Coward’s Split – Serendipity 3

Before your eyes widen, please let me explain why I have called this post ‘Coward’s Split’ :) it’s actually a play on words, of the banana split they have at Serendipity 3 in New York City. I’ll explain in more detail in a sec ~ Still following Faith‘s recommendations, we decided to have dinner at Serendipity 3 to try their famous ‘Frozzen Hot Chocolate’, Faith had already warned me the savoury food were ‘mediocre’ and I completely agree with her. You can read her review here ~

It was a Tuesday night and I’d previously called to make a reservation but was told we can only walk in, we got there at around 7pm and was told there was a 45 minute wait :( We really wanted to try the desserts, so we walked around the block and spent some time at the Dylan’s Candy Bar around the corner :) For those who don’t know Dylan’s Candy Bar is a chain of candy store based in New York. For someone like me, it was basically HEAVEN!

Source: Sephora

After buying a mountain of lollies, we went back to Serendipity 3 waited for another 20 minutes before we got our table ~ sigh I usually hate waiting but for good desserts I’m willing to do anything :P

Casual environment

It’s no wonder we had to wait so long, because it is a relatively small store with only a handful large tables that would sit 4 to 6 people and another dozen of small tables for 2 to 4 people. By the time we sat down, we were all pretty cold and hungry :) so without even looking at the menu, we ordered two Frozzen Hot Chocolates :D

Frozzen Hot Chocolate $8.95USD

At first I didn’t quite understand why it was called a ‘Frozen Hot Chocolate’ and not simply an ‘Ice Chocolate’, but after tasting it, I  finally get it :) It’s not just cold milk, crushed ice and chocolate syrup…it’s made just like a hot chocolate where the cocoa powder and milk is thoroughly mixed and topped with freshly whipped cream to create a rich and delicious Frozen Hot Chocolate ~ So I recommend sharing with someone if you want to have more food, because it can be quite filling. They actually sell the cocoa used to make the drink in packets but because I already had a lot of luggage I didn’t get it >_< but check out this video, this guy attempts to make the Frozen Hot Chocolate at home ~

Now to the savoury food, after studying the menu, Mr Bao, Mary, Kevin and I all agreed that the food offered were very typical all American diner type food.

Serendipitous Chef's Salad $16.50USD

We started off with a salad, I’m sorry but I’m not sure if this was called Serendipitous Chef’s Salad or Chicken Julia salad ($16USD), but it was basically a bed of greens, tomatoes, avocados and cucumbers topped with boiled chicken pieces and crushed almonds. It didn’t have much of a dressing so it was a little dry and the chicken was a little overcooked and kind of tasteless.

Hot Springs Wings $9.50USD

These hot spring wings AKA buffalo wings were nicely marinated with a good sauce, but unfortunately it was a little cold when it got to our table and the celery sticks had started to turn a brownish colour, suggesting that it has been left out for a long time.

Spiced Chicken Flambé $23.00USD

We weren’t sure what to expect, it turned out to be a half fried and half-baked piece of chicken breath covered in a brand Madeira cream sauce which was a little too thick. Once again we had an issue with the chicken where it was overcooked and very bland…Mr Bao kept reaching for the salt and pepper :(

Lemon Chicken $17.5USD

This was probably the worse dish…the chicken was basically the same as before, but this time it was covered in a super sour lemon dressing, it was so sour that I could barely eat it. But thankfully Kevin was able to withstand the sourness and ate a large proportion of the dish :)

Seafood Fettucine $18.50USD

Mary’s seafood fettucine was probably the best with the basil cream sauce and a few pieces of seafood such as prawns and mussels tossed through the pasta. We all liked this dish :) Good choice Mary!

Eastside Western Omelette $12.5USD

I don’t know why…but I really liked the name of the omelette Eastside Western so insisted on ordering it…turned out to be an unexciting overcooked omelette with tomatoes, cheese, onions and peppers and ham.

So that was all the savoury food we ordered…I think ‘mediocre’ really is the best word to describe it, most of the food was either overcooked or tasteless :(

Now back to the ‘Coward’s Split’, even though the mains weren’t that appetising, my dear friends and boyfriend were so full that they wanted to ‘SKIP’ dessert and said the ‘Frozen Hot Chocolate’ was their dessert. I insisted! Because it’s  just wrong! How can you ever ‘skip’ dessert :P To me it’s always desserts first! That’s when I noticed on the menu they had the Outrageous Banana Split $22.50 and the Coward’s Portion.

