Birthday Celebrations in HK

Hello lovely readers ~ First my apologies for being a little slow at posting lately, it was my birthday two days ago and my schedule has been jam-packed with birthday dinners, cakes and lots of love :) Actually I’m still celebrating ~ have a family dinner tonight YAY!

I’ve had such a wonderful birthday that I wanted to share with you some of the places we went to :)

Celebrations started at the Ozone Bar on the 118th floor at The Ritz Carlton Hotel in Kowloon, which is currently Hong Kong’s tallest building. It’s supposed to give you really good view of the Victoria Harbour, but unfortunately, when we got there it was really foggy and pouring raining…so we missed out on the good view…but I was with some great friends that made up for it ~

Nice bar :)

Source: Ritz Carlton
Drinks were approximately $130 HKD to $150HKD which is roughly $15-$20AUD plus 10% service charge :) I got the Sweet Life (Perfect name for me) which is a combination of lychee pineapple juice and tequila ~ loved it! Such a sweet combination ~

Sweet Life $130HKD ($15HKD) + 10% service charge

Then at exactly 12am! Mr Bao asked them to bring out my first birthday cake! I was ecstatic! It was a chocolate banana cake from Awfully Chocolate, a Singaporean cake shop that opened in Hong Kong a year ago ~ I’ve been waiting to try their cakes for such a long time. But never got the chance because you can only get a 6inch cake and not individual pieces from the store near us.

6 inch Chocolate Banana Cake $188HKD ($22AUD)

Please forgive the photo quality, it was really dark in the bar and I didn’t want to use the flash ~

The banana puree ~

It’s basically a 3 layer chocolate cake with banana puree in between the layers and then covered in chocolate ganache :) It was surprisingly light and wasn’t sweet at all! The cake layers were a cross between a sponge and a chiffon, so I think that’s why it was so light ~ Unfortunately, this isn’t my type of chocolate cake, I like chocolate cakes that are dense, rich and full of flavour. Don’t get me wrong, it was still very nice, just not for me :) but I understand why my Asian friends like it, because they don’t really like rich cakes ~ If you’re looking for a lighter chocolate cake, definitely try Awfully Chocolate.

The next day, Mr Bao and I got up extra early because Win Win was taking us to Ocean Park! For those who dont know Ocean Park is the local theme park in Hong Kong and the home of the Pandas’ On On, Kai Kai, Ying Ying and Lok Lok ~ Gifts from the Chinese government.

Because I’m a Hong Kong resident and its my birthday, I get free admission and Mr Bao got a ticket for half price. Tickets are usually $280HKD ($34AUD), however, there are discounts, so before you go check the specials online :)
It’s been ages since we’ve gone to Ocean Park ~ hmmm…not much has changed really…just a lot more people! And there only use to be 2 pandas and now they have 4 ~ I think I’m seriously getting old hahaha I was so scared when going on when of the rides :P Thanks again Win Win for taking us! So much fun ~

Dinner time! Thanks to good recommendations from Sasa and HK Epicurus, we booked a table at The Press Room in Sheung Wan on the Hong Kong Island. After all that walking at Ocean Park we were hungry and ordered two set dinners for $280HKD ($34AUD), you get to choose a starter, side or entree of your choice and a main dish from 5 choices. This is their menu :)

Mr Bao ordered:

Salmon and Tuna Fish Cake

Salmon and Tuna fish cake as his starter, very nicely made! We particularly liked how the filling was so warm and creamy while the outside was so crisp ~

Lamb Shank

Then Lamb Shank for his main, Mr Bao really enjoyed it, saying it was cooked perfectly, the meat wasn’t too tough and it was a generous portion even for him hahaha :)

I ordered:

Onion Soup with a cheese top ~ DELICIOUS!

