Locally Famous – Kai Kee Dessert

I love reading all the comments you guys leave me :) but its particularly nice when people tell me, they’ve learnt something from reading my blog ~ because even though I’m an advocate for French patisserie it is my life time goal to explore and try desserts from all countries and cultures!

That’s why today, I wanted to continue introducing you to local Hong Kong desserts at Kai Kee Dessert (佳記甜品) in Yuen Long. Even though HK is minuscule compared to most places lol they still have their ‘non-urban’ areas too which is called New Territories. But unlike Australia you only need to travel half an hour or so and you’re alway from the CBD :)

Always so busy ~

Kai Kee Dessert is well-known locally as a place to visit whenever they go to Yuen Long usually on weekends ~ they’re particularly famous for their B Boy Grass Jelly (B仔涼粉) – which is a massive boal of grass jelly covered in all types of fresh and canned fruit. I’ve had this before and it’s really refreshing with all the fruit and the grass jelly, perfect summer dessert!

Source: Openrice

Unfortunately, my parents and anonymous Sis didn’t want the grass jelly… and there was NO way I could finish it myself, I swear it’s so big that it’ll serve at least 4 people! Just before I forget to explain, for those who hasn’t heard or had grass jelly before, it’s a very common jelly made from a plant very closely related to mint used in many Asian desserts. As for the flavour… it’s quite unique and I think like licorice…you either like it or not :)

Mixed fruit with Grass Jelly $28HKD ($3.5AUD)

But I still got to have the grass jelly and ordered a mini version of the B Boy Grass jelly :) Still just as nice and refreshing as before!

Sweet Potato Sweet Soup $14HKD ($2AUD)

Mum and Dad both got the Sweet Potato Sweet Soup, basically a ginger sugar syrup soup with sweet potatoes very traditional Hong Kong dessert ~ I tried it and thought it was quite nice but I’m a ginger-freak and would’ve liked a stronger ginger taste.

Malaysian Bubor Chacha $14HKD ($2AUD)

Anonymous Sis got the Bubor Chacha basically a sweet soup with red bean, taro, sago and coconut milk (ingredients varies depending where you go). She seemed to like it, but complained there was too much coconut milk and that it was too rich and filling… she’s a whinger :P I tried it and thought it was quite nice…nothing something I’d order though.

Cheung Fun (Rice Noodle Roll) $6 HKD ($0.7AUD)

We’ve heard good things about the Cheung Fun (腸粉) so we decided to share it, so so so nice! It was the silkiest cheung fun I’ve had since coming here :) Rice Noodle Roll basically a huge piece of rice noodled rolled up and then sesame sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce and hoisin sauce is poured over it. This is a breakfast and afternoon tea staple for people here,  so cheap and so delicious!

Overall, I recommend anyone going to Yuen Long to definitely try Kai Kee Dessert, don’t expect anything too fancy but for local desserts and street food it’s definitely the best place go!

PS. So sorry about photo quality again, I didn’t know we were going and left my camera and home and had to borrow Anonymous Sis’s one :(

Tagged: , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “Locally Famous – Kai Kee Dessert

1. Iron Chef Shellie January 6, 2012 at 9:10 am Reply

ahhhhh I am SO overdue for a trip to Asia!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 6, 2012 at 11:06 pm Reply

You’ve gotta plan a trip soon! There’s so much good stuff over here :) But i miss the cafe scene in Melb ~

2. Hannah January 6, 2012 at 9:26 am Reply

Oh, I would’ve loved to share the grass jelly with you! I’ve had it once and loved it. In fact, I’ve so far loved all Asian desserts but almost never, never get to try them. Stupid Canberra :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm Reply

Thanks Hannah :) Would be great to share with another foodie ~ You should go to Sydney or Melbourne there’s more Asian desserts ~ Have you had the sweet soup before?

• Hannah January 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm Reply

Sadly no! Mostly I’ve had Japanese desserts, which are less soup based :)

3. Winston January 6, 2012 at 1:59 pm Reply

Ahhh… I love how Asian places served their melons in balls haha… So much more fun to eat. And I am immediately appealed by places with old school outdoor tables and stools, just love these old school feels! Yummo! =]

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 6, 2012 at 11:10 pm Reply

Same Wince :) I think you eat more when the melons are scooped into balls ~ My sister said that place hasn’t changed a bit since it first opened at least a decade ago!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm Reply

Ahh yes grass jelly! I mean if my friends won’t eat chicken’s feet they definitely baulk at grass jelly. I don’t mind it, especially if it is with something sweet!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 6, 2012 at 11:11 pm Reply

