Hidden Surprise – Gioia By Chi

I’m so excited about sharing this post with you today :D I just visited this amazing patisserie in my local area – Gioia by Chi! I don’t know how I missed it, even though I’ve been in here for the past 3 months~ And I only found out because it was recommended by Gregoire Michaud’s blog – the Four Season Head Pastry chef do check out his blog when you have time :)

My new favourite place!

But in my defence ~ it’s quite easy to miss Gioia By Chi because it’s tucked in a small street in Kowloon City and its surrounded by pet stores and mechanics…it took Win Win and me, a good 5 minutes to find it, even though we’re quite familiar with this area :) Gioia By Chi don’t have a website (I know it’s strange) only a Facebook page, so I wasn’t able to find much information about them, but Gregoire’s post mentioned that Roy Chan is the master behind the new store and that it opened last year in April ~

It was really quiet when we got there yesterday at 3pm, I immediately felt at home looking around at all the pretty cakes in the cabinet hehe

Selection of cakes ~

They don’t have a large selection of cakes or pastries, but it was enough for me, they had a couple of  ‘large’ cakes for sale and the rest were little individual pieces :) Perfect for me! I wanted to try everything ~

Lemon Tart $23HKD($2.8AUD)

We started with the Lemon Tart and I thought it was an absolute bargain because it was only $23HKD, most patisseries in HK are charging over $35 for a lemon tart. As for the taste, I really liked it, the shortbread pastry case was made well, not too crumbly. The lemon filling was a little tangy and a little sour for Win Win, while I liked it ~ Maybe not as good as the one at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon, but considering the price and the convenient location it’s probably one of the best lemon tarts you can find in Kowloon :)

Raspberry Cheesecake $38HKD($4.6AUD)

The next was the Raspberry Cheesecake, because Win Win and I love cheesecakes ~ and we were both surprised at how rich and dense this cheesecake was ;) I’m sure you’ve heard me complain before that cakes in HK are usually lighter and uses less sugar. While this wasn’t a really sweet cheesecake, for once we could actually ‘taste’ the cream cheese! Well done Gioia for taking the risk and making a rich cake :D we thought it was so good, that it was close to the Mandarin Oriental New York cheesecake, which is well-known in HK for their cheesecakes – a post about them coming soon :)

Hazelnut Chocolate $38HKD($4.6AUD)

I’m nuts about NUTS lol if you know what I mean :P One of my favourite would have to be hazelnuts, so I insisted that we try this ~ the bottom layer was a hazelnut sable, quite nice but would have been better if it had more crushed hazelnuts to give it a crunch. The middle layer was a dark chocolate ganache, yummy even though Win Win thought it was a little ‘rich’, then it was a thin layer of milk chocolate and topped with hazelnut flavoured whipped cream. Only thing I didn’t like about the cake, was the whipped cream, I find it a little unnecessary and I couldn’t really taste the ‘hazelnut’ flavour.

They also have cookies and chocolate for sale :)

Cookies in a jar $98HKD($12AUD)

Valrhona 16 truffles $328HKD($40AUD)

You can’t buy these individually, which is a bit of a pain ~ but once again I think they’re priced reasonably compared to others like La Maison Du Chocolate and Godiva :)

Oh and last but not least they sell Chocolate Pops!

Froggy Chocolate Pops $40HKD($4.8AUD)

They’re so cute! You don’t see many of them in HK and I don’t even think I’ve seen cake pops on sale here before ~

Gioia by Chi was definitely a hidden surprise for me and has immediately become my new favourite place to hang out :D, I highly recommend it to everyone in the area or those who like a ‘rich’ piece of cheesecake :D

Gioia By Chi
G/F, 35A Nam Kok Road , Kowloon City
九龍城南角道35號A地下
PH:2718 6618

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Hidden Surprise – Gioia By Chi

1. bakingaddict February 20, 2012 at 9:13 am Reply

wow everything looks amazing. A hidden surprise indeed!! I love a good lemon tart and those frog pops are so cute!! So glad you found some good cake. I had a pretty good cake day too :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 21, 2012 at 1:59 am Reply

It was indeed very nice :) I know the frogs are so cute ~ I’m so glad I found a good patisserie near me :D I was getting so sick of all the other cake shops, they just weren’t for me ~

2. Norma Chang February 20, 2012 at 9:48 am Reply

See you had a really good cake day. Love those cute pops.

3. Hotly Spiced February 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm Reply

What a great little find. I just love those little frogs! How cute are they. And the cakes are just so perfect looking. I bet you’ll be going back there again!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 21, 2012 at 2:01 am Reply

I know Charlie :D I’m so so so happy hehe I’m going back next week :P need to look after my waist ~ hahaha it’s expanding at an uncontrollable speed!

4. Hannah February 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm Reply

Oooh! Cheesecakes and lemon tarts are two of my favourite desserts! Yay!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 21, 2012 at 2:02 am Reply

*High Five* Hannah! It’s my favourite too but I always like a good hazelnut chocolate cake :D

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm Reply

I would have gone for the chocolate hazelnut too! And those cake pops are really cute-but how do they keep the ears on without them getting knocked off? Mysterious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 21, 2012 at 2:03 am Reply

I know :) it’s amazing how the froggies are so cute ~ I might try one next time hehe i’m just worried that they look better than their taste :P

6. theblackpeppercorn February 21, 2012 at 5:39 am Reply

oh wow – not sure what I would want more. That lemon tart or that cheesecake??? hmmmm – how about both!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 21, 2012 at 5:52 am Reply

Hahaha i agree just get both :P i wanna try the rest next time I go hehe ~

7. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 21, 2012 at 9:22 am Reply

My kids love froggy (please don’t ask me why…) and they will be thrilled to see cake pop (chocolate pop?) like that! I love pastry shops in Asia more influence from Europe and a little more sophisticated than just plain sweet, you know. It’s nice this is in your neighborhood!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:20 pm Reply

Sorry for the late reply Nami :) I didn’t see your comment ~ I know exactly what you mean by patisseries that are more European influenced no offence to others but I just don’t really like the traditional ‘sponge and mousse’ cakes shops here offer hehe I think I’m gonna go back tomorrow to get a piece of cake :P

8. Rice Bowl Tales February 21, 2012 at 10:28 am Reply

Can’t believe there’s such a lovely patisserie hidden in Kowloon City! If I walk in there, I’ll definitely buy the lemon tart, and the cheese cake :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm Reply

Sorry Jane I just saw this comment :) I know it’s a surprise to find such a great place in Kowloon City hehe I think the areas transformed lately ~ you’ve gotta pay this patisserie a visit when you come back to HK ;)

9. mrbaobao February 21, 2012 at 2:27 pm Reply

Hey dear, I think with the last “froggy pop”, they are trying to make the froggy prince story alive:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:38 pm Reply

I never thought about them replicating the froggy prince story but that’s a good point ;)

10. Nic@diningwithastud February 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm Reply

I should never read posts like this around 3pm haha. Now all I was are sweets!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 25, 2012 at 11:38 pm Reply

Hahahaha I know what you mean Nic I’m reading these kinda posts 24/7 it makes me just want to have desserts all day :P