Big Apple – Alice Tea Cup

Hello! Hope you all had a lovely Chinese New Year with family and ate lots of goodies like me ~ But after having Chinese food for 5 days straight 3 meals a day…I think I’m getting a little sick of it… that’s why I’ve decided to continue with my New York City posts :) Today, I wanted to share with you, my lovely at Alice Tea Cup  Chapter 1 in the Upper West Side. Founded by sisters Haley and Lauren Fox in 2001, it has quickly become one of the most whimsical places for both locals and tourists to have tea.

The shop front was small so it's easy to walk past

After having breakfast at the hotel for 3 days…we got a little sick of bagels, eggs and bacon hehe so I randomly did a search on cafes in the Upper West Side because we were going to the American Museum of Natural Historyafterwards. With a bit of luck, I found Alice Tea Cup Chapter 1 only 4 blocks away from the Museum ~ Perfect! So Mr Bao and I quickly put our jackets on and hailed a cab. When we got there it took us a good minute or two to find it because the shop front is pretty small, so it’s pretty easy to walk past and not know it’s there.

People enjoying tea on a Saturday morning~

Mr Bao and I walked in and it was quite busy – being 10am on a Saturday morning there were mums and daughters and people just enjoying a scone by themselves. We were so so so lucky to get a table immediately! I heard another man who walked in 5 minutes after us, that there was a 2 hour wait and if he wanted to make a reservation it’ll have to be 2 weeks in advance! As usual we were both ravenous ~ we quickly looked at the menu and chose what we wanted :)

Smoked Salmon with poached eggs on buttermilk scones $13USD

I was trying to convince Mr Bao to have the afternoon tea set with me…but he wasn’t sold by the idea hahaha he wanted ‘breakfast’, not dainty little sandwiches ~ so he got the smoked salmon with poached eggs on buttermilk scones. I tried it and thought it was pretty good, but nothing too exciting. The buttermilk scone was lovely though! Something different to have than english muffins or a piece of toast. Mr Bao also ordered a pot of peppermint tea which he really liked, while I thought it was a little too peppery for me.

Morning Tea Set with a pot of Tea $22USD

To satisfy my desire to have a 3 tier set, I ordered the morning tea which was served on a 3 tier stand YAY! I think it’s a pretty good deal because for $22, I got a scone of my choice (I got lemon and blueberry), 2 poached eggs and their famous Alice’s vanilla tea infused granola with vanilla yoghurt and a pot of tea of my choice! Not bad eh? :D I really enjoyed the granola it was so crunchy and sweet! I’m sure a bore…for my pot of tea I just ordered English Breakfast because I’m not really familiar with all the different types of tea they had to offer ~

Lemon and Blueberry scone

But I have to give my hand down to the lemon and blueberry scone! It was probably the most amazing scone I have had for a long long time. I don’t know if it’s because I am a picky scone eater…but I usually find scones to be either too dry or a mouthful of baking soda! But the scones at Alice Tea Cup were P-E-R-F-E-C-T! I was so obsessed with these scones that I bought the Alice Tea Cup cook book ~ you can find it on Amazon for approximately $16 USD. Source: AmazonI was too full if not I would’ve tried all the other goodies they had to offer!

Scones in various flavours - One for $3.5USD

I WANT the Red Velvet cupcake >_<

If you like tea, scones and cake – Alice Tea Cup is a MUST GO when visiting New York City!

Alice's Tea Cup Chapter I on Urbanspoon

They also have 2 more stores Alice Tea Cup Chapter 2 and 3 :)

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

23 thoughts on “Big Apple – Alice Tea Cup

1. penny aka jeroxie January 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm Reply

Oh! nice find. I love the look of the scones.

2. Jane Lee January 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm Reply

I’m such a tea, cakes & scones lover, this place really sounds like ‘ my cup of tea ‘ !! Thank you for finding it, I’m going to check that book out now … :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 28, 2012 at 6:55 am Reply

I’m a tea and scone lover too :) i feel like a ‘nanny’ for saying that hehe! Definitely check the book out and hopefully I’ll be able to share a recipe on this blog soon ~

3. Glamorous Glutton January 27, 2012 at 9:29 am Reply

Great find. I’ll definitely put it on my list for my next trip to NYC. GG

4. bakingaddict January 27, 2012 at 11:24 am Reply

Looks like such a fun place to have tea! The scones do look lovely. I am tempted to buy the book but I told myself I would not buy another one until I used more of the ones I already have! Will add it to my wish list though :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 28, 2012 at 6:56 am Reply

I know how you feel! I keep buying cook books! I bought another one yesterday and I’m not really baking actively lately hehe but I just HAD to buy the book! It was a must! :)

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm Reply

I probably like scones way more than cupcakes or muffins. I don’t particularly need icing as long as there are nice crunchy texture on top, and scones are just perfect. From the pictures, oh yeah this one looks delicious! I have my favorite place to eat and buy scones, but it’s like 1.5 hour away (in Santa Cruz and I’m in SF). I go crazy when it comes to scones… =)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 28, 2012 at 6:58 am Reply

Oh damn…it’s so far away :( but if it’s so good I think it’s worth the drive ~ these scones are fantastic! I’m hoping to share a recipe on this blog soon, then maybe you can try this recipe and see if these are any good compared to your place in Santa Cruz? :D

I can’t choose between scones, cupcakes or muffins! I like them all!

6. Hannah January 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm Reply

Oh yes, Americans do scones well! They’re more like cake versions of what we call scones, and how can that ever be wrong? ;) This place is too cute!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 28, 2012 at 7:00 am Reply

I never thought about it but that’s so true! They’re like cakey in comparison to the scones we have in Melb :) This place is cute and relaxing ~

7. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake January 28, 2012 at 3:23 am Reply

What an interesting shop! I love the idea of having Chapter 1, 2 and 3…it makes people want to visit the other shops to continue the ‘story’. :D I love scones and cake so will definitely keep this place on the list of ‘to visits’!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 28, 2012 at 7:02 am Reply

I know :) i’d love to go to all the stores next time hahaha scones and cakes are my best friend I don’t think I could live without them! Just so hard to get good scones, so it’s really nice to find them here at Alice Tea Cup ~

8. Jill | Dulce Dough January 28, 2012 at 9:17 am Reply

Looks a wonderful place to eat! That lemon and blueberry scone looks amazing!

9. Norma Chang January 28, 2012 at 11:14 am Reply

I frequently visit NYC but never visited Alice Tea Cup. It is on my “to visit” list next time I go to NYC. Beautiful photos. Love scones.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment and coming by my blog Norma :)
      You’ll have to go to Alice Tea Cup next time you go to NYC ~ i’s such a nice place!

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm Reply

What a gorgeous place! I love the story of Alice and would have definitely wanted to go there too. The scones sound great!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 28, 2012 at 8:12 pm Reply

I’ve never managed to read the whole story of Alice In The Wonderland hehe another place for you to put on your must go list when you go to NYC ~

11. JasmyneTea January 29, 2012 at 1:48 pm Reply

I just got back from New York too, lol. I tossed up between here and Levain Bakery when I went to see the American Museum of Natural History – looks like I missed out!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm Reply

Ohh did you just come back? :) did you have lots of fun too?!? I can’t wait to go back! ~
      I haven’t heard of Levain Bakery before putting it on my ‘check out’ list next time ~

12. Cakelaw January 31, 2012 at 9:00 pm Reply

Oooooh so envious – I want to go to NYC, and Alice’s Tea Cup is definitely on my list.