Weekend Getaway – Beechworth Bakery

Hello everyone,

Before I get on with today’s post, I just wanted to say a BIG BIG THANK YOU to Cat, Maya, Michele, Emma, I-Hua and Lorraine! Who have all either emailed/commented and subscribed to this blog!!!

I don’t know  how to thank you all for the encouragement and support you have all given me! I never in a million years would I have the courage to start a food blog and move from a ‘silent reader’ to a content generating AUTHOR wow lol :)

Today, I wanted to give you guys a review of the Beechworth Bakery that I visited last week when my friends and I decided to drive up to Beechworth for the weekend. I’ve been waiting to go back to Beechworth for more than 10 years!!! Hahhaa I remember the last time I was in Beechworth…it was with my primary school for the Grade 5 camp…gosh I feel old…that was MORE than 10 years ago!

For those who aren’t familiar with Beechworth, it’s a small town about 3 hours away  from Melbourne in the High Country region. Nice place to go for the weekend and go back in time with the historical buildings and museums all around.

The Beechworth Bakery is a chain of bakeries in regional Victoria, created by Tom O’Toole in 1984, even though they all used the same name ‘Beechworth Bakery’ this is the original one. I just HAD to go and try hehe bread is one of my guilty pleasures…I try to do the right thing and ‘stay away’ from all the ‘white starchy’ breads…but it’s just TOO hard to resist :)

Look at all the different types of CAKES :) It took me a good minute to take everything in hahaha I simply couldn’t choose what I wanted! I was tossing in between a pie or a quiche or maybe I should just omit the savoury and have all sweets lol I was taking so long that Mr. Bao ordered first without me!
How rude! I ended up asking the nice lady behind the counter for some advice and here’s what we got:

Mini Quiche

Ned Kelly Pie

I convinced myself that 2 mini quiches were less ‘fattening’ than one big pie, I’m pretty sure it’s not true…but doesn’t matter it made me feel better that it has the word ‘mini’ on the label. The quiches’ were alright…nothing special really…and even though I liked the filling, I thought the pastry case was too thick. Mr. Bao got the infamous Ned Kelly Pie which has a filling of egg. bacon and potato on top really rich but he seemed to enjoy it :)

Now to the SWEETS:

Vanilla Slice

Beesting so nice!

I quickly scoffed down the quiches and rushed back to the counter to get all the sweet things I wanted to try :) the nice lady came back to me and suggested that I get the vanilla slice and their famous beesting! I was a little skeptical of the beesting at first…but boy I was SO wrong it was soooooooooo NICE! For those who don’t know the beesting is a sweet bun cut in half, sandwiched with vanilla custard in between topped with toasted flaked almonds and icing sugar! SIMPLY DIVINE!!!

Now looking back, it was a little silly to get the vanilla slice because it’s quite similar to the beesting… and it wasn’t as good, the pastry was once again too thick…I still think The French Lettuce has the best vanilla slice in Melbourne! Will hopefully write a post about that next time I visit :)

I highly recommend anyone going to Beechworth to stop by at the Beechworth Bakery! It’s not a patisserie so they don’t have really fancy things but DEFINITELY go try the beesting!

Overall, it was a great weekend away with friends after our exams, it was a little bittersweet because most of my friends are leaving Melbourne for good in the next couple of months. Glad we were able to spend some time together before we go our separate ways.

Thanks again for all the comments and support!

Much appreciated!

Daisy

Tagged: , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Weekend Getaway – Beechworth Bakery

1. Nic@diningwithastud November 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm Reply

Vanilla slice is one of my faves. my gradnma makes a fab one. Love that theirs is pink :) too cute

• flower127 November 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm Reply

Hello Nic :) Thanks for the comment! I’m fairly new so it’s always nice to hear from someone ~
      Vanilla slice is one of my new found loves lol i never use to like it because I thought it was too rich but now after having a few goods ones…I can’t stop having them!

2. cat November 30, 2011 at 4:31 pm Reply

Wow look at all those yummy things in the window! I don’t think I could stop myself, I have such a bad sweet tooth… YUM!

