Last post of 2011 – La Maison du Chocolat

Happy New Years in advance everyone :)

This will be my last blog post for the year 2011, and even though I’m still very much a newbie and have only blogged for about a month…I have already made so many new friends, learnt so much and really enjoy sharing all  the good, bad and ugly food I’ve had ~ Thank you for everyone who has visited (over 1000 views now!) and commented on my posts, it means so much to me :)

Because I’m obsessed about desserts, I wanted to end this year on a sweet note and hence my review of La Maison du Chocolat macarons. I got a box all to myself from Win Win (my sister) as a Christmas present and I was so excited about trying them, for starters I’m a macaron fanatic and secondly, I’ve heard Sasa (bestfriend) rave on about La Maison du Chocolat for such a long time.

Xmas pressie from Win Win

Just briefly, La Maison du Chocolat is a chocolatier created by Robert Linxe in 1955 and have since gained popularity and expanded to London, New York, Japan and most recently Hong Kong :) I’m pretty sure they’ve been in HK for more than 2 years, but somehow I only recently learned of them.

Back off Mr Bao they're all MINE!!!

Look at them, simply divine! All perfectly shaped and the best part is, Win Win got me every single flavour they had :) Love having great sisters hehe so I got to try most flavours…I wasn’t strong enough to protect MY macarons, Mr Bao successfully stole 4 macarons damn >_<

Kept this little information booklet ~

Really liked how it came with a little booklet detailing the flavours and the ingredients, particularly useful for those who are allergic to anything in particular nuts or gluten :) My favourite flavour would have to be porcelana which has a dark chocolate ganache featuring Porcelena (white cocao beans) covered in crunchy chocolate flakes! Loved the crunchy bits so much!

My review of the macarons? They were good, but quite frankly I was a tiny bit disappointed, because I was expecting these to rock my world! Unfortunately, the macaron shells were too soft and these macarons had the thickest filling I’ve ever had in a macaron! If you go back to the first picture, and look at the macaron photo on the box, you’ll see the amount of filling they put in them! Even though nothing is ever too sweet for me, desserts can be too rich even for me hahaha so it was hard for me to have more than 2 macarons in a row. To me macarons should have a crispy shell and just the right amount of filling :)

They were quite expensive too, last time I checked they were $28 HKD per macaron which is a approximately $3.6 AUD per mac. I think I prefer macarons from La Bielle Miette or Adriano Zumbo :) But considering the fact I haven’t been able to find any better macarons in HK, these aren’t bad.

So if you’re in HK and you’re craving macarons do give these a go, you might like them!

Thanks again Win Win my number one supporter!

I wish you all the very best in 2012!!! See you all in the New Year!

Love,
Daisy xox

Address: Shop 246, 2/F
Pacific Place
88 Queensway
Admiralty
Ph: 2522 2010

Ps. I’m trying their famous chocolate eclairs next time :)

Tagged: , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Last post of 2011 – La Maison du Chocolat

1. kewpie December 31, 2011 at 8:48 am Reply

hello! not a huge fan of macarons… but when i do have them, i really enjoy the ones from Lindt (they were trained by pierre herme) and Barqoue…. not a fan of the zumbo ones at all.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 8:55 am Reply

Hello Kewpie :)
      Thanks for coming by my blog! Another friend of mine suggested Lindt and she doesn’t like Zumbo much either, I think there’s two types of macarons, the Zumbo type that’s stickier and gooey, and the Lindt types that’s a little drier :)

I’m biased hehe still prefer Zumbo ones more!

Happy New Year!!!

2. Hotly Spiced December 31, 2011 at 10:29 am Reply

The macarons do look lovely but I do agree that the filling is very thick and the top of each macaron should make a ‘tap’ sound and not be soft. And…they are also expensive. But still pretty in their little box! Happy New Year.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm Reply

Hello Charlie :)
      Thanks for coming by my blog! Just found your blog! Going to follow it now hehe ~ I agree! I didn’t know how to describe that ‘tap’ sound!
      Happy New Year have a great day!

3. bakingaddict December 31, 2011 at 10:37 am Reply

Thanks for sharing with us. You have such a lovely sister! Macarons are not my favourite things but I have recently grown to like them more. I had some amazing ones in Paris and Beigium. I will attempt to make my own next year! Wish me luck!! Happy New Year to you too and look forward to reading more of your blog next year.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 7:10 pm Reply

Hey Ros :) Really? I dunno why but imagined you to be a macaron girl :) hehe please try and share with us! I still haven’t had the guts to make them, cuz it seems so difficult!
      Have a Happy New Year too :)

4. Jane Lee December 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm Reply

In my opinion, good macarons are hard to find, just like chocolates or scones.
    And no matter how nice they are, I can never have more then two in one go.
    Hope you have a fantastic New Year! See you in 2012!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 7:14 pm Reply

Hello Jane,
      That’s so true! Macarons are everywhere but it’s so so so hard to find good ones :( scones are WORSE, I never seem to find good ones ~
      I can have 4 or 5 macarons at once hahaha it’s so hard to resist :P

Hope you have a wonderful New Year with your family! Looking forward to seeing more amazing photos on your blog!

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 31, 2011 at 2:01 pm Reply

I still compare macarons to the Pierre Herme ones which are so feather light and heavenly! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 7:15 pm Reply

I still haven’t had the chance to try macarons from Pierre Herme :( are they only available in Paris?

Happy New Year Lorraine! Can’t wait to see what you get up to in 2012!

6. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg December 31, 2011 at 4:43 pm Reply

That is always annoying, when something looks so perfect and beautiful but does not taste the same.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm Reply

Yeah I totally agree! I can’t wait to try The Mac Factory in Adelaide! Have a Happy New Year in Sydney :)

7. msihua December 31, 2011 at 6:24 pm Reply

They look lovely but yeah AUD 3.60 for one is mighty expensive! Have a lovely New Years in HK!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2011 at 7:22 pm Reply

Macarons are so expensive here :( But I’m going to continue with me quest of great macarons in HK ~
      Hope you and Boy have a Happy New Year!
      See you in 2012!

8. Michelle chin December 31, 2011 at 7:54 pm Reply

You should go for their pralines next time. I hated pralines to death but lmdc made me a convert. ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 2, 2012 at 2:02 am Reply

Thanks for the comment :) Yup yup i’m planing maybe tomorrow hehe and i wanna try Thomas Haas after reading your post :)

9. Cakelaw January 1, 2012 at 10:57 am Reply

I adore macarons in any shape or form – I would love for Santa to have left me box of these. Happy New Year!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 2, 2012 at 2:03 am Reply

Hahaha me too :) I never use to be a fan of macarons but now i’m ADDICTED ~ Happy New Year to you too hope u had a lovely day!

10. betty January 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm Reply

ooo they look great! bet they were yummy ;)
    happy new yr xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2012 at 7:02 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment Betty :) they were good but not the best macarons i’ve had which is a shame :(