as I can now :) But i really hope I can still go on travel adventures even when I work hehe I’m jealous of your cooking and photography skills!!!

5. Rolling Pin Claire February 23, 2012 at 12:36 am Reply

Your photos are amazing, they really are. Disappointing experience but a lot of inspiration – how to see a recipe for perfectly moist Matcha Cupcakes on your blog soon!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 23, 2012 at 12:40 am Reply

Hello Claire :) Thank you very much! I’ve never really got any compliments for my photos! I’m such an amateaur and newbie to food photography! I’ll definitely work on making a much better matcha cupcake soon ~

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 23, 2012 at 6:18 am Reply

Sorry to hear about the bad cupcakes again…and with that price, I do expect certain quality. That green one (from the photo) doesn’t look dry or bad…but pictures could be quite deceiving. Thank you for your honest review.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 24, 2012 at 4:28 am Reply

Hello Angie :) I know looks can be so deceiving >_< I saw the pictures from another person's review and the comments were good so I had high expectations…but unfortunately… they weren't great at all. Thanks for reading!

7. beti February 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm Reply

that roast beef sandwich looks delicious and I must say that the decoration of the muffins is divine, that tea cupcake looks amazing

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 24, 2012 at 4:49 am Reply

The sandwiches were definitely better than the cupcakes :D doesn’t matter i’m sure i’ll find better ones ~

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm Reply

I wonder why they seem to have such a problem with dry cupcakes in HK? Is it the weather or the flour or what they’re using I wonder?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 24, 2012 at 5:03 am Reply

I know Lorraine :( it’s really annoying I think it’s because in HK the sponge cakes they have are usually quite dry so maybe that’s why their cupcakes are dry too ~

9. purabi naha February 23, 2012 at 6:17 pm Reply

Thanks for giving an honest review. I live in Hong Kong as well. Yes sometimes the cupcakes do taste dry. But this depends from shop to shop.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 24, 2012 at 5:03 am Reply

Hello Purabi :) Thanks for dropping by! How long have you been in HK for? ~ It’s just so disappointing when the cupcakes are so dry >_< but i haven't given up yet~

10. Hotly Spiced February 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm Reply

You are getting around. Hope you enjoy your time away. Shame about all the dry looking cupcakes.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 24, 2012 at 5:08 am Reply

Hello Charlie :) i try to go away as much as I can hehe Hope i make it to Sydney soon :P I’m gonna have to keep searching for the best cupcakes ~ I’m not gonna give up hehe

11. Cakelaw February 25, 2012 at 9:00 am Reply

That’s what I hate about so many bought cupcakes – they look pretty but taste abominable.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm Reply

Exactly! Sighhh it’s just so disappointing when they look so pretty…I think that’s a common issue in HK lol

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm Reply

Ouch. Sorry to hear another bad cupcake experience. At least you find cupcake in Taipei or HK… I may be looking at wrong places, but seriously I had never seen cupcakes in Tokyo…. they are not common at all. And I’m pretty sure they won’t taste as good as I can find here in the US… You took great photos of them though, hard to tell from the look. ;-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:00 pm Reply

Thanks Nami :) I’m still trying to learn how to take better photos and with Mr Bao back in Melb I’m on my own ~ he’s usually a better photographer than me hahhaa
      Really? I dunno why but i pictured Tokyo to have lots of cute and yummy cupcakes ~ guess I’ll just have to go back to Aus or US for great cupcakes ;)