Xmas Feast – Cafe Kool Shangri la Hotel

Happy Holidays everyone :) I hope everyone had a great Christmas with family and friends~ I sure had a wonderful Xmas with Mr Bao :) where we had a massive buffet dinner on Christmas Eve then watched Breaking Dawn Part 1 (I’m a die-hard Twilight fan!)

Wanted to give you guys a review of the buffet dinner we had at the Cafe Kool restaurant at the Shangri La Kowloon hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui East ~

Nice environment but too crowded

It’s been a tradition of Mr Bao and I to have a nice buffet dinner every Christmas eve and we usually book a table 2 weeks in advance…but this year it was crazy! We called 3 weeks before Xmas yet more than 80% of the places we called were already full >_< so I admit Cafe Kool wasn’t our first choice, and the reviews weren’t great either but we decided to give it a go :) and it wasn’t too disappointing yay!

Lots to choose from ~

Being a buffet it had a wide range of dishes for us to choose from ranging from freash seafood, sashimi through to Indian and Chinese dishes :) will go through each type with you briefly ~

Range of Sashimi

Prawns, Crab and Oysters

We started with a few seafood dishes :) I particularly liked the Salmon sashimi really fresh, while Mr Bao really liked the scallops dunno why…I’m simply not a fan hehe the cooked seafood was good, but I don’t think the prawns were the best… the meat was a little powdery.

Indian dishes :)

Chinese dishes ~

We then went on to trying all the other dishes ~ I’m not a big fan of Indian food but the tandoori chicken was quite nice, the prawns were once again a disappointment >_< it didn’t seem very fresh… the Chinese dishes were alright nothing special. Mr Bao and I liked the seafood soup full of flavour ~

Mr Bao's Congee

Then out of no where Mr Bao come back to the table with a bowl of congee and some shanghai dumplings (小龍飽)hahaha I thought it was a little strange to have congee at a buffet…but Mr Bao was really impressed that you were able to put whatever ingredients you wanted so he decided to put – peanuts, salted duck eggs (鹹蛋)and fish. I thought it tasted a little bland but Mr Bao really enjoyed it so I wasn’t going to argue with him hehe

Now to the best part DESSERTS!!!

Lots to choose from!

I had such a hard time choosing what I wanted so…I got one of everything HAHAHA :)

First plate ~

Started off with a chocolate molten cake – simply divine, then the mango tiramisu on the right – not bad would have been better with an extra shot of coffee, then at the back we had the almond tart and orange chocolate truffle cake both good nothing too exciting :(

Plate 2

Then we tried all the other desserts – creme brulee, mango agar agar pudding, chocolate chestnut ball, raspberry meringue, raspberry log cake, pineapple and coconut log cake, chocolate brownie, tomato coco cup and the last but not least new york cheesecake :)

My favourite would have to be the chocolate motel cake and the new york cheesecake! It had the right flavours and texture~ YUM! While my least favourites would be the chestnut chocolate ball as you couldn’t really taste the chestnut and the tomato cup was just so wrong lol it was like having a dessert made out of that V8 vegetable drink!

Cold Rock style ice-cream!

Oh how could I forget, they also had ice-cream where you can add whatever lollies you wanted by smashing it in the ice-cream, just like how they do it at Cold Rock  :) they had four different ice-cream flavours to choose from – chocolate, vanilla, coconut and red bean. Mr Bao and I had chocolate ice-cream with gummy bears really weird and red bean ice-cream with chocolate chips…different but nice.

The buffet dinner cost $858 (HKD) plus 10% service charge per head which is about $120 (AUD) depending on the exchange rate, even though Mr Bao and I had a great time and enjoyed the food, we’ve had better buffets elsewhere, with better food and more importantly better desserts :)

Hope you all had a safe and fun Christmas!!

