Guilty Pleasure – Chesa

Dear Readers, as you are reading this post, I will be on my way to the BIG BIG APPLE – New York!!! I am SUPER DUPER EXCITED! It’s been a good 6 months since Mr Bao and I first decided to go, and now we’re finally going!
I would like to say a HUGE thank you to – Catty, Faith, KewpieLovesYou, Katiemakescake, MissPiggyEats for helping me plan my trip and giving me all their tips!

But before I go on a brief hiatus :) I’d love to share with you one of my MOST favourite restaurants in Hong Kong, I can never leave without coming here at least once and that’s Chesa at the Peninsula Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Beautiful hotel :)

Source: Luxury Travel Advisor

The Peninsula would have to be one of the most famous and recognised landmarks of Hong Kong.  The hotel has had a long history established in 1928, was once taken over by the Japanese and then restored by the British in the 1940’s. But no matter how much time goes by it remains as a beautiful hotel.  It is particularly special to me, because Win Win my dearest sister, got married and had her wedding banquet here back in 2004 :)

Chesa is a Swiss restaurant and they serve a range of authentic Swiss dishes… but Win Win and I basically come for the Cheese Fondue! That’s why I call it my guilty pleasure…because apart from desserts…my biggest weakness would have to be CHEESE! I absolutely LOVE it! But because it’s so rich and heavy…we try to have it periodically .

Cheese Fondue $218HKD ($28 AUD) +10% service charge

Fantastic cheese fondue! Basically the best fondue we’ve had, apart from the real deal in Switzerland! I have no idea what cheese they use but it’s SO damn good, I don’t think I can describe it any better than that :D. For some, the alcohol (Kirsch)  might be a little strong, but we’ve had cheese fondues with very little wine and it just didn’t taste quite right ~

How can you say 'no' to this?

Just look at it! How could anyone resist it, soft bread all covered in that gooey, delicious cheese!

We also ordered a lunch set each, for $318 HKD ($40 AUD) plus 10% service charge we got the following:

Entrée - Beef Tartare

Lovely! I liked the flavours but didn’t really get the two little pieces of toast though…it was a little unnecessary

Main - Salmon with cream sauce and vegetables

I’m so sorry, I forgot the name of this dish, it had a much more glamorous name than this. It tasted very nice! I really liked the cream sauce with the mashed cauliflower.

Dessert - Chocolate marquise with orange marmalade and cocoa sherbet

I wrote the name down for the dessert :) See they all have pretty names hehe! Amazing dessert, loved the marquise full of chocolate but wasn’t too rich ~ Win Win particularly liked the Sherbet with a strong dark chocolate flavour.

Petit Fours

By the time, the petit fours arrived…I thought my stomach was going to explode after eating so much hahaha the one on the left is Chesa’s take on a Hazelnut Praline, it tasted 95% like a Ferrero Rocher just doesn’t look like one. While the one on the right is a piece of orange rind covered in chocolate, Win Win and I love Jaffa flavoured desserts, so we were happy with both of these.

Iced Lemon Tea

The meal ended with a complimentary tea or coffee, we got the Iced Lemon Tea, needed something refreshing after all that cheese.

It was definitely a satisfying meal! I highly recommend anyone who’s a cheese lover like me to go to Chesa, because I guarantee you the cheese fondue with not disappoint you :)

While I’m in New York, I’ll have limited access to the internet, so I’m really sorry if I’m a bit slow at updating and replying any comments or emails. Promise to reply as soon as I can ~

Take care everyone :)

Chesa – The Peninsula
Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
尖沙咀梳士巴利道香港半島酒店
Ph: 2315 3169

Tagged: , , , ,

24 thoughts on “Guilty Pleasure – Chesa

1. msihua January 10, 2012 at 10:54 pm Reply

You are so lucky to be travelling so much! Jealous!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm Reply

Don’t be jealous!!! You re going to malaysia soon much be lots of fun and places to eat!! :)

2. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake January 11, 2012 at 12:55 am Reply

Wow I’ve been to Tsim Sha Tsui before but I didn’t realise there was such a beautiful and grand hotel there! It looks stunning. Must be expensive to stay there…the food looks amazing too…
    I’m so jealous you get to go NY!!! I want to go and shop!! :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm Reply

Hello Jenny ;) TST has changed quite a bit lately ~ yeah the peninsula is quite expensive but definitely worth checking out next time you come to HK.

