Sawadeecup – Lotus

Hello Everyone :) I’m not back yet, probably lost somewhere in New York, but I managed to write this post before I left ~

Wanted to give you guys a quick review of a Thai restaurant I visited with Mr Bao and some friends a few weeks ago in the Soho area called Lotus. For those who are from Melbourne, Soho is kind of like the Hong Kong version of St Kilda, with lots of bars, cafes and restaurants. It is located in Central  and is ‘the place’ to go for dinner and drinks with friends :)

Lotus Bar and Restaurant

I rarely go to the Hong Kong side, so it was nice to go to a new area for dinner ~ Mr T had read good things about Lotus and suggested we have dinner there. I was a little surprised when I arrived because it was more of a bar than a restaurant. We could hear the blasting music as we walked in and was quickly greeted by the nice manager who I guessed was from the UK, based on his accent :) I have a thing for the British accent, I think it’s so classy ~

We were insanely hungry, but had some trouble deciding what we wanted, it wasn’t the usual Thai food …it had a modern take on it…and we weren’t sure of the dishes. After a good five minutes of deliberating we decided what we wanted:D

Lotus Tasting Plate Selection $196HKD ($25AUD)

A nice selection of chicken satays, pork spring rolls, sweet and sour squids and fish balls, we shared everything and I particularly liked the chicken satay – perfectly cooked, I don’t like overcooked and dry satays.

Crispy Salmon Salad $115HKD ($14.50AUD)

This salad had all the usual Thai herbs and spices, but was a little weird with the watermelon. Mr Bao thought it was a little too spicy, while I thought it was just right :)

Pad thai with king prawn $108HKD ($14AUD)

In my opinion, the Pad Thai was my favourite dish of the night good. It had all the right flavours and I liked how it wasn’t drenched in oil like some places. And with the little white dish on the side with extra salt, chilli powder and crushed peanuts we were able to customise it ~

Yellow Curry Braised Lamb Shank $185HKD ($23.50AUD)

Mr Bao ordered the lamb shank and although it cooked well and was very tender, it was awfully salty. We could barely eat a mouthful without drinking lots of water. So that was a little disappointing because the yellow curry was quite fragrant ~

Green Curry with Prawns $180HKD ($23AUD)

I’m a fan of green curry and nearly always order it when I have Thai food ~ this was good but I think it would have been better if it had a stronger coconut flavour.

No desserts that night, believe it or not hahaha it rarely happens! But I was too full and pretty sure I had macarons or some sort of dessert waiting for me at home :)

Latte and Cappuccino approximately $25HKD($3.1AUD)

Mr Bao and I did have a coffee each, because we were so excited when we saw a barista and a large complex looking coffee machine ~ but nope…nothing compared to what we’re use to in Melbourne…it was so so so watery…  sorry I forgot the prices of the coffee.

Overall I had a great night catching up with Mr T and Ms C, and even though the Thai food wasn’t really authentic (modern Thai), it was definitely enjoyable :)

Hope you’ve all been well!

Tagged: , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Sawadeecup – Lotus

1. Glamorous Glutton January 14, 2012 at 8:27 am Reply

The food looked good but it’s always disappointing when it’s too salty. Somehow the coffees aren’t too great in HK and I always end up in Starbucks. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm Reply

Hello GG :) so sorry for the late reply! I just got back to HK this morning and dealing with jet lag!

I totally agree…it’s so annoying when the food is disappointing…but nonetheless i had fun catching up with friends :) and hahaha i do the same thing…always end up going to Starbucks…but then they don’t really have great coffee either >_<

2. Hannah January 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm Reply

Excuse me while I hyperventilate with excitement over the words “New York”….. okay, done. :P

I love the sound of the salmon with watermelon! Reminds me of a prawn, feta and watermelon salad I once made :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reply

Hello Hannah :) Sorry for the late reply!

I just got back to HK this morning…grrr the 11 hours difference is killing hehe! I had such a great time in NYC! Can’t wait to share it with everyone! Just need to edit some of my photos first ~

I never thought of putting salmon and watermelon together hahaha just a little weird tome :) but somehow…feta and watermelon sound great together!

3. msihua January 15, 2012 at 10:53 pm Reply

GAH! Still so jealous that you’re travelling non-stop!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reply

Hello I-hua :) i’m back!!! Sorry for the late reply! Don’t be jealous you’re going to Malaysia in less than a week!! :) Have lots of fun!

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 21, 2012 at 6:30 am Reply

This Lamb Shank is humongous! Interesting – it’s more of a bar than restaurant but they serve pretty “real” meal here. I always order pad thai every new Thai restaurant I go…to measure if the restaurant serves the food that I enjoy… you know each restaurant is different even it’s same Thai food.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm Reply

You’ve described it so well :) a bar serving ‘real’ meals hahaha That’s a good way to determine whether a Thai restaurant is good by trying their pad thai ~ hmmm I’ve got cravings nows hehe