Being Blair – The Plaza Hotel

I’m sure all Gossip Girl fans will immediately know ‘Blair Waldorf’ :) I’m an avid fan ~ Love the show, even though some of the story lines can be a little ridiculous but to be honest…I kinda insisted on going to New York because I wanted the Gossip Girl experience :) Shopping on 5th Avenue, macarons from Laduree and afternoon tea at The Plaza Hotel ~

Source: Trip Advisor

For those who haven’t heard of The Plaza Hotel, it’s basically the most extravagant and luxurious hotels you can find and is of course a landmark of New York City :) If you guys remember my post about the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong , The Plaza is basically the New York version ~ as soon as I walked in my New York partner in crime Mary and I noticed the shocking resemblances to The Peninsula. Mr Bao even said it ‘smelt’ the same way hahaha now I’m not sure about that.

Mary and I are ‘afternoon tea’ fanatics lol we LOVE having the 3 tiers, the scones, sandwiches and cakes :) Neither of us eat a lot so we like the idea of everything being so petite and of course the GOSSIP ~ So once again thanks to Faith for suggesting The Plaza Hotel :D After some (ok quite a LOT) of shopping on 5th Avenue, we made our way to The Palm Court  and be ‘Blair’ for the afternoon ~ I tried to convince Mr Bao that he was ‘Chuck’…he just rolled his eyes and told me he was ‘hungry’ :P

So elegant ~

It was such an elegant place, with classical music playing in the background and everything was neatly placed on the table ~ They serve afternoon tea from 2pm to 5pm and have a recommended Business Casual dress code, we didn’t know and rocked up in jeans and t-shirt and they didn’t seem to mind :) We got there at around 4pm and expected it to be quite quiet being a Tuesday afternoon…but nope we had to wait…even though there were empty tables…they wouldn’t give it to us. All three of us were exhausted, cold and STARVING lol especially poor Mary who hadn’t had breakfast! Not a good habit, you should always have breakfast ~

After a good 30 minute wait, we finally got  a table and were immediately handed a menu ~

That's when I noticed...

I was so excited about choosing my tea set and just as I was about to open the menu, I noticed the fork on the left hand side was so dirty with food still stuck in between the tines! It was so revolting! I immediately waved to the waiter and told him, without even apologising to me, he simply said ‘Thank you Maam’ and walked away to get me another fork. I then looked at Mr Bao’s fork and that was ALSO dirty! Once again NO apology! I was so upset, because I expected more from The Plaza…

The New Yorker $50USD

After I calmed down, we placed our orders. Mr Bao chose The New Yorker which had a selection of ‘New York’ flavoured savoury sandwiches such as roast beef and horseradish on the bottom tier, scones in the middle and a selection sweets on the top. Mr Bao didn’t seem to like the savoury food, he said the bread and stale and the roast beef was so bland. I tried the smoked salmon, endive and agree it wasn’t very appealing. Both our sets had scones and compared to the epic scones I had at Alice Tea Cup, these weren’t really up to standard, a little too dry and hard.

The New Yorker - Dessert Tier

Mr Bao didn’t really eat much of the desserts ~ YAY for us! But nope another disappointment…. the canoli was soggy, the mini cupcake was tasteless and the black and white cookies were alright. We did enjoy the mini lemon tart on the left but still weren’t impressed.

The Classic $50USD

Mary and I both got The Classic tea set because if you wanted to share a set you have to pay an extra $20USD, so we figured it wasn’t worth us sharing. It was more the typical set with sandwiches at the bottom, scones in the middle and petite fours on the top layer.

Dry and stale bread...

The sandwiches were so dry and stale… it is quite obvious that they had been pre-made and left out for a long time, but I did like the Truffled Quail Egg tart, the one hiding behind the cucumber sandwich as it was quite tasty ~

The Classic - Dessert Layer

We think the desserts were a bit better for The Classic tea set, macarons were a little sticky but not bad, madelienes were a little bland, sacher torte was nice with a apricot flavour through it and the best would have to be the hazelnut napoleon which had a good crunch and flavour to it :) Then the jelly looking lolly was a little weird and I didn’t like the texture, but Mr Bao loves jelly and thought it was nice ~

Complimentary Tea

All tea sets come with complimentary tea, we’re not big tea drinkers so we can’t really comment but it was nice when they topped our tea pots with hot water which gave us the chance to gossip more and weren’t pressured to leave.