3. bakingaddict January 11, 2012 at 6:36 am Reply

Have a great time in NYC! Can’t wait to read all about it :) I love cheese fondues after trying it in Switzerland. They also had a meat fondue and a chocolate fondue! The marquise looks like my kind of dessert :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm Reply

Hey Ros!! I m having a great time over here~ ooo a meat fondue? I don’t remember seeing it last time I was in Switzerland but I remember the chocolate fondue was great!!

4. Glamorous Glutton January 11, 2012 at 8:00 am Reply

Wow, I had forgotten about that amazing fondue. I used to visit Hong Kong very often and Chesa was one of the restaurants we always went at least once, each trip. I’m with you, it wouldn’t be the same without all the alcohol – seriously yummy!! Have a great time in NY. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm Reply

Thanks GG ;) can’t believe someone else is like us, going to Chesa all the time ~ when are you coming back to HK? It’s changed quite a bit in the TST area lately, with the new shopping centers hehe

5. Win Win January 11, 2012 at 7:05 pm Reply

My favourite !!!

6. Jane Lee January 12, 2012 at 1:58 am Reply

You asked me last time, when did I last went back to Hong Kong? I went back at end of March 2011 to take part in the Lee Kum Kee Bloggers Cooking Competition with my husband, had a fantastic time, very lucky to have came first in the competition. Afternoon tea at The Lobby at Peninsula Hotel was one of the celebrations with my friend the next day ;9
    Have a fsntastic trip !!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm Reply

Sorry Jane ;) I must ve forgot you replied and asked you again hehe will you be coming back anytime this year? I remember about the Lee Kum Kee events ~ you deserve the award!!
      I m having a fab time here! Speak to you soon!

7. Hannah January 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm Reply

Oh, it all looks lovely except why did they have to go and ruin a perfectly tasty dessert witih evil orange? :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm Reply

Hahaha Hannah you don’t like oranges? The dessert wasn’t that bad hehe

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm Reply

Have a great trip Daisy! I’m so envious you get to visit NYC. I’ve never been there yet. I wish I traveled more when I didn’t have kids… ENJOY!

Some of my friends got married in this hotel, which is the only reason why I recognize the name. Looks like you had really great food there.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm Reply

Hello Nami :) I’m back ~ Sorry for the late reply! Didn’t have much internet access hehe

I had a wonderful time in NYC, you should definitely go there sometime! I think it’s quite kids-friendly too so you’ll still have fun even if you took the kids ~

A lot of people choose to marry and have their banquet at the Peninsula hehe I really like this hotel! And the food is great!

9. cat January 13, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reply

SOOOOO JEALOUS that you’re in NYC. you’re going to love every single minute of it! I need to go back! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm Reply

Hello Cat :)
      You are SO right I loved every second of it!!! It was so good! I can’t wait to go back :) I swear i need to spend a month there next time!

You’ve gotta go back with Panu soon :)

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm Reply

Have a great time! It has been too many years since my last visit there! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm Reply

Thanks Lorraine :) I had a great time in NYC! You’ve gotta go back you’ll have so much fun! All the food and shopping it’s amazing!

11. Spencer January 15, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

Loving those delicious pictures! Hope you have a great time in NYC.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 19, 2012 at 2:50 am Reply

Thanks :) i had a lovely time in NYC ~ the food was just SO delicious!

12. Cupcake Crazy Gem January 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reply

Oh wow this place looks amazing! so fancy! and cheese fondue sounds yum – soooo jeal you are going to NY, it’s one of my favourite cities in the whole world! oh the yummy treats you will be able to devour – please go to doughnut plant, I have wanted to go there forever! and Crumbs bake shop have the best cupcakes in the world in my opinion, get a mini selection box you won’t be disappointed! and visit Dylan’s candy shop – it’s awesome! oh and of course frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity 3, you’ve probably been given these recommendations already but just incase – have the best time! can’t wait to see your pics!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 19, 2012 at 2:52 am Reply

Hey Gem :) Sorry for the late reply! But i hope i’ve made you proud! I had the mini cupcake selection box from Crumbs.
      Got a massive bag of lollies from Dylan’s Candy shop and had dinner and dessert at Serendipity 3 :)

THanks for all the recommendations!!! I”m so glad i went to most of them! Damn I couldn’t find Doughnut Plant >_< where about it is?

Will be uploading and posting soon ~