• flower127 December 1, 2011 at 4:15 am Reply

Hey Cat :)
      It was SO hard to just get TWO i was going to get more…but then Mr. Bao and my friends stopped me… i guess it’s for my own good but i’m gonna drive to the Beechworth Bakery in Healsville to get another one of those Beestings ~

3. Spencer November 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm Reply

Looks like a nice place. Exactly the kind of place to satisfy my sweet tooth!

• flower127 December 1, 2011 at 5:31 am Reply

Thanks for the comment :) Definitely go try it out if you get the chance, it sure satisfied my very BIG sweet tooth~

4. penny aka jeroxie November 30, 2011 at 9:03 pm Reply

Keep going and don’t give up. You are doing great

• flower127 December 1, 2011 at 4:14 am Reply

Thanks Penny :) i’m definitely going to try my best! I think I’ve gotta work on my photography skills though hahaha

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 30, 2011 at 9:29 pm Reply

You’re very welcome! And I love Beechworth, so much to see and do and most importantly eat! :P

• flower127 December 1, 2011 at 4:14 am Reply

Me too! I’m definitely going back with Mr Bao soon! I wanna check out the place called Provenance and go back to this little shop where they have the BEST coffee :)

6. Q November 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm Reply

The Ned Kelly pie looks good…probably something not sooooo sweet??!!

• flower127 December 1, 2011 at 4:13 am Reply

Hello QQ :) thanks for checking out my blog! Yeah the Ned Kelly Pie was a savoury one, I just wanted to skip right to the sweet things :P See you soon!

7. msihua December 5, 2011 at 9:08 pm Reply

Oops! I didn’t even see your acknowledgement here :) Thanks for the mention! Did you know Beechworth is where the Boy and I got engaged? So it’s a very special place to us :)

• flower127 December 6, 2011 at 1:38 am Reply

That’s alright ;) Ahh I didn’t know that’s so sweet!! I wanna try out provenance too but didn’t get the chance last time ~ when’s the wedding? ;)

8. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg December 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm Reply

Mmm custard:) Nothing like a good custard. Beesting is a very nice cake. I like the soft custard and the crunchy nuts. This bakery seems nice – they put smiles on the cupcakes!:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm Reply

Thanks for coming by my blog! :) I definitely love the Beesting and the bakery can’t wait to go back and get some more food from them ~

9. pozycjonowanie warszawa December 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm Reply

Very good blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused .. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm Reply

Hello there!
      Thank you so much for the lovely message and coming by my blog.
      I’m totally flattered that you’re asking me for some advice. Because as you see i’m VERY new to all this myself hehe :)
      I started to blog 2 weeks ago and it’s simply been the best decision I’ve made! I was sitting on the fence…wasn’t sure if I should…how I should… I emailed a few bloggers and they all gave me some great tips and advice.

1) If you’re not tech savvy (I’m definitely not) I think it’s best to start off with a free platform e.g. WordPress, Blogger, Typepad – I I’ve used both WordPress and Blogger and find WordPress to be much better. Much more sophisticated.
      2) JUST DO IT hehe I remember another blogger telling me that it’s so true! not JUST DO IT :)
      3) It takes time to build up your blog, it’s definitely taken me some time to get the hang of everything. Don’t rush it take your time and it’ll all work out.

I’m not sure if this helped…but if you’d like more information I’m more than happy to help (if i can hahaha) my email is nevertoosweet.daisy@gmail.com.

Good luck and I’m looking forward to your blog!!!

10. Beechworth March 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm Reply

Great to see you enjoyed your trip to Beechworth. May I dare to suggest that there is plenty to see other than the Bakery, though no trip to Beechworth would be complete without a Beesting. The LAke, the waterfalls, the old asylum….the list goes on… maybe next time. Jamie ( Beechworth)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm Reply

Hello Jamie :) Thank you for your suggestions! I had a lovely time in Beechworth last time and would have loved to visit the waterfalls, however, I was only there for a couple of days. Will have to come back again soon :)