Coward's Portion Banana Split $13.5USD

For once I admit I am a coward hahaha because even I can’t imagine eating the full size banana split myself. The coward’s size already had 3 large scopes of ice-cream – chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, a large banana cut in half, hot chocolate pecan sauce and topped with lots of whipped cream and glace cherries :) I don’t remember having so much ice-cream in such a long time and because of the chocolate pecan sauce, I have realised I actually like pecans~

I definitely recommend you going to Serendipity 3 for desserts or drinks, but not for their main dishes :)

And this will be my last New York post for a little while…I hope you’ve enjoyed these posts :D I’ve definitely enjoyed writing them but think it’s time to write about the other places I’ve recently visited~

Thank you everyone for reading and always supporting me!
Serendipity 3 on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , ,

26 thoughts on “Coward’s Split – Serendipity 3

1. Norma Chang February 11, 2012 at 5:54 am Reply

Sounds like you are enjoying your visit to NYC and having a grand time. Too bad about the savory dishes at Serendipity3 but you were warned and did not have high expectations. Glad the desserts lived up to your expectations.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 11, 2012 at 10:53 pm Reply

Hello Norma :) i definitely enjoyed my trip ~ But i’m back in Hong Kong now ~ that’s so true, i’m glad I was warned before hand but the desserts were fantastic ~

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 11, 2012 at 10:43 am Reply

I remember seeing it on Oprah! And good advice on avoiding the savouries and I agree, you should never skip dessert :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 11, 2012 at 10:54 pm Reply

I’m glad you agree with me Lorraine :) Love love love desserts ~

3. msihua February 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm Reply

Loved the play of name there… Those portions are super big!!!! And I want to share the Frozen Hot Chocolate with someone too :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 11, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reply

Yay you like the play of name :) The portions were HUGE ~ But having said that hehe I could probably have the full size sundae myself if I wasn’t so worried about my ever expanding waist hehe :P

4. Glamorous Glutton February 12, 2012 at 2:50 am Reply

That Coward Split looks amazing. I love the idea of re-creating that Frozzen Hot Chocolate at home. I might even take a look at the How To Clone cook book. Good hot chocolate is such a luxury it would be great to have a summer version. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 12:33 am Reply

Hello GG :) I agree a good hot chocolate is hard to find and such a luxury! The ones at Koko Black in Melbourne which I really like is like $7.95 so expensive >_< Let me know if you check out the book and if it's any good ~

5. bakingaddict February 12, 2012 at 5:49 am Reply

Definitely NEVER skip dessert! Dessert is a separate stomach :) Love the frozen hot chocolate and banana split. I remember going to Dylans candy store and spending quite a lot (time and money!) there.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 12:34 am Reply

I can totally SKIP mains and just have desserts as the MAIN :D whenever I’m out with friends I’m always giving them my main and then saving up to have their share of the dessert ;) I’m so evil!
      Dylan’s Candy Bar is crazy I could probably live there! Wish I had more time to shop some more :P

6. Jen at The Three Little Piglets February 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm Reply

I’ve always wanted to go there! Well, always since I saw it in One Fine Day with George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 2:37 am Reply

I’m sorry I don’t know how or why but your comment ended in my spam box :( My apologies for not replying! Definitely go check out Serendipity 3 when you can ~ stay away from the savoury food :D

7. penny aka jeroxie February 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm Reply

I still need to finish my NYC posts. You have done well

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 12:37 am Reply

I know how you feel Penny! I haven’t finished still have so many posts but I’ve got more posts on HK in backlog >_<

8. Cakelaw February 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm Reply

I don’t think I could handle the Coward’s Split myself either -it’s huge!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 12:39 am Reply

I know it’s massive 3 scoops! But I could probably do it hahaha :P

9. Hannah February 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm Reply

Oh my gosh, I totally have a packet of the frrozen hot chocolate mix stashed away somewhere!! I hope it hasn’y gone off :S

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 12:45 am Reply

Really? You’ve gotta make it Hannah! And write a post about it :) I’d love to see if it works at home ~

10. Rice Bowl Tales February 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm Reply

I think I’m going to try making the frozen hot chocolate, it sounds so good for a winter night in front of the fire, it will be a total bliss! Thanks for giving me the idea ;p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 12:46 am Reply

You’re welcome! Please try it Jane and let me know if it works :) Hahhaa I know what you mean :P i love eating ice-cream when it’s really cold :P

11. Hotly Spiced February 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm Reply

Such a shame the food was so ordinary after all that waiting around. But the frozen hot chocolate is definitely intriguing and I would love one of those banana splits, but I would probably only be able to manage a ‘cowards’ portion too! And thanks for your comments re my banana split birthday cake. A few people have asked for the recipe so I’m hoping to post it this week.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 1:00 am Reply

The food really wasn’t worth it :( But thank gosh Faith had already warned me :) The frozen hot chocolate is like nothing I’ve had before, definitely try it out if you get the chance to ~ and let me know how you go!

12. Flick Your Food February 13, 2012 at 12:16 am Reply

Im glad the dessert was worth the wait! I love the idea of the big portion espec after those savories

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 1:01 am Reply

The desserts were definitely worth the wait, but the mains weren’t so give that a skip :) The big portions are great for people like me who have a HUGE sweet tooth, but then it’s nice that they have smaller portions cuz then we’re still able to order dessert when my friends don’t want dessert ~

13. Faith February 13, 2012 at 2:28 am Reply

I don’t like their meals much, but I could definitely go for a frrrozen hot chocolate again! Too bad it’s always so crowded, it’s a real deterrent for me (just doesn’t seem worth the hassle). I think I’ll try to have the best of both worlds and make the frozen hot chocolate at home, lol! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 2:32 am Reply

Hahaha I agree :) so please try it out and when you succeed you HAVE to let me know cuz I wont be going back to New York anytime soon :(