I know what you mean lol my friends still think it’s disgusting that I eat chicken feet :) Grass jelly isn’t my favourite but I occasionally miss and will order it hehe

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm Reply

Asia is a great place to enjoy this kind of dessert and I totally miss it!! I’m not familiar with some of them here but I’m a challenger in terms of sweets. Your post is helpful to get more knowledge about different kinds of desserts. ;-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 6, 2012 at 11:14 pm Reply

Thanks Nami :) it’s wonderful that you’ve been introduced to some new desserts through my blog hehe I love Japanese desserts too ~
      I’m willing to try any desserts from any country or culture hahaha

6. Cakelaw January 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reply

These are definitely interesting desserts – they are like nothing I have ever tried before.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm Reply

These are very traditional Asian desserts and I guess we don’t have much of these back home in Melbourne, but the new place Monga dessert lounge in Box Hill has some of the sweet desserts I’ve mentioned in this post :)

7. Barbara Schieving January 7, 2012 at 12:19 am Reply

My first time learning about grass jelly. Wish I was there to share it with you!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 7, 2012 at 3:06 am Reply

Thanks for coming to my blog and leaving a comment! I’ve been following your blog for a while now!
      There’s no grass jelly in the States? Would’ve loved to share with you too!!

8. Faith January 7, 2012 at 1:53 am Reply

I definitely always learn something new when I visit your blog! Grass jelly is something that is completely new to me, but I love mint and I’d love to try it! Now to find it in, lol! Happy Friday, my friend!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 7, 2012 at 3:09 am Reply

I’m glad you’re learning new things :) I know I’ve learnt a lot of new things from your blog too especially new Middle Eastern herbs! Hope you can find grass jelly in New York ~ I’m SO SO SO excited 3 days left!!!

9. Cupcake Crazy Gem January 7, 2012 at 5:55 am Reply

Wow what amazing desserts! I was loving the look and sound of that grass jelly dish – is that mango in there too? until you explained the grass jelly tastes like liquorice and now i’m too sure! haha..but sweet potato soup wow-how unusual, I would love to try that! the funny thing is we made a sweet potato soup for dinner last night but it was most definitely savoury :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 7, 2012 at 5:58 am Reply

Hey Gem :) It’s not mango, that’s a piece of apricot hehe and I’m sure you’ll like grass jelly too if you like liquorice~

Hahaha it’s funny how different cultures use the same ingredients for totally different purposes :) it’s really easy the sweet potato dessert soup ~ maybe I’ll be able to grab the recipe and post it up soonish :)

10. libishski January 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply

Grass jelly is the bomb!

I need to make a trip to HK, stat…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 7, 2012 at 11:23 pm Reply

Are you a grass jelly fan too? ;) hurry come over I ll take you around hehe ~

11. My Lovely Bites January 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm Reply

hey, thanks a lot for the awesome info! I’ve only been to HK once before and for a very short time, but I loved it! And here in Sydney there are more and more shops selling Asian sweets like grass jelly: now I know what it is I might be brave enough to try it. And the noodle roll, I think I will dream about it. Looks so good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment ;) so glad to introduce you to Asian desserts hehe you should try the Taiwanese dessert place next to Mamak in china town they have some pretty good Asian desserts ~

12. msihua January 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm Reply

That cheong fun at the end looks great! I love melon balls :!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm Reply

The cheong fun was great!!! Too bad we don’t get these in Melb!! Me too melon balls ;)

13. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake January 7, 2012 at 4:52 pm Reply

Look at all the lovely fruit!! I’m drooling. Looks like a fantastic place :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm Reply

It was great ;) definitely try it out next time you come to Hk ~

14. Glamorous Glutton January 8, 2012 at 12:19 am Reply

Oh how I miss Hong Kong. I used to visit 5 or 6 times a year from the UK but haven’t been for 4 years now. I liked grass jelly but usually I’d eaten so much wonderful food before we got to dessert I didn’t have room to try sweet. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2012 at 2:00 am Reply

Thanks for the comment! Oh how come you don’t get to come much now? You’ve gotta come back soon :) There’s a lot of new stuff hehe but I’m totally with you! I’m always over eating here LOL

15. bakingaddict January 8, 2012 at 5:37 am Reply

Looks great! I’m not a fan of Asian desserts but the cheung fun at the end looks great. It’s so cool hearing you share about your exciting food discoveries :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 9, 2012 at 3:19 am Reply

To be completely honest with you :P i’m not the biggest fan of Asian desserts either but there are a few that I just adore! I can’t wait to share with you more of my adventures hehe or how simply how i’m gaining weight!