Tassie Trip – Sweet Envy

Wanted to take everyone on a flight back to Australia with me and head down to Tasmania with me today in this post :) even though I’m physically still in Hong Kong and will be for a while ~

In August this year, Mr Bao and I went down to Tassie for the first time together with some friends . It wasn’t my first time, I had gone for the first time last year with my family and even though so many people have told me how boring Tassie is…I really enjoyed it :) Especially Port Arthur! It has both a serene yet eerie atmosphere and I love all the historical buildings.

Beautiful scenery at Port Arthur

But unlike last year travelling with my parents who only eat ‘Chinese food’, I was able to explore Hobart with my friends and that’s when I found Sweet Envy! It was totally by luck, we were have breakfast at the Rain Check Lounge (will be another post about that later on) and VOILA Sweet Envy was just across the road, just begging me to go check it out!

My friends taking pics :)

I remember rushing across the road while poor Mr Bao was looking for me hahaha I was already inside choosing what I wanted to try and what to take home ~ you can’t blame me! Just look at all the goodies they have!

She was the nice lady who served us and is the sister-in-law of the owners and creators of all these lovely sweets Alistair and Teena who are Tassie natives, did their training here before moving to Melbourne and even worked in London for Gordan Ramsay!

There was simply TOO much to choose from! Ranging from their freshly made savoury sandwiches through to their cupcakes, cakes, macarons, cookies and how could I forget the ice-cream!

I had my first honey ice-cream then and there at Sweet Envy! The honey flavour wasn’t overpowering and it was just right! They had some other unique flavours too like Raspberry Rhubarb and liquorice :) but the honey was by far the best!

We all ordered and shared different flavours of  ice-cream and after some nagging Mr Bao and I took the Hazel Nut Caramel Brulee cake, the Crounching Strawberry Hidden Pandon (gotta love the names) and half a dozen of macarons to enjoy on the flight back home.

We enjoyed the cakes they were both pretty nice especially the Hazel Nut Caramel Brulee yum yum I particularly liked the different flavours each layer offered cream, the hazelnut cream was very delicious!

Unfortunately, I didn’t like the macarons at all…sorry forgot to take photos of them! They were really big and dry, when you bite into them they’re empty and just crumble in your fingers.  This was a major disappointment as we really enjoyed the other desserts they had to offer.

I would recommend anyone going to Hobart to visit Sweet Envy, they have so much to offer you wouldn’t want to miss out! And remember you HAVE to try their ice-cream!

Sweet Envy on Urbanspoon

Before I go I just wanted to say a huge thank you to my friend Kirk for his wonderful photos that I’ve used in this post and another thank you to Faith from An Edible Mosaic for sharing her story about Copyright Infringement. I’ve decided to put a watermark on all photos used on my blog from now on :)  Everyone else please be careful because your recipes and photos can easily be stolen.

Tagged: , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Tassie Trip – Sweet Envy

1. Adrian (Food Rehab) December 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm Reply

This place looks great! Tassie is full of gems – loved Jackman and Mcross Bakery, Bruny Island oysters and the scallop pies. Must visit Sweet Envy when I go back!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2011 at 2:21 am Reply

Oh gosh I’ve never heard of any of those places :( I’m gonna try them out next time i go!
      But i really liked the scallop pies and the Salamanca Market ~
      Definitely try Sweet Envy!

2. cat December 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm Reply

Tasmania is meant to be really chillaxed and nice to drive around. Believe it or not I was born there lol but haven’t been back since I was 2 but I really want to!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2011 at 2:27 am Reply

It’s definitely a good place to relax and clear the mind ~ really you were born there?! WOW hehe you’ve gotta go back and check it out!!!

3. Iron Chef Shellie December 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm Reply

Ahhh Tassie!! Port Arthur is a gorgeous place for photography… need to go back to Tassie!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2011 at 2:30 am Reply

I love that place! I’ve gone 2 years in a row hehe but it’s got a creepy feeling at night :( go for a trip when you have the time i’m sure you’ll have fun!

4. msihua December 14, 2011 at 11:25 pm Reply

Oooh! Looks fab! I really need to visit Tassie at some point in my life :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2011 at 2:33 am Reply

You have to go! I really like it! :) Love the seafood! The oysters we remember having a dozen and half each hehe

5. Christy December 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm Reply

I want to go there too, Tasmania sounds like a lovely place!:) That’s the thing about Australia, it tends to linger on your mind long after your trip and makes you miss it all the time! I went to Perth last year, and I still miss the place until now, and your post just makes me wanna book a flight almost immediately and fly there!:p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm Reply

Thanks for visiting my blog Christy :)
      That’s so true!!! before going to Tassie I was a bit reluctant…thought it was going to be too country-like for me but i’m totally into it hahaha I can’t wait to go back and share with you guys more treasures I find there ~
      How was Perth? I’ve never been would love to go some day ~

6. Loveforfood December 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm Reply

This is such a mouth watering preparation,can’t wait to try it

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment :) I definitely recommend going! And the whole North Hobart suburb is just so pretty with so many places to explore~

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm Reply

The cupcake icing reminds me of ice cream cones! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 16, 2011 at 3:19 am Reply

Hahaha i know what u mean :) too bad i didn’t get to try them ~

8. bakingaddict December 16, 2011 at 9:44 am Reply

This looks great. I’ve always wanted to visit Tasmania but still have not been despite my aunt’s constant invitation. Maybe next year :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 17, 2011 at 2:47 am Reply

You have an aunty in Tassie? Great more of an excuse to come down!!! :) We’re waiting for you! And will you come with gifts ahhahaha i’m looking forward to all your baked goodies!!!

9. Faith December 17, 2011 at 1:30 am Reply

What a beautiful trip, thank you so much for sharing it with us! That photo of Port Arthur is lovely — definitely a place I would love to visit! The sweets are all gorgeous, I would have had such a hard time deciding on something, lol. Sorry to hear that the macs were disappointing, but I’m glad the cakes were good!

Thank you so much for mentioning my article…I’m hoping it really helps the food blogging community!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 17, 2011 at 2:45 am Reply

You’re very welcome Faith! Thanks for sharing your story! It’s really helped me :) And you’ve gotta come down to Australia sometime! You’ve gotta come to Melbourne first hehe that’s where I am ~

The macarons really weren’t great but at least all the other sweets were great!