Even though I loved the experience of being Blair for a day…I didn’t really like my experience at The Palm Court… think it’s overrated and I’m sure you’ll be able to find better places for afternoon tea in NYC ~

Palm Court at the Plaza Hotel on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

26 thoughts on “Being Blair – The Plaza Hotel

1. sash4817 February 8, 2012 at 7:37 am Reply

Reblogged this on sash4817.

2. bakingaddict February 8, 2012 at 9:13 am Reply

I love watching Gossip girl too and I like the idea of being Blair Waldorf for the day although I’m not sure I can keep up with the scheming and planning! Thanks for an honest, informative review. It’s such a shame it was not up to standard! The pictures look lovely but it’s the taste that counts! Will be sure to give this a miss next time. So many other places to eat! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reply

Yes yes definitely Ros :) I was so excited about being Blair for the day and enjoy high tea but it just wasn’t up to standard :(
      HAHAHA but it’s so funny watching Blair scheme ~

3. Flick Your Food February 8, 2012 at 11:33 am Reply

I too am a big GG fan and always wanted to be Blair for the day. That’s a shame about the high tea but thanks for the review it will ensure I try some were else

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment :) sorry i didn’t see it before~ Definitely a shame about the tea but doesn’t matter there’s a lot of other places you can try ~ LOVE GG :)

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reply

We went to the Plaza and ordered the sandwiches and they weren’t bad but I remember thinking that they were the most expensive sandwiches I had ever eaten lol. It was a while back when the currency exchange wasn’t so good :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm Reply

It definitely was an expensive place ~ I think the foods better when you order it specifically and when it’s not premade :(

5. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg February 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm Reply

Yum yum. Need to go to high tea again:) Even the menu here looks expensive!

Mr Bao did not like the savoury food? But he always likes favoury food from what you have written on my blog! :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm Reply

I know so expensive and it just wasn’t worth it! Especially when the service wasn’t very good and the forks were dirty :(

Mr Bao always likes savoury food but the sandwiches and tarts just didn’t ring his bell here :(

6. Hannah February 9, 2012 at 9:05 am Reply

Boooo! Blair would storm out of there in a huff! And then get macarons delivered to her from Paris instead ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reply

That’s so true Hannah :) Blair probably would’ve made a scene ahhaha I should’ve been more ‘Blair’ :P

7. bakingaddict February 9, 2012 at 10:32 am Reply

Hi Daisy

Guess what? I’ve awarded you a Liebster Blog Award! Check it out here and pass it on :) http://themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-blog-award.html

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reply

You are the BEST Ros :) You are always so supportive!!! Thank you so much!!

8. beti February 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reply

everything looks amazingly good!! I would love to go just to eat all of those deliciousnes

9. Rice Bowl Tales February 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm Reply

How disappointed it must have been! After looking forward to it so much and was kept waiting for half an hour, then end up being served average standard of food for expensive price!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:26 pm Reply

It definitely was a huge disappointment >_< I was so excited to being Blair and having the whole Blair experience but then it was just horrible and service wasn't good either :(

10. Hotly Spiced February 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm Reply

What a dream come true. I would love to check in to the Plaza Hotel and just hover around for a few weeks or months. New York is amazing. Such a special city. It sounds like you are having an incredible time.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm Reply

Definitely a dream come true to be Blair for the day, but just a shame when the food and service wasn’t up to my expectations :( but New York City is great ~

11. Glamorous Glutton February 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm Reply

I’ve stayed in the Plaza a couple of times and not been ove impressed with the food or aervice. I wanted attention and luxury for my money. I had the equivalent of your stale sandwiches. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm Reply

Oh no :( I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience there too >_< and it's so expensive to stay there but were the rooms really pretty and luxurious?

12. Nic@diningwithastud February 10, 2012 at 10:55 am Reply

What a shame :( you should send them this post in hopes that they’ll clean up their act

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm Reply

That’s actually a really good idea because then they might improve and it’ll save others from having to experience this kind of service and food :(

13. Faith February 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm Reply

Oh wow, I can’t believe the forks were dirty — yuck! Thanks for your honest review, I’ll definitely do some more research before going there!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm Reply

I know Faith :( I think the worse were the forks and the horrible service. I mean food can be subjective and personal but the service shouldn’t be like this >_< but Thanks for the recommendation and next time I'm gonna check out The Russian Tea Room ~