The onion soup was fantastic, especially with the cheese topping!!! It’s not the good old puff pastry!!! Instead it’s a good thick layer of cheese that’s slightly melted, simply delectable :) Gonna try doing this to my soups next time ~

Darne of Salmon

Very large piece of salmon! Quite nice :) only down fall were the asparagus which weren’t cooked…it was basically raw >_<

How could I NOT order dessert ~

Pistachio Creme Brulee $68 +10% service charge

Amazing creme brulee ~ love the pistachio flavour and the thick layer of sugar on top! Now I’m trying to replicate this recipe at home hehe will let you know if I succeed :)

That wasn’t enough! Mr Bao got me ANOTHER cake :) YAY! This time it was from Tony Wong a local patisserie, who had previously worked as the executive pastry chef for a 5 star hotel in Hong Kong. I’ve tried their cakes before and thought their mille feuille was quite good, but Mr Bao got me their Devil Coffee cake ~

Devil Cake $320HKD ($40AUD) for 1lb

Don’t worry we shared it with our other friends, and we all thought it was pretty good ~ it’s hard to get a good coffee cake and this was definitely a good coffee mousse cake, but I would’ve preferred a different cake base, it was a little soggy for my liking :)

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR CELEBRATING WITH ME AND THE LOVING MESSAGES!

Ozone Bar Ritz Carlton

上環荷里活道108號

Tony Wong Patisserie
74 Fok Lo Tsun Road, Kowloon City
九龍城福佬村道74號

40 thoughts on “Birthday Celebrations in HK

1. Tenille @ My Family Table January 29, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply

Happy Birthday! And I’m with you; dense, rich chocolate cake is the way to go.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm Reply

Thank you Tenille! Definitely :) Light cakes just don’t satisfy my sweet tooth hehe

2. Gerald Englebretsen January 29, 2012 at 11:37 pm Reply

Happy happy birthday – Mr Bao certainly spoiled you!
    Thrilled to see you got the Devil Cake … a small tribute to Tasmania perhaps??
    Hope 2012 and the Year of the Dragon is good to you in all sorts of ways.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm Reply

Thank you Gerald :) yes he sure did ~ he’s outdoing his self hehe
      I hope it was a tribute to Tasmania :) I’m hoping to go back sometime this year! I can’t stay away from the oysters hehe

Hope you have a wonderful year ahead of you too ~

3. Hotly Spiced January 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm Reply

Happy Birthday! And what a fabulous birthday it does seem to have been with so many dinners out and not one but two cakes! I’d love to try the one with the pureed banana in it. That sounds delicious and who doesn’t love ganache!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 6:53 pm Reply

Thank you `:) I’m so greedy I love birthday cakes ~ because there’s usually always a second helping hehe the puree banana one was nice…but just wasn’t for me ~

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm Reply

Happy Birthday Daisy! You look gorgeous in that picture! And that cake sounds really interesting although I agree,a lot of cakes in Asia are very light.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 6:56 pm Reply

thanks Lorraine :) I’ve gained a lot of weight lately!!! Sighh Asian cakes are too light hahaha i’m such a fatty :P

5. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg January 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm Reply

Happy birthday! (You have such pretty hair) That bar looks like something out of a movie- very futuristic. I would be very interested to try that cake. Chocolate and banana is a good combination Mmmm. In Germany, the land of chooclate, I used to have chocolate cereal with banana juice for breakfast. Combination Heaven:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 6:57 pm Reply

Thank you :) I really need a haircut! My hair is so long and thick now and i have bad bad regrowth you just can’t see it in the photo ~ OOO banana juice?!? I like the sound of that!!!

6. penny aka jeroxie January 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm Reply

Happy birthday to you! What a feast lucky girl :)

7. Tina@flourtrader January 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm Reply

Happy belated birthday! This post does look like you celebrated in style with some awesome ambiance and food. Simply love the banana puree in the cake, I wish I had this one for my birthday cake-yum!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy Monday.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 7:05 pm Reply

Thank Tina :) For the lovely comment and dropping by my blog! I had a great birthday ~ I didn’t know so many people liked banana puree :D

8. Blond Duck January 30, 2012 at 11:43 pm Reply

It sounds like an awesome birthday!

9. kellysiew January 31, 2012 at 1:20 am Reply

Happy birthday Daisy! What a feast that was! :) the creme brulee looks huge!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 7:09 pm Reply

Thank you kelly :) the Creme brulee dish was pretty shallow so not as big as it looks ~

10. Suzanne January 31, 2012 at 4:40 am Reply

Happy Birthday, looks like a lot of fun was had and deliciousness too. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the sweet comment. Enjoy the week.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 7:12 pm Reply

Thanks Suzanne :) I had so much fun for my bday this year and way too much food and cake ~

11. April January 31, 2012 at 10:21 am Reply

What a great birthday celebration! Happy belated birthday!

