First Recipe – Gingerbread Men

ONE day LEFT till it’s OFFICIALLY Christmas!!! I am so thrilled :) it’s been a bit of a wait hehe I’d like to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS with their significant other, family and friends!!!

I wanted to share with you, my very first recipe post – “Gingerbread Men” it’s the very first time I’ve made them…I’m not really a fan of gingerbread men so I was a little worried that they wouldn’t turn out the way I wanted them to…but thanks to the Baking Addict’s wonderful recipe and Sasa’s (my bestfriend) help the cookies turned out perfectly!!

My ugly gingerbread men hahaha

Even though they look and taste perfect, I’ve gotta work on my decorating skills hahaha i didn’t seem to be able to draw the facial features properly grrrr so i ended up wrapping them up without any decorations and gave it to my family as a Xmas gift ~ they didn’t seem to mind that some were so ugly family love is so forgiving :)

Recipe: Gingerbread Men
Adapted from The Baking Addict

Makes: Approximately 24 gingerbread men (depending on the size of the cookie cutter)

125g Unsalted Butter (softened)
110 Dark Brown Sugar
2.5 Cups Plain flour (sifted)
1 Egg yolk
1 tsb Bi-carb Soda
4 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
270ml Golden Syrup

(Note: Baking Addicts recipe asks for 2 tsp of mixed spice, I didn’t have any at home so I just used what I had :)

• Preheat oven to 160C/320F
  • Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in a bowl until smooth
  • Stir in the remaining ingredients until mixed properly
  • You may need to add a little more golden syrup if the mixture is crumbly or too dry
  • Knead the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to approximately 5mm in thickness.
  • Cut shapes using cookie cutters (or templates for the gingerbread house)
  • Place on a baking tray and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until they are brown (a little hard to tell because the doughs a brown colour)
  • Cool on a rack until cookies harden
  • Decorate the cookies anyway you want :)

Please visit the Baking Addict’s blog at http://themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.com  for more recipes and baking tips! She’s my number one supporter and I’d like to say a HUGE thank you to the Baking Addict for all the encouragement!

What  do you have planned for Christmas? Family gatherings or spending time with friends? Would love to know how everyone else is celebrating this special day ~ Mr Bao and I have a tradition, where we spend Christmas eve together without any family or friends and have a nice dinner for two :D

Have a wonderful day!!

PS. I promise this is the last time you will see blurry, low quality and unprofessional photos on this blog because as an early Xmas pressie to myself, I finally got a new camera :) the Olympus EPL3 YAY!!!

Source: Olympus

Tagged: , , , ,

13 thoughts on “First Recipe – Gingerbread Men

1. Cakelaw December 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm Reply

These are adorable!!!!!! Merry Xmas.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm Reply

Thank you :) They’re not as pretty as I would’ve liked the to turn out hehe but thanks anyway!! Merry Xmas hope you have a wonderful day~

2. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake December 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm Reply

They look too cute to eat!! Merry Christmas! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm Reply

Merry Christmas Jenny :) Thanks for coming by my blog! Have a great day!

3. Faith December 25, 2011 at 3:25 am Reply

Your gingerbread men look wonderful — I’m sure they taste fantastic too! Yay for your early Christmas gift!! Have fun with it. :)

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm Reply

Thank you very much Faith!! Merry Christmas and I hope you have a wonderful year ahead of you! :) With the release of your book YAY!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 25, 2011 at 8:29 am Reply

Merry Christmas Daisy! Your gingerbread men are too cute! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm Reply

Merry Christmas Lorraine :) hahaha they’re small and cute but not that pretty hehe but doesn’t matter it was my first attempt ~
      Hope you have a great day with Mr NQN and your family!

5. bakingaddict December 28, 2011 at 6:07 am Reply

Thanks for the mention. So pleased the recipe worked for you. Your gingerbreadmen are adorable!! I like the decorations – I’m really bad at them myself! Love your new camera :) So jealous. Christmas was a bit quiet this year but good fun. Lots of food, fun and laughter :)

6. Cupcake Crazy Gem January 1, 2012 at 3:30 am Reply

Oh thank you very much! Happy New Year to you as well! Congrats on your first recipe, the gingerbread men turned out great and I love the way you wrapped them up in cellophane – so cute!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 1, 2012 at 6:20 am Reply

Thanks for coming by my blog :) Yeah i know first recipe, one of my new year resolution is to post more recipes, but because I’m overseas right now it’s a little hard hehe

Hope you had a wonderful New Years eve and a even better year ahead of you!

All the best!

7. Choc Chip Uru March 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm Reply

Sooo adorable – love these and I can’t believe how perfect they look :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm Reply

Thank you for dropping by my blog ;) I didn’t have my new camera then hehe the photos aren’t my best but thanks ~ My boyfriend and family seemed to liked it ~