Taiwan Treasures – Ai Yu (Fig) Jelly

4 more days everyone TILL it’s CHRISTMAS!!! Yay!!! Sorry for being quiet the past few days :) I went on a quick 3 day 2 night trip to Taiwan with my sister ~ Let me quickly introduce you to my sister – Win Win (She chose the name) she’s the most annoying person but is also my best friend and partner in crime :) we basically have the same hobbies and tastes! We both love desserts, macarons and cheese ~ only difference is…I like liquorice and she hates it haha

City view of Kaohsiung

Beautiful day ~

For those who aren’t familiar with Taiwan ~ It’s a small island on the Southeast of China and is shaped like a leaf. Up the top there’s Taipei, its capital city and down towards the southwest there’s Kaohsiung the second largest city in Taiwan. And that’s where we went :) I’ve been to Kaohsiung a couple of times because Win Win has frequent business trips to Taiwan and I always tag along . I have a soft spot for Taiwan, I think it’s a beautiful place where the people are always friendly and its never the same, there is always something new for me to explore!

Taiwan is also known for their food, especially street food and snacks :) and after thinking for a long time I just HAD to share with you guys, my love for the Ai Yu Jelly ()!!! The literal translation of Ai Yu Jelly is ‘Love Jade Jelly’ and the story behind it is, the jelly is named after the daughter of a Taiwanese business man who developed this recipe in the 1800s and since then has been a popular Taiwanese dessert.

Anyway, Ai Yu jelly is basically a jelly served with a lemon sugar syrup and is made from a native type of fig “climbing fig” found in Taiwan.

"Climbing Fig"

Source: Wikipedia

The fruit from the fig trees are turned inside out, where the seeds are left to dry and the seeds are then used to produce the jelly :) If would like to know more about making the Ai Yu Jelly you can visit Pure and Holy and if you understand Chinese this Youtube video is great because it shows you the whole process ~

The finish product - Ai Yu Jelly $20 TWD ($0.65 AUD)

I know some of you might be scratching your head right now :) “Why is she going crazy about this jelly? Isn’t jelly jelly?” hahaha I know it’s hard to comprehend and it’s quite hard to explain why I love this jelly so much! But I think it’s because its so refreshing with the lemon sugar syrup, it’s great for quenching anyone’s thirst and I think it’ll work great as an appetiser!

2 bowls in a row

I was SO obsessed both Win Win and I had 2 bowls in a row!!! And we went back for another 2 bowls the next day!!!

You can easily find stalls/carts selling Ai Yu Jelly at most night markets in Taiwan such as – Shilin Night Marketand the one I went to at the Liu He Night Market.

They often look something like this ~

There’s no English menus so it might be harder for those who don’t know Chinese, but either way I hope I’ve enticed you to explore Taiwan and try their famous AI YU JELLY!!!

Liu He Night Market
Liuhe Rd., Kaohsiung City.

Tagged: , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Taiwan Treasures – Ai Yu (Fig) Jelly

1. Jane Lee December 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm Reply

Fascinating! Thank you for telling us about this yummy scrummy Ai Yu Jelly. Really want to try it now :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 22, 2011 at 10:45 pm Reply

Hello Jane!!!
      WOW Thank you so much for coming by my blog!!! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and you’re photos are always amazing hahaha I bought a cake stand after looking at your pics!

When you get a chance you’ve gotta try it! The Ai Yu Jelly is SO SO SO nice!! they’ve got prepackaged ones at Park N Shop in Hong Kong now :) but it’s not as good >_<

2. msihua December 22, 2011 at 8:27 pm Reply

I’ll need a tour guide for this! I no speak taiwanese :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm Reply

No worries I’ll be more than happy to take you around or give you all the tips and hints :) You’ll be fine though everyone’s so so so NICE~

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm Reply

I really need to try this jelly now after your raves!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm Reply

You’ve gotta go to Taiwan you’ll have SO much fun Lorraine :)

4. mrbaobao December 23, 2011 at 3:24 am Reply

I think its good and refreshing, but I am not that into it:) I think the childhood colourful ‘cough medicine’ tasting jellies are more attractive~ anyway I do think I miss out a lot for not going to Taiwan with ya! Let me save up and let’s go again sometime later:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 23, 2011 at 3:36 am Reply

HAHAHA really? I didn’t know you didn’t like Ai Yu cuz when we went last time you said you liked it :P
      Yes we’ve gotta go back to Taiwan together it’s such a nice place!!! I always have SO much fun!

5. mrbaobao December 23, 2011 at 3:27 am Reply

It also seems quite easy to make if you have successfully collected the seeds:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 23, 2011 at 3:36 am Reply

I wanna see if I can find the seeds and make it at home :) i heard it’s supposed to be really good for the body too ~ and low in calories woo hoo!

6. Faith December 23, 2011 at 6:18 am Reply

Looks like you and your sister had such a fun trip to Taiwan! The Ai Yu Jelly is new to me, but I’d love to try it! I love foods with a story like this…they’re so much more interesting. :)

I’m wishing you a very Merry Christmas, Daisy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 24, 2011 at 3:19 am Reply

Thanks Faith Merry Christmas to you too :) Any plans?

I love going on holidays with my sister ahhaha even though we always end up clashing about one thing or the other but it’s nice to have some time away without or partners or her baby boy ~

Me too! Love food stories hehe I’m always Googling different types of food and ingredients and getting the story behind them :)

7. bakingaddict December 23, 2011 at 11:01 am Reply

I’ve never been to Taiwan but would love to visit one day. I will however require an interpreter. It’s great that you get to spend time with your sister and that you share similar tastes. I’m with her on the liquorice :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 24, 2011 at 3:20 am Reply

LOL you know what i should meet you half way and then we should go travelling sometime together :) think we’ll be great travel buddies ~~ Yup so glad my sister got a few days off to go away hahaha didn’t know so many people didn’t like liquorice :D love it!

8. Hannah December 23, 2011 at 12:51 pm Reply

That’s incredible! I had no idea fig seeds could be used like this. I hope I can visit Taiwan one day; a friend of mine is currently teaching over there and is stockpiling such amazing stories :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 24, 2011 at 3:22 am Reply

Neither did i :) i never thought it was made outta fig i knew it was some kinda plant but figs wow hahaha and they don’t even need to use any gelatine it has a natural setting agent WOW :)

You’ve gotta go visit your friend in Taiwan when you can ~ Such an amazing place!

9. cat December 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm Reply

Merry Christmas, Daisy! welcome to blogging and I hope you have a wonderful 2012 ahead :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 24, 2011 at 3:23 am Reply

Thank you very much Cat :) you’ve been amazing before and since I’ve started the blog! Really hope we’ll get the chance to meet in person one day! Merry Christmas to you too!!