PS. All pictures were taken from my new camera ~ I hope they’re a lot better than before, but if anyone has any tips or hints they can give me on taking good food photos please leave me a comment! THANKS a bunch xox

Tagged: , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Xmas Feast – Cafe Kool Shangri la Hotel

1. Christine R. December 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm Reply

The food looks amazing! Enjoy the festive season!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 28, 2011 at 5:26 am Reply

Thanks for coming by my blog :) The food was good, definitely had too much to eat hehe

Happy holidays too hope you’ve had fun celebrating!

2. Jane Lee December 28, 2011 at 1:19 am Reply

What a feast indeed!! How nice is it to have so much yummy food prepared for you?! We don’t get these kind of buffets here in UK, I only ever have them when I go to HK.

Hope you have a fantastic New Year’s celebration. With best wishes for 2012 !!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 28, 2011 at 5:27 am Reply

Hello Jane :)
      I didn’t know you guys didn’t have buffets in the UK? Doesn’t matter it gives you an excuse to come back to HK :)

Do you have any plans of coming back for Chinese New Year?

Thanks for the lovely comment! Hope you have a wonderful 2012 too!

3. mrbaobao December 28, 2011 at 4:40 am Reply

The amazing part about scallop sashimi is they are blended with seafood freshness and the ‘sweet’ after taste. It’s nothing like cooked scallops but its tastiness:) You sure can’t argue with me coz it also topped the price in most sushi menus:)
    Hope you enjoyed it, it probably wasn’t the best choice we ever have but it was not a total disappointment.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 28, 2011 at 5:31 am Reply

Yes yes okay i get it you’re the sushi king :P you have the best tastes hahaha I really enjoyed the buffet, even thought it wasn’t the best at least we had lots of fun and special thanks to you for taking the great photos and hahaha plating it all so NICELY :)

4. bakingaddict December 28, 2011 at 6:09 am Reply

Looks like a feast indeed. I love scallop sashimi! The desserts look great. And the photos are great too. Looks like you had a good time. What’s your plan for New Year?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm Reply

Thanks Ros :) still learning how to use the camera and take decent looking photos haahhaa I had a great time, ate way too much though hehe.

We haven’t planned anything for New Years yet…but I should probably start hehe what about you?

5. Christie @ Fig & Cherry December 28, 2011 at 9:27 am Reply

That ice cream bar reminds me of trips to Pizza Hut when we were little…hehe.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 28, 2011 at 9:27 pm Reply

Really? I didn’t know there was an ice-cream bar at Pizza hut :) Happy Holidays and thanks for commenting!

6. msihua December 28, 2011 at 10:58 am Reply

THAT looks like an explosive meal! I can’t believe that there is so much food. But that’s the thing with Asian vs Western buffets.. completely different and so much better in variety!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 28, 2011 at 9:28 pm Reply

That’s true! There’s always so much food at Asian buffets! I remember the one I had at the Mandarin Oriental there was an unlimited supply of Foie Gras!!! insanely good too :) hahaha what are buffets like in KL? Can’t wait to go!

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm Reply

I can never do buffets enough justice as I can’t eat enough to ever make it worth it! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2011 at 3:21 am Reply

Hahaha i know what u mean! Thx god Mr Bao eats a lot so i’m able to taste everything and he eats it and we try to share everything and not get seconds unless it’s really good :)

8. Cakelaw December 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm Reply

Wow, what a fab buffet lunch! And you are a girl after my own heart – the desserts are the best part.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2011 at 3:22 am Reply

Hahaha I can totally skip the savoury and main dishes and go straight to the dessert :) i once went to a dessert buffet with Mr Bao as soon as he saw all the desserts he said he wanted to shoot himself HAHAHA ~

9. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake December 29, 2011 at 1:07 am Reply

Is that BUFFET I see? You’re making me soooooo hungry! XD But dang, that’s not a cheap meal, although it looks so fantastic. I don’t ever eat that much at buffets so I probably wouldn’t pay so much for a meal..:P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2011 at 3:25 am Reply

Yup yup a very asian style buffet :) yeah it’s not cheap but they’ve increased the price because it’s on Christmas eve and for the desserts I’m happy to pay!!!