That first bar looks so funky!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reply

Thank you April :) The bar was good just the weather wasn’t nice sighhh doesn’t matter i’l have to go again ~

12. Rice Bowl Tales January 31, 2012 at 5:31 pm Reply

Happy belated birthday Daisy! Looked like you’ve had such a wonderful time! Especially with your loving and caring Mr. Bao by your side, I’m sure it feels a lot sweeter then any of the cakes :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm Reply

Thank you Jane you are always so sweet :D Yes…Mr Bao definitely outdid himself this year…but hahaha i’m still waiting for my ‘present’ just kidding i’m already very happy ~

13. Cakelaw January 31, 2012 at 8:59 pm Reply

Happy belated birthday! That banana and chocolate cake looks scrumptious.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 2, 2012 at 6:22 pm Reply

Thank you :) the cake was good but i would’ve liked it more if it was richer and dense ~

14. Faith February 1, 2012 at 3:12 am Reply

Oh, Happy Birthday, Dear Daisy! Your birthday festivities sure look like fun and the food all looks fantastic! I just got back from vacation and am catching up on my blog reading…I’m going to check out your posts from NYC now! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm Reply

Thank you Faith :) I had a wonderful birthday! YAY you’re back hehe i’ve still got quite a few more posts of NYC still haven’t gotten around to writing and posting them ~

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 1, 2012 at 6:17 am Reply

Happy Birthday Daisy! Mr. Bao bought you two cakes! How nice~~~~~! Sounds like you had a fabulous b-day celebrations (PLURAL!). Man… I want to stay at that Riz when I go to HK. Muhaha. Thanks for sharing all the delicious meals and reviews. So fun to read what other people have been eating. =P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm Reply

Thank you Nami :) Mr Bao definitely did well this year in terms of cake hahaha because I’ve wanted to try cakes from both these patisseries so i’m happy :)

Ritz Carlton is definitely a great place to in HK ~ let me know when you’re coming!

16. Hannah February 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm Reply

Happy birthday!!! Hurrah for extended celebrating! That pistachio creme brulee sounds heavenly; I hope you do recreate it and share :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 2, 2012 at 6:28 pm Reply

Thank you Hannah :) the celebrations finally ended on Tuesday ~ Will definitely post the recipe when I succeed! It seems a little difficult hehe ~

17. bakingaddict February 2, 2012 at 10:18 am Reply

Happy (belated) birthday!! Looks like you had a fabulous time with family, good food and cakes!! Love the chocolate and banana cake and the french onion soup (one of my favourites)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 2, 2012 at 6:31 pm Reply

Thanks Ros :) i had a wonderful time and i think the onion soup was one of the best i’ve had especially with the cheese top YUMMY ~

18. mrbaobao February 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm Reply

Happy Birthday dear (though I have already said it a couple of times, more wish doesn’t hurt) just wanna show some support here know you have been preoccupied with other things, however take your time for your new post:) looking forward to see it!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm Reply

Thanks dear :) I can’t never get enough birthday wishes hehe I definitely haven’t been able to blog as much as I’d like to the past few days. But it’s okay the work is done and dusted and now I can get back into blogging ~

19. cat February 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm Reply

Awww how cute are you guys! Happy birthday! x

20. Cupcake Crazy Gem February 16, 2012 at 11:18 pm Reply

Happy belated birthday! Sorry I’m a little behind on blogging. That looks like an amazing place you went to! My sister just applied for a job in Hong Kong and finds out this Friday if she got it, I am praying so hard for her that she gets it and if she does the first thing I’m going to do is send her the link to your blog so she can familiarise herself with all the tasty places to eat in Hong Kong! Thanks for sharing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 17, 2012 at 5:15 am Reply

Hello Gem :) that’s alright i know how busy we can all get! So thank you so much for coming back to my blog and leaving such a sweet message :) I really hope your sister will get the job too! Hong Kong is a fantastic city with all the hustle and bustle! If she does get the job and I’m still around please feel free to tell your sister to send me an email and maybe we can meet up ~ I’d love to show her around :D